I'm surprised (and happy) that people still play these games

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Mark Eaton

I'm surprised (and happy) that people still play these games

#1 Post by Mark Eaton » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:23 am

Hi everyone, my first post here.

My name is Mark Eaton and I was both surprised and happy to find that the text adventure games that I wrote some 25 years are still going. Even my dad's, Barrie Eaton, are still going on.

My first published game was Castle Adventure when I was 13 in an Amstrad magazine. I loved playing those games back then but I forgot about them over time.

About 2 years ago dad showed me this site and a couple of others proving that people still played these games. Admittedly I didn't think too much about it at the time.

I tend to not use a computer for recreational purposes these days, preferring a smartphone or tablet instead.

And that got me thinking. What text adventure games are there for these devices?

Surprisingly I didn't find that may for Android. So I decided to convert one of my dad's game over to that device: Moonbase 3.

If anyone is interested this is the link to the demo: https://market.android.com/details?id=Moonbase3.demo

It has all the technological features of the complete version, except it is only 20% of the game.

If you like it then try the full version here for AU $2.00: https://market.android.com/details?id=M ... 3.Complete

I incorporated some device technologies including:
1. Different font sizes
2. Speech to text so that you can have the game read aloud the text for you
3. Speech input so you can voice your commands
4. Gestures so that you can swipe an arrowhead to move north or south, and swipe left or right to move east or west.
5. And, of course, the classic text input.

I still love these games and would be interested in any feedback from people.

Let me know what you think!

Mark Eaton

Gunness
Site Admin

Re: I'm surprised (and happy) that people still play these g

#2 Post by Gunness » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:38 pm

Hi Mark,
I have sent you a PM :)

I'll give the game a go later this week, as the selection of Android titles isn't exactly overwhelming.

Cheers,
Jacob

Mark Eaton

#3 Post by Mark Eaton » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:24 pm

Hi Jacob, I posted a reply to that private message : -)

If you do get a chance to play it feel free to offer any suggestions or feedback.

Quantum

#4 Post by Quantum » Thu May 03, 2012 1:35 am

Hello Mark. I am a new member of this site, but not new to Text Adventures. The first game I ever played was the original Adventure and I haven't stopped playing since.
Although I don't have (and probably couldn't use) an Amstrad, I am quite interested.
I'm glad you included the TTS and voice input features. Being blind that will make it a lot easier to play. Along with the android screen reader Talkback, that should make the game more accessible. I do have to ask though, as I might be transitioning to Iphone, do you have plans to Port it to Iphone as well? If not It's perfectly fine, but I was just wondering.
Best regards,
Quantum

Mark Eaton

#5 Post by Mark Eaton » Fri May 04, 2012 4:25 am

Hi Quantum

I included the speech input and text-to-speech to try and cater for all types of people. Trouble is I don't how effective it is for blind people.

I hope the game works well for you. Just try the demo first and let me know how you go.

Feel free to offer feedback.

I would love to port to iPhone but unfortunately it's not cheap to enter that market. It would cost be a few thousand dollars to set up as I would need to buy a Mac, iPhone, etc.

I do this as a hobby outside of my regular full time job. As I already had an Android phone it only cost $25 set up fee. :-)

Quantum

#6 Post by Quantum » Fri May 04, 2012 4:05 pm

I'll definately try the demo. And where, I ask, can I pick up the demo to this nostalgic masterpiece?
Also, you might have more blind people playing. I have informed the Blind Gamers mailing list as well as the google group for the eyes-free project, chock full of Android users.

Mark Eaton

#7 Post by Mark Eaton » Sat May 05, 2012 11:58 pm

Thanks for putting me on that mailing list Quantum. :thumb:

Here's the link to all 4 original Amstrad text adventure games I've done so far:
https://play.google.com/store/search?q= ... pps&c=apps

These games are:
* Moonbase 3
* Mystery of the Dark Manor
* Ice Guardian
* Time Traveller

I hope the Moonbase 3 demo does go well for you.

Please let me know how it goes as I am curious to learn how effective the speech input and text to speech options are for blind people.

Regards

Mark Eaton

Quantum

#8 Post by Quantum » Mon May 07, 2012 4:23 pm

I've played the moonbase demo and it worked out quite well using the voice input and TTS. Great job mark. I still haven't tried the others but I definately will have to.

Mark Eaton

#9 Post by Mark Eaton » Sat May 12, 2012 7:28 pm

Thanks Quantum. So glad it worked well for you :D