Anyone know/remember this text adventure?

General chit-chat, ramblings, odds and ends.

Moderator: Alastair

catventure

Anyone know/remember this text adventure?

#1 Post by catventure » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:22 pm

Anyone else recall a Spectrum quill text adventure (possibly on 80's mag coverdisk) based on the "Chymical Wedding of Christian Rosencreutz" (an allegorical manuscript published in 1616) Does it exist/survive? Is there a snapshot of the game?
All I can remember is that you started off in a deep dark pit and had to somehow climb out by grasping a swinging rope or chain... I haven't seen or heard of this adventure in years - but sure I am not imagining it. Mid-80's, I think..?

Regards,
catventure.
TAB is an offline, downloadable, parser-based retro text adventure/interactive creator for Windows XP and above.
It is similar to popular 80's adventure creators like QUILL, PAW, STAC or GAC.
http://tab.thinbasic.com/

Perkinson

Re: Anyone know/remember this text adventure?

#2 Post by Perkinson » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:36 pm

catventure wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:22 pm
Anyone else recall a Spectrum quill text adventure (possibly on 80's mag coverdisk) based on the "Chymical Wedding of Christian Rosencreutz" (an allegorical manuscript published in 1616) Does it exist/survive? Is there a snapshot of the game?
All I can remember is that you started off in a deep dark pit and had to somehow climb out by grasping a swinging rope or chain... I haven't seen or heard of this adventure in years - but sure I am not imagining it. Mid-80's, I think..?

Regards,
catventure.
That's a bit before my time, but I was always fascinated by 80's text adventures. Haven't heard of this particular one though, sadly.
Last edited by Perkinson on Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gunness
Site Admin

#3 Post by Gunness » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:01 am

I seem to recall coming across it at some point, possibly registering it in our database. No guarantees, though!

Strident

#4 Post by Strident » Tue May 07, 2019 2:01 pm

Still haven't spotted anything like this referenced online, even scouring the text of the magazines stored on the Internet archive.

The closest I've come across is The Pilgrim's Progress, which is based on a similar allegorical piece, albeit an English one, from 1678.

Maybe it only exists in a parallel universe and you need to actually write the adventure yourself?

Gunness
Site Admin

#5 Post by Gunness » Wed May 08, 2019 8:12 am

Ohhhh.... sort of like sending brainwaves back from the future commanding you to code a new game in the present? I'd play that game any day :D