Walkthroughs for IFComp games?

Games written in Inform, Glulx, TADS, CAT, HUGO and similar. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

ASchultz

Walkthroughs for IFComp games?

#1 Post by ASchultz » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:54 pm

I'm wondering what the mods here feel about hosting walkthroughs for IFComp games.

In some cases, walkthroughs are provided as public domain, but in other cases, the games are rather tough (possibly for the wrong reasons) so it might be useful.

I noticed there were a lot of IFComp 2010 games filled in but not 2012. Is there any guideline for converting them?

Also, (small voice,) there's a big conflict of interest with me possibly sending a walkthrough of my own game, since I was in IFComp 2011-3. Is it okay to do that?

Alastair

Re: Walkthroughs for IFComp games?

#2 Post by Alastair » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:39 am

ASchultz wrote:I noticed there were a lot of IFComp 2010 games filled in but not 2012. Is there any guideline for converting them?
The addition of IFComp games to the site was semi-automated, I don't know if the person responsible for the scripts can currently spare the time to run the scripts to bring IFComp entries up to date.
ASchultz wrote:Also, (small voice,) there's a big conflict of interest with me possibly sending a walkthrough of my own game, since I was in IFComp 2011-3. Is it okay to do that?
There's no problem sending in walkthroughs, hints, maps, synopses, etc. of your own games. Indeed any information authors can send in about their games is welcome.

ASchultz

#3 Post by ASchultz » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:53 am

Alastair wrote:
ASchultz wrote:I noticed there were a lot of IFComp 2010 games filled in but not 2012. Is there any guideline for converting them?
The addition of IFComp games to the site was semi-automated, I don't know if the person responsible for the scripts can currently spare the time to run the scripts to bring IFComp entries up to date.
No problem. I can spare the time to send in walkthroughs for the games that don't include them.
ASchultz wrote:There's no problem sending in walkthroughs, hints, maps, synopses, etc. of your own games. Indeed any information authors can send in about their games is welcome.
Awesome! This is motivation for me to send out a new release, as well.

Mr Creosote

#4 Post by Mr Creosote » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:49 am

Alastair wrote:
That would have been me. I'm afraid I lost the import script when my old laptop died. Sorry! I would need to rewrite them, and honestly, free time for that is currently not on the horizon.

Incidently, hi Andrew! This is Hannes :)

Gunness
Site Admin

#5 Post by Gunness » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:28 pm

Alastair wrote:
ASchultz wrote:Also, (small voice,) there's a big conflict of interest with me possibly sending a walkthrough of my own game, since I was in IFComp 2011-3. Is it okay to do that?
There's no problem sending in walkthroughs, hints, maps, synopses, etc. of your own games. Indeed any information authors can send in about their games is welcome.
Exactly - any notes or comments you might have regarding the creation of your own game is encouraged!

I'll do my best to add the IF Comp games - spare time is terribly short these days but I should have a few hours during the next few days :)

ASchultz

#6 Post by ASchultz » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:27 pm

Mr Creosote wrote: That would have been me. I'm afraid I lost the import script when my old laptop died. Sorry! I would need to rewrite them, and honestly, free time for that is currently not on the horizon.

Incidently, hi Andrew! This is Hannes :)
Hello! Good to see you here. Yeah, it stinks to lose (or forget how to use) a script. Sometimes it can be demoralizing enough, I don't get around to doing stuff by hand.

Fortunately, there is dropbox for stuff that's not too private. It's helped me save a lot of stuff.

I'll try and add information for games with actual walkthroughs. I'm not sure how much control each writer wants to hold over their walkthrough. When I worked with Wade Clarke on Leadlight, for instance, he asked that I not write up a max-points (or max-min-points) walkthrough even though he found them amusing. They are probably going to wait at least until he releases his Inform 7 port of the game.

Gunness
Site Admin

#7 Post by Gunness » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:31 pm

I've started added the games. Are there any official descriptions I can grab? For instance, If Wiki usually has some very brief, useful ones, but I don't want to use theirs unless it's been provided by the game author or similar. On the other hand I don't really feel like reinventing the wheel.

Eriorg

#8 Post by Eriorg » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:56 pm

For recent years at least (I can't find them for older years), there are blurbs at the official IF Comp website. Here are the links; for some of these pages, you need to click on the "Show all" button to see the blurbs.

EDIT: the IF Comp website has just been modified! My links still work, but now there are blurbs (when available) for all the years, and you don't need to click on "Show all" any more.