The Galleon c64

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Alex

Re: The Galleon c64

#16 Post by Alex » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:18 pm

IstenNyila wrote:Alex, did you use the "go to" command anyway? (It works like in some Level 9 games, for example Knight Orc.)
Hi Robert, sorry for the late response, but I've been hiking through Chile for six weeks and I only recently returned. I did use the 'go to' command and as you mention it does work like it does in the Level 9 games (The Level 9 adventures where among the first adventure games I ever played and some of them belong to my alltime favourites). The command is useful sometimes to locate a person which is walking around but I prefer not to use it as sometimes it takes you to locations you don't want to go. I like to be more in control myself.
IstenNyila wrote:I think I am going to make some further notes of other Hungarian games, too, just to enrich the database (soon).
Any addition to the database is very welcome indeed. :thumb:

IstenNyila

#17 Post by IstenNyila » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:13 am

Alex wrote:Hi Robert, sorry for the late response, but I've been hiking through Chile for six weeks and I only recently returned. I did use the 'go to' command and as you mention it does work like it does in the Level 9 games (The Level 9 adventures where among the first adventure games I ever played and some of them belong to my alltime favourites). The command is useful sometimes to locate a person which is walking around but I prefer not to use it as sometimes it takes you to locations you don't want to go. I like to be more in control myself.
I was only proud of that because it's a relatively rare feature for a text adventure game; otherwise not, of course. The C64's CPU and RAM together with their further limitations (too small stack size etc.) were not really suitable for programming a perfect recursive algorithm. In theory, it must have been searching for all possible ways from point A to B; then from among them sorting and selecting a best: not only the shortest, but also a such not leading through any obstacles (e.g. dark places or closed doors). In practice, it would take for not just some short seconds, but for whole long minutes at least to do so on a 1MHz machine... Moreover, that algorithm needed to be run in parallel with another recursive algorithm at the same time (searching for a given object at all possible places), that rendered it even more difficult. (Eventually the verb "follow" was the same as "go to", but reduced to only one step ahead.) Maybe I will make a better one some day... :)

IstenNyila

#18 Post by IstenNyila » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:40 am

I only dare to resurrect this old thread after those long years of slumbering to inform you that I have just launched an Indiegogo campaign for a slightly redesigned new publication of my old game (both versions, the English and the Hungarian, together in a C64 boxed release):

http://indiegogo.com/projects/the-galle ... s-software

Gunness
Site Admin

#19 Post by Gunness » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:19 pm

I'm not much of a collector these days, but best of luck with the campaign - it seems to be doing really well :)