Spectrum Adventures - Ace in the Hole

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

zenobifan

Spectrum Adventures - Ace in the Hole

#1 Post by zenobifan » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:56 am

Hi
Just thought I would try a mission to solve spectrum adventures on CASA that currently have no solutions. I searched for adventures by platform and starting with A in the list I found the first english adventure Ace in the Hole. I have started this and have got stuck. It is written in basic and you can die in it which is annoying and with my current emulator I have no save function. I use RealSpec emulator maybe another will give me a save function any suggestions. Anyway what I am looking for is any other adventurers who wish to help me finish this quest.

THayes

Re: Spectrum Adventures

#2 Post by THayes » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:18 pm

That sounds like a good idea. It'd be good to get some solutions written for some of these games as well. Only problem with Ace in the Hole is that I can't get it working properly under any emulator I've tried. I can load the first room of the game, but the game then refuses to understand any input I give it, such as examining or taking objects. I could be missing something obvious with the input, but how did you get around this?

zenobifan

#3 Post by zenobifan » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:02 pm

I was using the realspec emulator which worked with ace in the hole but wouldn't save. I am now using zx32 emulator which allows me to save as long as I use the zxs format.
Both emulators I got from world of spectrum but I note realspec is no longer downloadable but you can find zx32 there.
Just had a thought that everything has to be input in the quotes provided and it only accepts one or two word commands.

Juan

#4 Post by Juan » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:42 pm

Spectaculator is the best Spectrum emulator I have tried. The 5.30 release was the last free one:

http://oscomp.hu/?lang/en*details/276

Alex

#5 Post by Alex » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:03 pm

I always use the ZXspectrum4 emulator which has a load and save mem option. To enter the commands in this game you have to enter them in capitals to be recognised. The programm has a total of 19 verbs. To walk around you have to enter GO followed by the direction you want to go.

zenobifan

#6 Post by zenobifan » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:08 pm

Thanks Alex that was what first flummoxed me and then to think I forgot that in my attempted help for THayes.

THayes

#7 Post by THayes » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:08 pm

Great, thanks zenobifan and Alex for that: Typing the commands in capitals within the quotes does indeed work. Right, time to play a bit of this game then!

THayes

#8 Post by THayes » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:44 pm

Ugh, I'm beginning to see why there has not been a solution or a review about this game. I've finally managed to get out of the small round room into the grille, but am now stuck in a seemingly endless grille maze that keeps looping back to the same place. Anybody else got any further?

zenobifan

#9 Post by zenobifan » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:54 pm

Hi

I got stuck there as well until I realised it is only a small maze. There are two locations that seem exactly the same by description but are in fact different locations.

Alex

#10 Post by Alex » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:04 am

Gave it another try and just managed to finish the game and uploaded the solution. If you want to finish it without reading the solution just tell me where you're stuck and I can give you a hint.

zenobifan

#11 Post by zenobifan » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:12 am

Thanks again Alex. I have a bit of insomnia but have managed to finish the game. Glad you have done the solution, I hate having to play a game over and over just to write a coherent solution. On to the next spectrum game if I can get past the games missing in action. I will let you know what adventure I am doing next on this forum cos no doubt I will get stuck again.

Alex

#12 Post by Alex » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:29 am

zenobifan wrote:On to the next spectrum game if I can get past the games missing in action. I will let you know what adventure I am doing next on this forum cos no doubt I will get stuck again.
Ok just let me know. If I have some time I'll try to help.

THayes

#13 Post by THayes » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:14 am

I'm actually quite enjoying this adventure now, after realising that a number of locations are described the same. Was a bit confusing at first! I've got as far as the open area where I've examined the wall to find the square hole. Presumably I need a key of some sort, but I can't seem to find one in any of the locations I've visited so far. I've found the screwdriver, ring, boots, tablet, glasses, liquid, globe and tube. Any hints on where the key can be found please?

zenobifan

#14 Post by zenobifan » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:01 pm

Hi
Looking at your list of items some important ones seem to be missing. Have you visited all locations in particular the route through the alcove.

THayes

#15 Post by THayes » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:18 pm

I've wandered back and forth through all the areas from the small round room to the open area a number of times, but I haven't found the alcove yet. Believe it or not, I never normally have this much trouble with these type of games :)