Ebony Tower - BBC

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Juan

Ebony Tower - BBC

#1 Post by Juan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:56 am

Anyone played this one?

http://solutionarchive.com/game/id%2C20 ... Tower.html

Majorly stuck. Out of frustration, I took a look inside the game. It seems that in order to capture the mongoose you need a cage, and this item is given to you by some birds. The only birds around (besides the eagles, which you have to kill) seem to be in the secluded garden, but nothing I have tried so far has made them come down and bring that cage.

There are 3 doors that I also can't seem to open (that's probably what the set of keys are for, but in order to get that you have to capture the mongoose to kill the snake that's guarding the keys.)

At the mountains there is also a cliff that does not seem to be crossable/climbable. The same thing for the well (does not seem to be climbable.)

terri

Re: Ebony Tower - BBC

#2 Post by terri » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:43 am

I like it! Be patient until I catch up.

terri

#3 Post by terri » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:01 pm

So far I have a lamp, a pole, some food, a bottle, a crucifix, lead, ancient book, a flute, a green crystal.

I've been given the messages by the Dwarves, the pixies, and the hobgoblins.

I see a trapdoor in the tower, but can't get up there.

I know how to use the flute but haven't used it yet, since I cannot buy the carpet.

So, I need some help to stop going in circles.

THayes

#4 Post by THayes » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:02 pm

terri: You can go up the trapdoor in the tower by entering GO TRAPDOOR.

terri

#5 Post by terri » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:11 am

That simple, eh?

OK some progress. Found the rod, got past the gate. There I found a shield, robe, wand, boots, ring, and dagger.

Does the BR/WW hint, mean take the Black robe or the Wizard's wand?

Anyway before I leave, is there any way to cross the pit? I thought that using the rubber boots might work, but maybe I don't have the right verb. And is there anything to do in the cell (with the shelf-like seat)?

And, finally, then what?

Juan

#6 Post by Juan » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:10 am

terri wrote: I know how to use the flute but haven't used it yet, since I cannot buy the carpet.
Do you have the gold? Or rather, have you made the gold? You need it in order to buy it. If you have, then PAY SALESMAN.
Found the rod, got past the gate.

Have you noticed that if you go back out you can't go back in? The gate shuts again after you leave, and since you do not have the rod anymore it seems impossible to open it again.
There I found a shield, robe, wand, boots, ring, and dagger.
How/where did you find the boots and ring?

Anyway before I leave, is there any way to cross the pit?
You mean the pit that's south of the secluded garden? If so, you need the carpet to cross it.
And is there anything to do in the cell (with the shelf-like seat)?
How did you get in this room?
Does the BR/WW hint, mean take the Black robe or the Wizard's wand?
Where is this hint found?

terri

#7 Post by terri » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:40 am

I hope I am managing this "quote" stuff well.
Do you have the gold? Or rather, have you made the gold? You need it in order to buy it. If you have, then PAY SALESMAN.
No, I haven't. So I need help how to make the gold. The "philosopher's stone"/book hint and the lead, of course. But how? Where?
Have you noticed that if you go back out you can't go back in? The gate shuts again after you leave, and since you do not have the rod anymore it seems impossible to open it again.
Yes, I am aware of that. So that means that I need to get the gold first, buy the carpet and then enter the area?
How/where did you find the boots and ring?
For the ring - At the first T-junction (W, W) once you get into this area, go N, N, N (second T-junction), then go E, N, E, take the table and throw it (it breaks the door, and a prisoner drops the ring). He takes the food (if you have it), but I don't know it this is necessary or not. Kinda think it is, since otherwise it would be superfluous - maybe he shows up again? Somewhere else? I have no idea whether the chairs are necessary for something else.

At least you do not have to drop objects since there is not a maze here.

For the boots - Once you are past the wizard, go S and E.
You mean the pit that's south of the secluded garden? If so, you need the carpet to cross it.
Aah - so you have to make the gold first. However, bouncing on the rubber boots would have been good too, eh?
How did you get in this room?
You mean the room with the seat/shelf. See above. It's in the cell. You can go there, once you have thrown the table and the prisoner runs out.
Where is this hint found?
The hint about BR and WW is found (after in the magician's lair, opposite where you found the boots), going W, W, W. Going S from there takes you into an exitless room, which, I presume, is a SOLID dead end.

Juan, I presume you are serious about these questions and you are not just "pulling my leg". You are such a better player than I am. So, in exchange for this information, I REALLY would like to know how to turn lead into gold. Could be, though, if I am on a creative roll, the book and the lead can "transmute", if I can figure out how before you write back. Since it's now past midnight (your time), I won't get any help until tomorrow (my time). And I will try some more tonight.

My - isn't this interesting.

I do hope all these "quotes/unquotes" stuff works. It's hard for me to manouver through this.
Last edited by terri on Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Juan

#8 Post by Juan » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:15 am

terri wrote:Juan, I presume you are serious about these questions and you are not just "pulling my leg".
Yes, I was dead serious. Somehow it had not occured to me to throw the table (I was actually trying to get on it, or jump on it, and things of that nature), so that's what had been keeping me stuck. Thanks!
So, in exchange for this information, I REALLY would like to know how to turn lead into gold. Could be, though, if I am on a creative roll, the book and the lead can "transmute", if I can figure out how before you write back.

Transmuting the lead into gold is accomplished by carrying the green crystal, the book and the lead with you and just saying the book's title: Pbau (get it? Pb: Lead Au: Gold) That simple! Can't believe you didn't figure that one out either :lol:

terri

#9 Post by terri » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:19 am

And one is supposed to know that?

Thanks. Let's see how we get on.

Juan

#10 Post by Juan » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:09 am

Game finished! I will write a walkthrough for it.

terri

#11 Post by terri » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:34 pm

And the room with the shelf-like seat, or seat-like shelf?

Juan

#12 Post by Juan » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:59 pm

terri wrote:And the room with the shelf-like seat, or seat-like shelf?
Forget it. It's a dead end.

terri

#13 Post by terri » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:05 pm

I'm stuck.

I got the liquid. But then I don't know what to do. I can use the carpet at the canyon, but that takes me to the dragon. I have killed the lizard. That, I think, is closer to the end.

Haven't found the ale. So a nudge, please.

Juan

#14 Post by Juan » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:48 pm

terri wrote:I'm stuck.

I got the liquid. But then I don't know what to do. I can use the carpet at the canyon, but that takes me to the dragon. I have killed the lizard. That, I think, is closer to the end.

Haven't found the ale. So a nudge, please.
You probably have not found the secret door at that room that apparently has no exit.

You also need the cage to trap the mongoose.
Last edited by Juan on Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juan

#15 Post by Juan » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:51 pm

Solution to first problem below, if you get frustrated (highlight text):

BREAK RING

Solution to second problem:

WAVE WAND AT THE SECLUDED GARDEN