Searching for Adventure Game

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

DominateMind

Searching for Adventure Game

#1 Post by DominateMind » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:16 pm

Not sure if this belongs here but it seemed the best place to post my request. I've been searching for years to find a game from my early childhood I played with a friend. We never could beat the game either so I'd really love to find and finish it.

This was a text only adventure with no graphics as far as I remember and no other characters were present. It takes place in a house or mansion. So far the obvious house/mansion games have not been the one I'm seeking.

Key items I remember are:
The game was made before 1992 (I know, I know, this isn't much help)
A rooftop garden with a mushroom you could pickup.
A room with a black light you could turn on - and once you did a poster would reveal writing you could read.
In the basement area there was a large room you could not cross until you found a broom that flies.

Its not much to go on and I've never had much luck finding this game. I understand many games like this are impossible to locate so I'm becoming less optimistic I'll find it. However, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've always thought a game with a black light in it would be unique enough for someone to know what I'm talking about :)

Thanks!

Richard Bos

Re: Searching for Adventure Game

#2 Post by Richard Bos » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:41 pm

DominateMind wrote:This was a text only adventure with no graphics as far as I remember and no other characters were present. It takes place in a house or mansion. So far the obvious house/mansion games have not been the one I'm seeking.
Any idea which system this ran on?
Richard Bos
The Netherlands
Spectrum nut and T/SAL "expert". And very amateur chess player.

DominateMind

#3 Post by DominateMind » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:25 pm

This was a really old PC running DOS - sorry should have included that.

Alastair

#4 Post by Alastair » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:24 pm

I do not recognise any game from the description but the use of the term 'black light' does suggest that it is an American game, though I realise that this is probably of little help.

The best I can do is suggest the site's Advanced search facility. Although this does not offer a country of origin search (because country of origin is not one of the pieces of data stored on the site) there are other settings you may choose to narrow the search and a title in the resultant list may trigger a memory. For example, with the settings Language:English, Year (from):any, Year (to):1992 (see, it's not entirely useless!), and Platform:PC I get 398 results.

Gunness
Site Admin

#5 Post by Gunness » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:24 pm

Intriguing - doesn't ring any bells but I'll ask around :)

gamingafter40

#6 Post by gamingafter40 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:36 pm

This is purely by chance, as Mr. Gunness asked me a few weeks back if I'd encountered this game, and I had not. But as luck would have it, I seem to be playing it right now!

Is the game you're looking for "Wizard's Gold" for the Atari 8-bit computers, circa 1981? It features a witch's broom and a black light -- I'd played another adventure from this era that included a broom allowing flight across a large area, but it didn't have the black light. But I just stumbled into the Wizard's Psychedelic Room in this game, and there are Jefferson Airplane and Grateful Dead posters on the walls, illuminated by black light.

Have we found it, d'you think?

EDIT: I'm pretty sure this is it, re-reading the original post, as it also has the mushroom garden referenced.

DominateMind

#7 Post by DominateMind » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:19 am

EDIT: I was able to finally get a working Atari emulator. Yep this is for sure the right game. I remember getting stuck with this game years ago when I was a kid. My friend and I never found the Aquarium Room or the Treasure. I hope you enjoy it and I really appreciate you finding this game and posting the info. Its been so long I was about to give up.

--------------------------------------------
Really sounds like you found the game!

I've spent the better part of my day trying to get a working Atari emulator to load and play the game but haven't been successful so far. Any suggestions you have on getting this up and running would be most helpful.

Thank you so much!

gamingafter40

#8 Post by gamingafter40 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:22 pm

I did enjoy it, yes! I've been working my way through the APX games recently -- most of them used the same quirky in-house parser, so once I had played one of them I figured I should keep going while the required habits were fresh in my mind.

You can read about my experience here if you like:

http://gamingafter40.blogspot.com/2015/ ... -1981.html

Gunness
Site Admin

#9 Post by Gunness » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:16 pm

Dale, thanks for stepping up :D