Robotron KC

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Alex

Robotron KC

#1 Post by Alex » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:00 pm

I discovered some adventure games for the Robotron KC, but I'm having trouble running a few of them in the emulator. Anyone any experience playing games on the Robotron KC or anyone wants to give it a try?

I used the kc85emu emulator in Dosbox and the KCemu in windows. The games I can't run are Aegypten and Burg. When I run Aegypten I get an error in line 11, but maybe I'm using the wrong model in the emulator. When I load burg and run it the screen turns blue.

Keetie

Re: Robotron KC

#2 Post by Keetie » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:07 pm

Alex wrote:I discovered some adventure games for the Robotron KC, but I'm having trouble running a few of them in the emulator. Anyone any experience playing games on the Robotron KC or anyone wants to give it a try?

I used the kc85emu emulator in Dosbox and the KCemu in windows. The games I can't run are Aegypten and Burg. When I run Aegypten I get an error in line 11, but maybe I'm using the wrong model in the emulator. When I load burg and run it the screen turns blue.
I tried out KCemu in WinXP and played the Burg textadventure. It is a Basic game and you have to tell the emulator on 2 places. I chose the KC 85/4 (256k) type.

I see black text on a partial white screen on a blue screen.

Gehe nord brings you out of the castle and gehe west gives you a speer. Maybe the screen is VGA?

How did you ran Aegypten? I did not succeed yet.

Alex

#3 Post by Alex » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:45 pm

Keetie wrote:
It is a Basic game and you have to tell the emulator on 2 places.
Can you tell me how? I did not succeed to load basic games (sss files) with this emulator. %basic, enter, cload"burg" does not work.
Keetie wrote:
How did you ran Aegypten? I did not succeed yet.
If you choose run in the emulator menu, select the file in the folder and open it I get the message:

%?om error
ok
>

If I type RUN again I get the message:
?om error in 11

You can also type list to see the program.

I found another emulator in Java JKCEMU but I did not succeed to run a game with it. KC85emu seems the easiest one to me.

Alex

#4 Post by Alex » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:35 pm

Using JKCemu I just managed to play Aegypten:

-Load the emulator
-Choose in the menu extra einstellungen
-Choose KC85/4 and press Ubernehmen
-Load basic (type basic followed by enter)
-Press enter
-Choose in the menu Datei the Datei browser
-Select the fiel aegypten.kcc
-press the button in emulator laden
-type RUN followed by enter

Okay I didn't say it was easy :)

I've uploaded two screenshots.

Alex

#5 Post by Alex » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:04 am

Alex wrote:Using JKCemu I just managed to play Aegypten
Unfortunately the screen blurs when I light my torch :(

Keetie

#6 Post by Keetie » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:32 pm

Alex wrote:Using JKCemu I just managed to play Aegypten:
That's exact the way to play Burg in the KCEmu, so the one for Windows.

After having loaded BASIC:

Click Datei - Laden - choose Basic programms left under. Burg.sss appears when you put that in the emulator directory. Open it and run the game.

KC85emu now runs in Dosbox, but not the game. I got the same errors as you. I'll try JKCemu out with Aegypten.

Alex

#7 Post by Alex » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:02 pm

Unfortunately I still can't play burg. I get an error in 488 when I type RUN. Maybe my version is wrong. Can you send me your burg.sss file?

Did you manage to play Aegypten without the screen blurring? Because it is a small program it wasn't difficult to port the game to gwbasic. Unfortunately without the graphics, but at least I was able to play the game. I've uploaded a map and a solution, but it would be nice to play it with graphics.

Keetie

#8 Post by Keetie » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:15 pm

Alex wrote:Unfortunately I still can't play burg. I get an error in 488 when I type RUN. Maybe my version is wrong. Can you send me your burg.sss file?

Did you manage to play Aegypten without the screen blurring?
No, I did not. Even Burg has this trouble, I suppose. Maybe it is a bug in the emulators? I'll try to send you the Burg.sss version I found somewhere - I forgot where.

Alex

#9 Post by Alex » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:05 pm

I think you may be right about the emulators not working 100% accurate. I still couldn't play Burg in the emulator. I abandon the Robotron KC for now I guess until a better emulator becomes available. To be able to play the game I converted Burg to GWbasic and played it with Dosbox. I've uploaded the solution and a map.

Thanks for your help!!

Keetie

#10 Post by Keetie » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:48 pm

Alex wrote: I abandon the Robotron KC for now I guess until a better emulator becomes available.
No, you are not! I got both games running in the KCemu, the one for windows. We chose the wrong system: choose the KC 85/3 + CAOS 3.4, that's the good one.
Clipboard01.gif
First room after MACH LICHT and N
Clipboard01.gif (18.55 KiB) Viewed 4057 times

Alex

#11 Post by Alex » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:46 am

Great!! :thumb: however I noticed you use another kcemu than I do. The one you use does not work in windows 64bit :(.

The one I use is KCemu v.0.5.1. This one uses normally caos 3.1 in 85/3 mode, but when I change it to caos 3.4 the emulator freezes when I load a game in basic mode.

Jkcemu and kc85emu also use caos 3.1 and I was unable to change it to caos 3.4.

I did manage at last to play Burg in kc85emu after I changed the computer with alt-x in 85/3 mode.

Alex

#12 Post by Alex » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:38 am

Using Windows Virtual pc I was able to use the other kcemu you are using. Finally I was able to play Aegypten with graphics :).

Strange caos 3.4 does not work with any of the other emulators I found.

lanale

#13 Post by lanale » Fri May 06, 2016 7:45 pm

I don't think you need CAOS 3.4 to run "Aegypten". You need an KC85/3 with M022 module. The emulator must have implemented the module 022 logic incl. "structure byte".

I write because I have a question: When I start the game "Aegypten" and visit the first room with "Ich mache Licht" then there are ugly hieroglyphics on the left and right walls. Do you have the same ugly hieroglyphics or is this an error in the emulator or in the tape file? See my picture.

Btw. I use the online emulator at http://www.lanale.de/kc85_emu/KC85_Emu.html

lanale
Attachments
aegypten_1.png
aegypten_1.png (3.39 KiB) Viewed 3603 times

Alex

#14 Post by Alex » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:08 am

lanale wrote: write because I have a question: When I start the game "Aegypten" and visit the first room with "Ich mache Licht" then there are ugly hieroglyphics on the left and right walls. Do you have the same ugly hieroglyphics or is this an error in the emulator or in the tape file? See my picture.
Sorry for the very late response, but yes I do have the same graphics in the first room.

Keetie

#15 Post by Keetie » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:49 pm

Alex wrote:
lanale wrote: write because I have a question: When I start the game "Aegypten" and visit the first room with "Ich mache Licht" then there are ugly hieroglyphics on the left and right walls. Do you have the same ugly hieroglyphics or is this an error in the emulator or in the tape file? See my picture.
Sorry for the very late response, but yes I do have the same graphics in the first room.
Really? I thought you now too did see what I see, see the picture I sent before.