Egyptian Adventure - BBC Micro

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Juan

Egyptian Adventure - BBC Micro

#1 Post by Juan » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:06 am

I am almost at the end of this rather difficult adventure:

http://solutionarchive.com/game/id%2C20 ... nture.html

But what appears to be the final obstacle (viz. escaping from the pyramid via the underground river) is proving pretty annoying to figure out. I either don't have the right object for the task or I have missed some command. Anyone around here played this before? I can help you get to this point.

dave

Re: Egyptian Adventure - BBC Micro

#2 Post by dave » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:29 am

Having had a quick go; I'm a bit stuck: I can get past the rocks and tie the rope to the ledge, but can't move around the snow field (snow, in Egypt).

I also can't seem to interact with the characters, get a loan (I know the wording is OBTAIN LOAN), or make it back over the bridge without falling foul of the crocodiles.

Juan

#3 Post by Juan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:52 am

dave wrote:Having had a quick go; I'm a bit stuck: I can get past the rocks and tie the rope to the ledge, but can't move around the snow field (snow, in Egypt).
You need the racquets and the string (to act as snow shoes)
I also can't seem to interact with the characters, get a loan (I know the wording is OBTAIN LOAN),

In order for the bank manager to give you the loan you need to have the book and disc with you.
or make it back over the bridge without falling foul of the crocodiles.
Worship Ammon-Ra.

dave

#4 Post by dave » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:06 pm

That's got me further - I'd tried PRAY, but not worship - there is a bit of "find the verb in this game".

So I'm stuck on two places:
The snow field: I can wear the racquets as snowshoes, but it still won't let me go anywhere in the snow (I may need some glasses to block the sun light).

At the end of the maze there's a pile of boulders which I can't work out how to move.

I also haven't found a use for the boomerang or glass of beer yet.

Juan

#5 Post by Juan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:55 pm

dave wrote:That's got me further - I'd tried PRAY, but not worship - there is a bit of "find the verb in this game".

So I'm stuck on two places:
The snow field: I can wear the racquets as snowshoes, but it still won't let me go anywhere in the snow (I may need some glasses to block the sun light).
Yes, you need the sunglasses. They are found further ahead in the game (you will have to come back to this location after you find them, so forget about it for now.)
At the end of the maze there's a pile of boulders which I can't work out how to move.
Wave boomerang.
I also haven't found a use for the boomerang or glass of beer yet.
Save the beer for later. You'll need it. The boomerang is used later on as well, so keep it with you.

dave

#6 Post by dave » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:14 am

juan wrote:
Wave boomerang.
That's a bit counter intuitive. Anyway I got a lot further; but need to update my map and do some more mapping before I can continue and it's late.

dave

#7 Post by dave » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:51 pm

Juan wrote:But what appears to be the final obstacle (viz. escaping from the pyramid via the underground river) is proving pretty annoying to figure out. I either don't have the right object for the task or I have missed some command. Anyone around here played this before? I can help you get to this point.
I've finally caught up - the adventure is very annoying - lots of mazes, illogical puzzles and unlisted restrictions (I hated carrying everything over the swamp and had to restart twice due to forgetting things from before the helicopter).

I'm at the underground river and there's a boat waiting for me, which takes me to the quayside. Did you collect everything from the pyramid? I came out with the Uraeus, Persian Carpet and Golden Mace.

Juan

#8 Post by Juan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:46 pm

I've finally caught up - the adventure is very annoying - lots of mazes, illogical puzzles and unlisted restrictions (I hated carrying everything over the swamp and had to restart twice due to forgetting things from before the helicopter).
Yes, you need to save games at strategic points, just in case you brought the wrong items.
I'm at the underground river and there's a boat waiting for me, which takes me to the quayside. Did you collect everything from the pyramid? I came out with the Uraeus, Persian Carpet and Golden Mace.
Yes. Do you have the cross? It's not at the pyramid, but earlier in the game. You will need it. How about the pomegranate? It's also found before entering the pyramid.

I am stuck quite further ahead from where you are. It seems like the final obstacle (viz. escaping to the outside.)

dave

#9 Post by dave » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:52 pm

Ah; you mean that river!

I've just this minute finished the adventure, and you're only a few commands from finishing it. As you don't have a boat, you need something to make a raft, you may previously have used this to cover a pit.

Once you have your raft, you need to jump on it and push off from the bank. Of course if you haven't secured yourself with a very over used item then you'll probably drown.

Juan

#10 Post by Juan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:59 pm

dave wrote:Ah; you mean that river!

I've just this minute finished the adventure, and you're only a few commands from finishing it. As you don't have a boat, you need something to make a raft, you may previously have used this to cover a pit.

Once you have your raft, you need to jump on it and push off from the bank. Of course if you haven't secured yourself with a very over used item then you'll probably drown.
What I have been trying to do all this time is use the door as a raft, and tie myself to it with the rope, but I could not manage to push it. What line did you use? I have tried "push raft", "push door", "push edge", etc. but nothing worked.

dave

#11 Post by dave » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:00 pm

Juan wrote:What I have been trying to do all this time is use the door as a raft, and tie myself to it with the rope, but I could not manage to push it. What line did you use? I have tried "push raft", "push door", "push edge", etc. but nothing worked.
You're going to kick yourself: PUSH OFF

Juan

#12 Post by Juan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:02 pm

dave wrote:
Juan wrote:What I have been trying to do all this time is use the door as a raft, and tie myself to it with the rope, but I could not manage to push it. What line did you use? I have tried "push raft", "push door", "push edge", etc. but nothing worked.
You're going to kick yourself: PUSH OFF
LOL! Ridiculous. Thanks.

Do you want to write the walkthrough or should I?

dave

#13 Post by dave » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:26 am

Juan wrote:Do you want to write the walkthrough or should I?
I don't mind doing it; I just need to summon up the fortitude to play it through again (especially the bit around the swamp - carrying all those items one at a time got really tedious).

I have most of a map drawn, I just need to finish off the final bits.

Mark

#14 Post by Mark » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:06 am

Why not just write a hint sheet instead of a full walkthrough. You usually can do this from memory, and it's more fun for future players to have some guesswork left.

Juan

#15 Post by Juan » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:39 pm

Mark wrote:Why not just write a hint sheet instead of a full walkthrough. You usually can do this from memory, and it's more fun for future players to have some guesswork left.
Difficult games like this one, with rather illogical parts, deserve full walkthroughs.