Drawing maps

General chit-chat, ramblings, odds and ends.

Moderator: Alastair

Samwise

Re: Drawing maps

#31 Post by Samwise » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:35 pm

If you struggled with Ruby (I'm guessing on Windows as I found it far simpler to get running on Linux), one other tool you could try that hasn't been mentioned so far is Trizbort. It's a native Windows application so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting it running. The main advantage to this one is that it is currently being actively maintained, which is more that can be said for most of the other IF Mapping tools. :/

I'm continuing to persevere with Interactive Fiction Mapper at the moment because it's a) cross-platform, b) public domain open source and c) supports exporting to IFM and Inform.

Sam.

Samwise

Re: Drawing maps

#32 Post by Samwise » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:32 pm

Just a note to say that I've just submitted [#28606] ifmapper-1.0.0 Export PDF option bug fix and page options patch v2 for Gonzalo Garramuno's Ruby tool, Interactive Fiction Mapper which fixes a few bugs with the Export PDF option and adds the option to specify the page size and orientation of the PDF. It currently only has A0, A4 and Letter sizes but you can add more options as required to Messages.rb.

This makes it much easier to get a complete, single picture of a map that doesn't fit on the default small page. It's then pretty easy to convert the PDF to an image format, if required, using GIMP or something similar.

There doesn't appear to be much development of the tool going on, so I thought I'd mention it here.

Sam.