leotrope

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

terri

Re: leotrope

#31 Post by terri » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:18 am

Yes, I got the rock as well. Had to go to another planet first, and then backtrack in order to get the rock. Took some time to figure out how, but since we now know that the game uses more than a two-word parser, this was easier.

BTW - thanks for joining in, Alastair.

I use a different emulator than either Alastair or Alex, so I don't have to use a Ctrl or Alt or any other key to type in "...". I tried various combinations of "saving" a .tap file, but none of them worked. Even tried older emulators, resetting, etc. In all these cases Part 2 has to load first before one can retrieve the saved data from Part 1.

So, despite my thinking that .zip files are "significantly shrunk" when they are zipped, this may not be the case here, or none of us know how to open Part 2.

Shame really. While not a great game, there is a certain kind of charm about this, with the descriptions about the inhabitants, the plot itself, etc.

Though, when my boss says to me "asap", I gotta get moving. NOW. So, the fact that one needs to wander around getting other stuff first, doesn't really ring true.

Can someone explain to me why it says it is written in PAWS, but can't be opened by UNPAWS? Since it does not actually say that it was written using PAWS, could this a subtle reference to either another program, or a put-down, or what?

I may be worth tracking down the author. I was unable to locate the place, Alex, where you said he sold lawnmowers.

I tried to track down an author once before. For Elysian Fields which you solved. I think I may even have done it using regular mail. He was initially quite accommodating, but either was not able to find his old stuff, or forgot, or whatever.

So now it's someone else's turn. It's OK if you don't.

Someone can write up the solution to Part 1. I am, as usual, willing to do the hints.

Alex

#32 Post by Alex » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:37 am

terri wrote:I may be worth tracking down the author. I was unable to locate the place, Alex, where you said he sold lawnmowers
I may give it a try when I have some time, but my experience is they normally don't answer questions (apart from a few exceptions). We can always give it a try. It would be nice to be able to play the second part as well.
terri wrote:Someone can write up the solution to Part 1. I am, as usual, willing to do the hints.
As I already wrote a walkthrough (I always write it simultaneously while I'm playing the game) I shall upload it including our names.

Strident

#33 Post by Strident » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:12 pm

As discussed in another thread...

Here is a snapshot of Leotrope part 2 that has been extracted from issue 5 of the Sam Coupe diskzine, Enceladus issue 5. (The diskzine was produced by the author of the game)

http://8bitAG.com/temp/leotrope.zip

There does seem to be some slight oddities in the PAW file in the graphics command; I will look at rebuilding the database and remove the graphics routines if that ends up stopping the file from working.

Alex

#34 Post by Alex » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:20 pm

Thank you very much!! at last I will be able tot try to finish the game (hopefully without the solution :) )

Strident

#35 Post by Strident » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:35 pm

Here's a temporary .TAP version... I've had to remove the graphics from the title page in order to rebuild the database...
http://8bitag.com/temp/leotrope-part2.tap

I was hoping to extract the ones from part 1 and drop them into the corrupted section of part 2... but there seems to be something odd with the existing version of part 1... It's not in standard PAW format and inPAWs won't recognised the PAWs signature for some reason.

Alex

#36 Post by Alex » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:38 pm

Strident wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:35 pm
Here's a temporary .TAP version
Thank you.
Strident wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:35 pm
It's not in standard PAW format and inPAWs won't recognised the PAWs signature for some reason.
Yes I noticed that when I wanted to use unpaw to look for the missing points (with our solution you only get 75 points)

Strident

#37 Post by Strident » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:29 am

Alex wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:38 pm
Yes I noticed that when I wanted to use unpaw to look for the missing points (with our solution you only get 75 points)
Here's the author's solution for part 1 of Leotrope...
http://8bitag.com/temp/leotrope1-solution.txt

Alex

#38 Post by Alex » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:00 pm

Thanks! I compare it with our solution.

Alex

#39 Post by Alex » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:26 pm

I compared them and there is no difference concerning the obtained points. I guess it is not possible to get 100 points in the first part.

I don't understand why in this solution at the end you should WEAR IR because you needed that earlier to notice the yellow ticket.

Strident

#40 Post by Strident » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:00 am

Just a note, that the full version of Leotrope is now preserved in its correct form...
https://planetasinclair.blogspot.com/20 ... e-mia.html