You are the hero - Fighting Fantasy gamebooks

General chit-chat, ramblings, odds and ends.

Moderator: Alastair

Gunness
Site Admin

Re: You are the hero - Fighting Fantasy gamebooks

#16 Post by Gunness » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:37 pm

As an avid boardgamer, I just had to back The 7th Continent, which is sort of the game equivalent of a FF gamebook. I think it looks very promising indeed :D (and a bit pricey, but there seems to be a lot of content included)

Take a look:

Alex

#17 Post by Alex » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:40 pm

Look certainly interesting. I'll think about it. Did you ever play the official Fighting Fantasy board games?

Mr Creosote

#18 Post by Mr Creosote » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:42 pm

Talking about the original books, a friend and me have discussed the first two recently:

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
The Citadel of Chaos

More to follow :)

Alex

#19 Post by Alex » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:29 pm

Mr Creosote wrote:Talking about the original books, a friend and me have discussed the first two recently
Thanks for pointing it out. I just read them. It was interesting to read them and remember the elements discussed although it has been a very long time ago when I actually played those two titles. I look forward to read more of them.

Gunness
Site Admin

#20 Post by Gunness » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:19 am

Alex wrote:Look certainly interesting. I'll think about it. Did you ever play the official Fighting Fantasy board games?
I tried the free print'n'play version (a small teaser game), and it seemed like a lot of fun.The campaign only runs for another couple of days if you want to join in :)ox

Oh, I tried Warlock of Firetop Mountain once. It was... old fashioned :) I think game design has come a long way since the mid-80s, and it just seemed pretty random and un-engaging. So not for me, but possibly others.

Btw, great reviews, Hannes - I definitely agree that CoC is the better of the two (and that the magic system is, erm, a bit uninspired!) - I'll have to dig out my book from its current location: a cleverly unmarked box amoung numerous others in the garage - argh!

Alex

#21 Post by Alex » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:39 pm

Gunness wrote:The campaign only runs for another couple of days if you want to join in :)ox
I know. Yesterday I watched the video and read all the options to back up. I'm thinking about doing the 89 Euro pledge and if I like the game buy the other expansions afterwards, but I'm not sure because I think the price is rather high and the game won't be published before October 2016. Well I still have 48 hours to think about it :)
Gunness wrote: Oh, I tried Warlock of Firetop Mountain once. It was... old fashioned :) I think game design has come a long way since the mid-80s, and it just seemed pretty random and un-engaging. So not for me, but possibly others.
I think I'm one of the others :) I quite like to play it once in a while. I prefer it above the other board game 'Legend of Zagor' in which you have to have a lot of luck to win the final battle also I preferred they didn't include the 40k computer (after a while one gets the urge to 'accidently' spill your drink over it in order to silence it :) )

Gunness
Site Admin

#22 Post by Gunness » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:14 am

Re: 7th Continent - why not go for the €59 pledge then? You still get the large number of KS exclusives (which I'm not a fan of, mind you), and if you like the game you can always get more expansions later. If not, then you've saved €30 :)
I think you'll get a lot of playing time for your money, so the price is okay with me. But I agree, it IS a lot of money!

And yes, the game is far away at the moment, but 1) there's no telling when it'll be in shops, 2) the price will probably be higher and 3) you miss out on the exclusive stuff.

I don't think I have even heard of Legend of Zagor - will check it out :D

Alex

#23 Post by Alex » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:52 pm

I'm in. I pledged the game. Adding a free exclusive goat definitely made the difference :lol:

Gunness
Site Admin

#24 Post by Gunness » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:14 pm

Great - I don't know what it is about goats and Kickstarter projects. People also went totally bunkers over a goat during the latest Broken Sword campaign :D
I've prepared the print'n'play version and will test it during the weekend. If the test game turns out to be terrible, I guess I'll have a very expensive door stop in a year or so!

Alex

#25 Post by Alex » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:18 pm

Gunness wrote:I've prepared the print'n'play version and will test it during the weekend. If the test game turns out to be terrible, I guess I'll have a very expensive door stop in a year or so!
And did you test it? Was it good or am I to become the proud owner of over a 100 coasters to put below a cup of hot chocolate milk :D ?

Gunness
Site Admin

#26 Post by Gunness » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:28 am

Alex, mi amigo - you'll have enough coasters to throw a cocktail party for half your city! Terrible, just terrible!

(Just kidding :D) I had a lot of fun and got right back into the old FF mood. Mind you, the pnp is missing a lot of features of the final version, but the core mechanics are in place, and they seem very solid. If you have access to a colour printer, it's only 8 pages - double sided. Anything to pass the waiting time.

Alex

#27 Post by Alex » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:47 pm

Off to the mall to buy some other coasters then to use on my table :). The game looks very interesting indeed and while I wait I think I'll play some of the original gamebooks. Although I've them all a lot of them I never played before due to a lack of time. Furthermore Christmas is coming and someone :) gave me the hint to obtain a copy of the board game "Sherlock Holmes Consulting detective" and because I know Santa very well :) guess what I'm getting this year.

Today I was looking at my board games on my attic and between them I found an unused version of Battle Masters (half painted but never assembled). Did anyone play this? I never played it due to the battle mat being huge and not having enough space to put it down. Is it worth making some free space for it and to assemble all miniatures?

I also recovered some other rpg games: Dark World, Hero Quest with its expansions, the Dutch version of the German RPG The Dark Eye and Dungeons & Dragons: The Fantasy Adventure board game. Long time since I've been playing these. Good thing winter is coming :).

Gunness
Site Admin

#28 Post by Gunness » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:12 pm

Never played Battle Masters, but incidentally my wife and I are going to try another Holmes case this weekend (guess who asked Santa to get the wife something nice last Christmas ;) )

Btw, if you're into tactical fantasy combat, give Summoner Wars a look - it's a lot of fun.

Alex

#29 Post by Alex » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:43 pm

Gunness wrote:(guess who asked Santa to get the wife something nice last Christmas ;) )
You are not going to tell me it is the same person who hinted me to obtain a copy, are you? :) (are you a stockholder of this game by any chance? :lol: )
Gunness wrote:Btw, if you're into tactical fantasy combat, give Summoner Wars a look - it's a lot of fun.
Looks interesting, but I think I'll have to wait until next Christmas :)

dave

#30 Post by dave » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:15 am

The games company Tin Man has the rights to electronically convert these games to the PC. I own a few of them on Steam (Appointment with FEAR, Caverns of the Snow Witch, Starship Traveller and The Forest of Doom - they've also done House of Hell although I don't own that one yet).

They're pretty much exact conversions, although they've redone the graphics.

For example: http://store.steampowered.com/app/348180/

Playing through them reminded me exactly how bad Caverns of the Snow Witch was!