Hello!

General chit-chat, ramblings, odds and ends.

Moderator: Alastair

J. J. Guest

Hello!

#1 Post by J. J. Guest » Thu May 22, 2008 9:04 pm

My name is Jason Guest and I just joined! I'm the author of two or three games written with TADS and Adrift, and I'm currently learning Inform 7. I'm also an afficionado of old 8-bit text adventures and stumbled upon this place whilst looking for the solution to "Woodland Terror" by MP Software!

I'm now looking for the solution to "Inner Space", another BBC game by Potter Programs. I solved it once, years ago, but now I'm stuck again! Can anybody help?

Anyhow, just posting to say hi!

- Jason

dave

Re: Hello!

#2 Post by dave » Sun May 25, 2008 11:03 pm

J. J. Guest wrote:I'm now looking for the solution to "Inner Space", another BBC game by Potter Programs. I solved it once, years ago, but now I'm stuck again! Can anybody help?
The Stairway to Hell has seems to have a tape version. BeebEm should be able to load these files.

If you're having problems I can try and transfer it to a BBC disk image for you.

J. J. Guest

#3 Post by J. J. Guest » Tue May 27, 2008 10:11 am

Thanks Dave! Actually I had already downloaded the game. I was hoping for a walkthrough; I'm stuck with getting past the gnome in the garden of dead flowers! I'd recommend this game (for the BBC B / Electron) for its creepy atmosphere and touches of surreal humour. The premise is that you're a car crash victim, in a coma, struggling to escape from a world created by your own subconscious (so, not unlike the premise of a certain popular BBC TV drama, in fact.) I've been thinking of porting it to Inform 7 for a while, but I need to solve it first!

dave

#4 Post by dave » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:27 am

Oops, sorry for the late reply... The game is just in BBC basic - so it should be easy to work out the little details... I've got a few programs that'll convert a BBC Basic program to a text listing.

dave

#5 Post by dave » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:23 pm

Having played the game through now, you need to THROW the demonic STATUETTE to scare the gnome away...

J. J. Guest

#6 Post by J. J. Guest » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:56 pm

Thanks for your help, Dave! I thought the game might have been in machine code because I couldn't list it. I'd be interested in your utility that converts BBC Basic to text, that would be really useful.

dave

#7 Post by dave » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:08 pm

I've just sent the webmaster a solution for Innerspace; but I can send you the code behind the adventure and the code to extract it quite easily. If you just PM me your email address and I'll drop you a line.

Warning, the code is quite manky; it's the first time I've seen an adventure use bit flags to handle objects.

In essence the BBC BASIC detokeniser takes the binary version of the BASIC program and turns it into text. This does need the file extracting from disc/tape that its one (I have some rudimentary programs to do this, and there are others on the net to do the same).

I also have code that I found on an old disc that will do the same for Spectrum BASIC, taking from an SNA file.