Alice and the March Hare - Tatung Einstein

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Juan

Alice and the March Hare - Tatung Einstein

#1 Post by Juan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:54 am

Anyone tried playing this one?:

http://solutionarchive.com/game/id%2C36 ... +Hare.html

I am stuck because of the ring. Where is it? I took a look inside the game with an editor and the only item I seem to be missing at this point of the game is the ring (I suspect that it's to be used in the room with the "ring-shaped depression") There is an item that seems to fall out of the cup:

"It was hidden inside the cup and fell out when you looked inside it"

And it might be the ring, but how do you get it out? Merely examining the cup does not reveal anything in it.

Alastair

Re: Alice and the March Hare - Tatung Einstein

#2 Post by Alastair » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:54 pm

How do you emulate an Einstein?

Juan

#3 Post by Juan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:55 am

Alastair wrote:How do you emulate an Einstein?
I use MESS. You need to download the Tatung Einstein ROMS in a folder called ROMS in the main MESS directory. Then unpack the ROM file there. The games are put in a folder called EINSTEIN in the SOFTWARE directory. They need to be unpacked, not zipped. Let me know if you find it difficult to make it work.

terri

#4 Post by terri » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:13 pm

Good luck. I tried, even with Juan's help, and, in the end, I could not get it to work.

Have fun.

Yes, while it seems I have not been playing games recently, I am still alive and kicking. No one has asked about playing along a gamerecently, so I haven't been playing and posting.

I'll gladly join into a promising game.

Juan

#5 Post by Juan » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:27 am

terri wrote:Good luck. I tried, even with Juan's help, and, in the end, I could not get it to work.

Have fun.

Yes, while it seems I have not been playing games recently, I am still alive and kicking. No one has asked about playing along a gamerecently, so I haven't been playing and posting.

I'll gladly join into a promising game.
I still don't understand why you had so much trouble making MESS work for Tatung Einstein emulation. It's not that difficult. And for this game it's even easier than for Island of Artuan, since the BASIC disk is not even required.

In order to further help you, or anyone else who wants to try this game, let me upload a screenshot of the MESS emulator, and the place where you "mount" the disks (see attachment.) After mounting the disk file, all you have to do is double-click on "Tatung Einstein TC-01". This will execute the emulator with the attached disk image. Once you are at the screen prompt, all you have to do is type "Alice" and press enter. That's it.
Attachments
MESS Screenshot.rar
(228.5 KiB) Downloaded 206 times

Alastair

#6 Post by Alastair » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:41 pm

Juan wrote:I still don't understand why you had so much trouble making MESS work for Tatung Einstein emulation. It's not that difficult. And for this game it's even easier than for Island of Artuan, since the BASIC disk is not even required.
Once you have MESS up and running, then it's not too difficult to add new platforms. It's setting up MESS to run a platform in the first place that can cause trouble.

Anyway, now for the second question; where can you download the game?

Juan

#7 Post by Juan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:12 am

Alastair wrote:
Juan wrote:I still don't understand why you had so much trouble making MESS work for Tatung Einstein emulation. It's not that difficult. And for this game it's even easier than for Island of Artuan, since the BASIC disk is not even required.
Once you have MESS up and running, then it's not too difficult to add new platforms. It's setting up MESS to run a platform in the first place that can cause trouble.

Anyway, now for the second question; where can you download the game?
http://www.tatungeinstein.co.uk/front/imagefiles.htm

Alastair

#8 Post by Alastair » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:11 pm

Thanks Juan, I'll see what I can do.

Alastair

#9 Post by Alastair » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:43 pm

Juan, how far are you into this game? So far I have managed to find one treasure, and like you I have had no success with the cup. I have a few of questions which you may be able to answer.

First, apart from the dead end in the tunnel under the road and the northern most dungeon cell, is there anywhere else where the matches are needed?

Second, is it possible to return to the surface after you go down the well?

Third, where do you use the spade?

Juan

#10 Post by Juan » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:21 pm

Alastair wrote:Juan, how far are you into this game? So far I have managed to find one treasure, and like you I have had no success with the cup. I have a few of questions which you may be able to answer.

First, apart from the dead end in the tunnel under the road and the northern most dungeon cell, is there anywhere else where the matches are needed?

Second, is it possible to return to the surface after you go down the well?

Third, where do you use the spade?
Probably as far as you have. But I am stuck because of the ring. It seems to be in the cup, despite the fact that it says it's empty when you look at it, but how do you get it out?

I remember using the matches only those two times you mentioned.

So far I have not been able to go back to the surface.

I have found no place to use the spade so far.

Alastair

#11 Post by Alastair » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:24 am

I've made more progress by discovering that the location text does not always tell you what is in a location, to find out you sometimes need to use HELP (or just plain H). Doing this at the river bank reveals that a boat is nearby. SAIL BOAT takes you to a location containing two useful items, one of which tells you where to dig (DIG FIELD), from this and given the limit on what you can carry I guess that the spade is used once and left on the surface.

I've also discovered that the sword is also a treasure, this brings the total number of treasures I have found to four.

Have you found anywhere to use the potion and the bag of marbles/diamonds, and have you managed to get anything from the caterpillar or giant mushroom?

Also, being lost in the forest, is it just a case of moving until you find a way out or is there a method I have failed to notice?

Juan

#12 Post by Juan » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:21 am

Alastair wrote:I've made more progress by discovering that the location text does not always tell you what is in a location, to find out you sometimes need to use HELP (or just plain H). Doing this at the river bank reveals that a boat is nearby. SAIL BOAT takes you to a location containing two useful items, one of which tells you where to dig (DIG FIELD), from this and given the limit on what you can carry I guess that the spade is used once and left on the surface.

I've also discovered that the sword is also a treasure, this brings the total number of treasures I have found to four.

Have you found anywhere to use the potion and the bag of marbles/diamonds, and have you managed to get anything from the caterpillar or giant mushroom?

Also, being lost in the forest, is it just a case of moving until you find a way out or is there a method I have failed to notice?
I already knew about the boat. I thought what the X on the map indicated was where you have to drop the treasures, but I see now that there is a treasure there, and the place to drop the treasures at is at the well.

No, I have not found any use for the potion yet, or what to do in the screen with the giant mushroom and the caterpillar.

I thought the bag of diamonds could be a treasure, but dropping it at the "goal square" does not give any points.

I also got out of the forest in a purely random manner, just by persistently moving around.

Juan

#13 Post by Juan » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:35 am

By the way, have you noticed that "climb" is in the command list, yet the game does not seem to accept it?

Alastair

#14 Post by Alastair » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:47 pm

Juan wrote:By the way, have you noticed that "climb" is in the command list, yet the game does not seem to accept it?
Yes, I have noticed that "climb" and "read" both appear in the disc image but that neither seems to be accepted.

Juan

#15 Post by Juan » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:52 am

Have you noticed that there seems to be another map or something similar? Look at the game with an editor and you'll see that right above the already found map indicating the location of one of the treasures there is another one that says "It is marked". It seems to give the location of the dungeon cell where you use one of the matches, plus a place marked "PATENT" (?)

There is also a place that has "a little door". This would be the place to use the potion, but where is this little door located?