New English version A Pokal Angyala (Angel of the Hell)

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Alex

New English version A Pokal Angyala (Angel of the Hell)

#1 Post by Alex » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:16 am

A while ago I started playing the English version of the Hungarian game Pokol Angyala, A for the c64. Unfortunately I soon discovered it was full of bugs (for instance the game crashed on taking some vital objects), blurred pictures and errors in the translations which made some puzzles illogical (the names of some objects were wrong for instance a sling was called a knife, vultures were translated as eagles, a shield was called a lance and some of the room discriptions were wrong also). Because of all this the game (especially because of some of the bugs) was completely unplayable. However luckily because of one of the bugs I managed to access the programm code and I decided to make a new translation in order to be able to play the game.

The first 'small' :) problem I encountered was I don't speak a word Hungarian, but with the help of a dictionary and some general knowledge of languages I managed to do quite well I guess. I decided to do a complete new translation of the original. I'm sure the translation isn't perfect, but I have mended the errors from the first translation and using the original Hungarian game the puzzles make more sense now. I also used the pictures from the Hungarian version because they are not blurred like some in the English version available on the internet.

While translating the original game I noticed the original Hungarian version also has some bugs (three of them until now).

I now have completed 70% of the game and when it is finished I will upload it as a fixed game on this site.

IstenNyila

Re: New English version A Pokal Angyala (Angel of the Hell)

#2 Post by IstenNyila » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:53 pm

Hi Alex,

respect for your usage of the dictionary.

It's great that you deal with it so much. And I hope you will succeed in finishing your work.

I was working on the second part of this game together with the original team, a few years later. But when this first part was being made, we had not known each other yet. Unfortunately, I had no actual contact to them nowadays, either.

However, it was certainly just a Hungarian game that time. I don't know who made this English translation (that is surely only subsequent and "unofficial") at all.

Nice to see it here.

Robert

Alex

#3 Post by Alex » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:43 pm

Hi Robert,

At the moment I've finished translating 29 of the 36 rooms. I hope to end it soon. However some texts of the remaining rooms keep me puzzled because they are a bit difficult to understand, but I'll try.

I try to stick as close as possible to the original text (the translation on internet differed quite a lot) even when I think it could have been written better sometimes. But then again I'm only translating it and not re-writing.

The only thing I did change, apart from fixing the bugs, was the copy protection. Instead of typing some word from the manual you now have to type 'password'.

I liked this game because it reminded me a bit of the fighting fantasy gamebooks by Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson which I used to read .(without the fighting but then again I always skipped the fights when reading a gamebook) I still have the complete collection in some place including a copy signed by Ian and Steve now I think of it.

Pity the second part never got finished.

Alex

#4 Post by Alex » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:05 pm

Three more rooms translated :D four more to go.

Alex

#5 Post by Alex » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:33 pm

I almost finished the game. There is one phrase I don't understand.

Somewhere in the game you encounter a hobgoblin. When you show him a lizard you get the following message:

"MEGLAZÍTJA AZ ÖVÉT , S ELÖVESZI AZ ÖVÉT!"

Robert, can you tell me what this means?

I tried to translate it and I understood something about 'It loosens the belt, the belt is lost" but that does not make any sense. Does this phrase have some other meaning in Hungarian?

Apart from this phrase everything has been translated now. And all the bugs have been solved. I just have to do some playtesting to check if I didn’t forget anything.

IstenNyila

#6 Post by IstenNyila » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:04 am

This is just a pun (maybe untranslatable). The word "öv" means "belt", so thus "az övét" means "his belt". However, "övé" also means "his one", and therefore "az övét" also refers to that as "his lizard"... Eventually in slang it means his cock. :) You might just write anything else funny or sarcastic there instead of this pun. The entire (original) sentence sounds close to this: "He loosens his belt, and gets out his one."

Alex

#7 Post by Alex » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:04 am

Thanks, I thought it would be something like a joke or an expression. The game contains several of them.

I've now finished the translation. Thanks to this new translation yesterday I finally managed to complete the game without bugs. I have done several translations but this was my first Hungarian one. Because I don't speak the language I’m sure some things could have been translated better than I have done. But at least the game now is playable for English speaking persons as well. I will do a little bit more of testing (trying the wrong entries also) and then I'll upload it.

Alex

#8 Post by Alex » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:26 pm

I've just uploaded the fixed English version of the game. I did some playtesting and it seems to be without errors. I've included an info file on the disc with some explanation on how to play the game.

Alastair

#9 Post by Alastair » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:53 pm

Alex, I've changed the file name slightly because you gave it a "d64" extension when in fact it is a zipped file.

For anyone who downloaded the file with the old name just change the .d64 extension to .zip then extract the disk image file within.

Alex

#10 Post by Alex » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:07 pm

Alastair wrote:Alex, I've changed the file name slightly because you gave it a "d64" extension when in fact it is a zipped file.
Thanks, I forgot to change it. First I've uploaded it as a d64 file but it was easier to download as a zip file (the d64 opened as a textfile when you click it to download) therefore I changed the file but forgot to alter the name.

Mr Creosote

#11 Post by Mr Creosote » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:07 am

Alex wrote:
Alastair wrote:Alex, I've changed the file name slightly because you gave it a "d64" extension when in fact it is a zipped file.
Thanks, I forgot to change it. First I've uploaded it as a d64 file but it was easier to download as a zip file (the d64 opened as a textfile when you click it to download)
Jacob, do you have access to the webserver's MIME type configuration? Would be nice to prevent this sort of thing from happening.