Another Classic Ported to TRS-80 MC-10

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

jgerrie

Another Classic Ported to TRS-80 MC-10

#1 Post by jgerrie » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:24 am

I've ported Scott and Alexis Adams second adventure "Pirates Adventure" to the TRS-80 MC-10 from TRS-80 Model 1 source. Lots of memory saving techniques for getting it to fit into 20K, if anyone is interested in doing the same for other low mem systems.
pirate1.png
pirate1.png (5.23 KiB) Viewed 22930 times
It plays a little differently than the walkthrough provided by Gunness. The sack picked up at the very beginning doesn't appear and is unnecessary to complete. There are no crackers for the parrot, but it comes along willingly. There's no "say" command (you just type words you wish to speak by themselves). No shortcuts. You must type "GO WEST" (not W). See:
https://github.com/jggames
Last edited by jgerrie on Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jgerrie

Re: Another Classic Ported to TRS-80 MC-10 (And Another)

#2 Post by jgerrie » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:23 pm

I have also ported David Malmberg's "Castle Adventure" to the TRS-80 MC-10.
castadv1.png
castadv1.png (4.38 KiB) Viewed 22912 times
It is based on the same engine as Scott Adams "Priates Adventure." Makes for some interesting comparisons.

jgerrie

Re: Another Classic Ported to TRS-80 MC-10

#3 Post by jgerrie » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:21 am

Have ported and fixed bugs in "The Orient Express, 1923" by David Ahl (from GWBasic original).
OrientExpress1923.png
OrientExpress1923.png (3.21 KiB) Viewed 22820 times

jgerrie

#4 Post by jgerrie » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:39 pm

I have ported another adventure to Micro Color Basic. Tower of Mystery:
tower.png
tower.png (3.23 KiB) Viewed 22669 times

jgerrie

#5 Post by jgerrie » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:02 pm

I have ported Crowther's Original Colossal Cave "Adventure" to Microsoft Micro Color Basic. Should be easily shifted to other Basics. Have fixed and finished uncompleted elements, and changed some things to create some new challenges for old players. SCORE command will tell you how you're doing. See: http://faculty.cbu.ca/jgerrie/Home/VMC10_073D.zip for the Virtual MC-10 emulator, which includes the game in the JimG sub-directory of the cassette directory.
The file to load after typing CLOAD <Enter> is "COLOSSAL.C10" from the file menu. Then just type RUN <Enter>
colossal.png
colossal.png (5.96 KiB) Viewed 22626 times

jgerrie

#6 Post by jgerrie » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:01 am

Eric Underhill of the Yahoo TRS-80 MC-10 Group recently uploaded a new port of a demo text adventure by Christopher Lampton called The Quest. It is from his book How to Create Adventure Games. The game can be found in the cassette directory of the VMC10 Emulator, which can downloaded here:
http://faculty.cbu.ca/jgerrie/Home/VMC10_073D.zip
thequest.png
thequest.png (5.33 KiB) Viewed 22523 times

jgerrie

#7 Post by jgerrie » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:37 am

Here's a walkthrough for "The Quest"

*SPOILER ALERT *

GET DIARY,READ DIARY,DROP DIARY,GET BOX,GO SOUTH,GET DICTIONARY,READ DICTIONARY,DROP DICTIONARY,GO NORTH
GO EAST,OPEN CABINET,LOOK,GET SALT,GO WEST,GO NORTH,GET LADDER,GO WEST,GET SHOVEL,OPEN BOX,LOOK,GET BOTTLE,DROP BOX,POUR BOTTLE
DROP BOTTLE,POUR SALT (transported to open field), DIG,LOOK,GET SWORD,DROP SHOVEL,GO SOUTH,JUMP UP,GET FAN,JUMP UP,GET GLOVES
GO DOWN,GO DOWN,GO NORTH,GO NORTH,GO EAST,GO NORTH,GO WEST,GO BOAT,WAVE FAN,EXIT BOAT,GO NORTH,GO NORTH,LOOK
FIGHT GUARD,GO NORTH,GO UP,WEAR GLOVES,OPEN CASE,EXAMINE CASE,GET RUBY

jgerrie

#8 Post by jgerrie » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:09 pm

I've ported "Chasm Capers" for the VZ200/300 and "Dante's Inferno" for the TRS-80 Model 1 to the TRS-80 MC-10.
chasm.png
chasm.png (5.47 KiB) Viewed 22449 times
Dante2.png
Dante2.png (2.9 KiB) Viewed 22449 times

jgerrie

#9 Post by jgerrie » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:18 pm

I've ported "Ultimate Adventure" by Phil Edwardson to the MC-10 from the Dragon. Has anyone ever completed this one? I'm looking for a walkthrough. If anyone is interested in trying, just download the Virtual MC-10 emulator from my site:
http://faculty.cbu.ca/jgerrie/Home/VMC10_073D.zip
unzip it
launch VMC10.exe
Then type:
CLOAD
Then from the files menu play the cassette file "ULTIMATE.C10" from the Cassette/JimG directory
Then type RUN
ultimate.png
ultimate.png (4.03 KiB) Viewed 22423 times

jgerrie

#10 Post by jgerrie » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:29 am

I've ported a simple text adventure from MS Qbasic called "SceptreQuest 1"

