Request for Beta-Testers for ParserComp2021 game: "The Arkham Abomination"

Games written in Inform, Glulx, TADS, CAT, HUGO and similar. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

catventure

Request for Beta-Testers for ParserComp2021 game: "The Arkham Abomination"

#1 Post by catventure » Mon May 10, 2021 3:13 pm

"THE ARKHAM ABOMINATION"

is a free, short, offline, downloadable, parser-based text adventure written by catventure ©2021.

It was made using the "Thinbasic Adventure Builder" (TAB) for PC Windows Only. (XP and above; 32/64bit; English language)
http://tab.thinbasic.com/

(An interactive 'Lovecraftian' fanfic story)

This adventure game is text only and of the traditional sort.
It is similar to the old Infocom/Magnetic Scrolls/Level 9 type which were popular in the mid 1980`s.

There are no graphics, sfx, or animations in this adventure game.
However, there is a background music which can be turned on or off. Music credit: courtesy of Eric Matyas

This adventure game is my candidate for submission to the ParserComp 2021 game jam.

You play Stu Troughton, a retired enquiry agent from Dunwich. You arrive in Arkham because of your concern for a great friend, Clark Ashton, a journalist from the "Arkham Advertiser". Clark suddenly up and disappeared about a week ago. Passing strange! The local police have been unable to trace him and have reached a dead end with their investigation. Seems there's an ongoing public health crisis here; a strange epidemic that has left dozens of tumour-ridden and mutated patients in hospital and an unusual number of Arkhamites ill with symptoms of nausea, vomiting and bleeding.

Can you find your missing friend, put an end to epidemic caused by dark forces that have infiltrated the surrounding countryside and well... erm... simply survive!

You score points for overcoming obstacles, solving problems or making progress. A perfect score is 50 points. You may find it helpful to make a map and keep notes.

The game understands the standard adventure commands.

I probably need several volunteers to test it so If you are interested please PM me your name and contact details and I'll add you to the list.
When the playtest version is ready (probably later this month) I'll send the download link to the game.
You do not need an interpreter or emulator to run the game as all files required will be included in the download.

I have tried to make the game user friendly and respond to various player commands and also to be helpful should the player type in wrong, incorrect or nonsensical input. It is not really a big game and there aren't too many puzzles to solve in it but you may have to *think* a little to finish the quest successfully. I sincerely hope you have fun playing it and I am happy to receive comments, feedback, bug reports etc.

catventure/Phil.
TAB is an offline, downloadable, parser-based retro text adventure/interactive creator for Windows XP and above.
It is similar to popular 80's adventure creators like QUILL, PAW, STAC or GAC.

catventure

Re: Request for Beta-Testers for ParserComp2021 game: "The Arkham Abomination"

#2 Post by catventure » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:55 am

Hi,
I submitted my game to the ParserComp2021 competition. (Even though there may be a later revision or expansion of the game)

More details about the entry and to download from the link on my itch games page here:
https://catventure.itch.io/the-arkham-abomination

PC Windows (XP and above. 32/64bit)
TAB is an offline, downloadable, parser-based retro text adventure/interactive creator for Windows XP and above.

Denk

#4 Post by Denk » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:46 pm

catventure wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:55 am
Hi,
I submitted my game to the ParserComp2021 competition. (Even though there may be a later revision or expansion of the game)
FYI, I played and rated it. It was good and I was positively surprised about the parser, since you compare TAB to GAC etc. It would be good if it wasn't necessary to (fictive example): GET APPLE FROM DRAWER. Instead, GET APPLE should be sufficient. Not a big deal for me, but it may confuse some players. The other entry "Somewhere, Somewhen" has the same parser limitation. It was a common limitation in some older games. For instance, in Eamon games you had to REMOVE APPLE FROM DRAWER to get the apple.

The main drawback about TAB is probably that it is Windows only, as many players have Mac and some Linux. Perhaps you could team up with another programmer...
Anyway, well done :)

catventure

#5 Post by catventure » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:53 pm

Denk wrote:
It would be good if it wasn't necessary to (fictive example): GET APPLE FROM DRAWER. Instead, GET APPLE should be sufficient. Not a big deal for me, but it may confuse some players.
Hi Denk,
Sorry for late reply. Thanks for your comments. I made a new version (0.6) six days ago and posted it to the itch game page that addresses that and some other things. (also reported by Garry)

https://itch.io/jam/parsercomp-2021/rate/1023177

I'm pleased to report that you can now do that for portable objects that are inside container objects.

Example:

GET APPLE - allows you to take the apple if it is visible in an open container.
GET APPLE OUT DRAWER THEN EXAMINE IT - 'it' now refers to the first noun object eg; apple.

and also a pronoun correction:

ASK FISHERMAN ABOUT XXXX
ASK HIM ABOUT XXXX - 'him' now refers to fisherman and not second noun XXXX.
The main drawback about TAB is probably that it is Windows only, as many players have Mac and some Linux. Perhaps you could team up with another programmer...
You are right. As a result some players will not get to play or rate the adventure because they do not have the Windows platform.

Thanks for trying the game which is my first entry to an IF jam.
catventure/Phil.

catventure

#6 Post by catventure » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:24 pm

Thanks to all who played, tested, voted and provided feedback on the "The Arkham Abomination" text adventure.

Regards,
catventure.