You are Giglamesht, the famous Greek adventurer, in search of the famous Athena royal sceptre. It is said the sceptre was broken by an evil wizard and hidden in places all over Greece. It is also said that whoever finds the sceptre pieces can become ruler of all the Greek empire. Can you find the seven broken pieces? Solve my seven games? We shall see.

Don't know who the author is. Anyone know?
sceptre.png
sceptre.png (3.95 KiB) Viewed 22354 times

jgerrie

#11 Post by jgerrie » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:44 pm

I've ported another classic to the TRS-80 MC-10. This time it's Aardvark Software's "Mars" adventure. The code was ported from a TRS-80 Colour Computer listing found on the Color Computer archive. There were several bugs in the listing:
- RND functions not handled properly (probably during conversion from another system's BASIC), prevented navigation of the random maze of passages and caused other problems
- Missing link to help subroutine
- "Get" and "Take" annoyingly handled as synonyms in most cases, except a few that are critical for solving the mystery
- Some misspellings and typos and non-hyphenations that effected solving
- Missing END statement in win routine prevented successful completion by simply dumping you back into the game via another subroutine
- Used my word-wrap to clean up the display and to prevent annoying scrolling of vital information for long lists of items

Tested fine with Odd Magne Ogreid Solution from the archive. Thanks Odd!
(one change, you must drop the injector pump in the engine room before going to make alcohol)
mars.png
mars.png (2.01 KiB) Viewed 22307 times
Last edited by jgerrie on Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jgerrie

#12 Post by jgerrie » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:53 pm

Oh, and I should add about the "Mars Adventure" that I added a spectacular new graphic ending.
See "MARS.C10" in http://faculty.cbu.ca/jgerrie/Home/VMC10_073D.zip

jgerrie

#13 Post by jgerrie » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:43 am

I have created a port to the DRAGON, MC-10 and Coco of the classic text adventure "Adventure A: Planet of Death" for the Sinclair ZX81/Spectrum. It is really a re-write in Micro Color BASIC. It should be fairly easily transferred to other Microsoft versions of BASIC. The file is called "POD.CAS". When you save games it creates a cassette file called "PODDATA". Any feedback is welcome. Video walkthrough can be watched here: https://youtu.be/hlQTlEoR5ko
POD.png
POD.png (7.52 KiB) Viewed 22210 times

pippa

#14 Post by pippa » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:53 pm

jgerrie wrote:I have created a port to the DRAGON, MC-10 and Coco of the classic text adventure "Adventure A: Planet of Death" for the Sinclair ZX81/Spectrum.
Which version did you base it on? There were significant differences between the ZX81 and and Spectrum versions.

The 16k Spectrum had a large amount of that 16k dedicated to graphics RAM, so cuts were needed to squeeze the ZX81 game into it. In particular, it lost the alternate solutions to a couple of problems.

(Other Artic games didn't have this problem since they were released for the 48k Spectrum not the 16k one.)

jgerrie

#15 Post by jgerrie » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:48 pm

pippa wrote:Which version did you base it on? There were significant differences between the ZX81 and and Spectrum versions.
Pippa,
I'm not sure which. Someone had ported the "original" game to C so it could be run on one of the old TI calculators (see header below). I came across it while researching POD. It had all the objects, messages, locations, and responses nicely typed out in neat strings and a numeric table of the room motions (luckily in a pretty standard format of room numbers for N,S,E,W,U,D for every room). I just plucked these, and then plunked them into a pretty flexible BASIC two-word parser engine from Compute magazine, called "Tower of Mystery "(which I have tweaked with a 32 character word wrap routine, so it fits everything neatly onto an MC-10/Coco screen). Then it was just reading and watching various "walk-throughs" (by the screen flicker I'd say ZX-81 based mostly) to tweak the "Tower of Mystery engine to provide the right responses to the unique verb object combinations for each room. My guess would be ZX-81, as this would most likely be considered the classic and the "original", but I can't say for sure. There are definitely some multiple solutions (climbing down a rope vs sliding down a slope in the cave).

// "Planet of Death: Adventure A". Original by Artic Computing, ported to
// TI-89 and TI-92+ by Zeljko Juric, based on generic C port by Paul Taylor.
// You need TIGCC crosscompiler with library 2.0 or greater to compile it.
// Use "tigcc -O2 pldeath.c" to compile.