12 Lost Souls

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

dave

#76 Post by dave » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:15 am

Just managed to finish adult1 - it's a bit unsatisfying; still no idea why the ending is there, etc. I'll clean up my map and write up a solution to it.

It turns out you need to BUY DRINK to get the courage to descend to the sewers, something which I hadn't done!

There seem to be a lot of fish of the crimson kind in the adventure.
terri wrote:Stuck at the club beyond the seafront. They need a male stripper apparently.
There is one man who can do the job: you!
terri wrote:At the pine tree that talks to you.
More scarlet piscines.
terri wrote:At the edge of the pool.
You need an object you don't have yet (hint if you SWIM it'll tell you).
terri wrote:What, if at all, is the bikini good for?
It needs to be given to somebody, after you have found the stripper.
terri wrote:How many, and what are, the red herring objects?
Lots, including the toilet block, the rat, the squirrel, the shotgun, most of the trees.

dave

#77 Post by dave » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:24 am

dave wrote:About adult2; I've got further but I'm a bit stuck on a couple of areas: there's a couple in the house party who don't have adult orientated protection, but I can't find any form of protection around and what do I do with the lady of easy virtue.
Found it! The two are linked and it was just using one object in the right order...

I'll clean up my map and write a solution for this one too!

terri

#78 Post by terri » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:10 am

Well, if it only takes a day or two to play....

So, send me the solution Dave, and we will go on to the next one...

dave

#79 Post by dave » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:10 pm

They both mostly have GIVE x to y type puzzles; so easy enough once you work out what to give and to whom. Though in some places I solved the puzzles by GIVEing everything in my inventory to people.

I've written up adult1 and pm'd that to you.

I've found a big archive of CPC adventures at http://museo8bits.es/cpc/games/adventur/.

A lot of these are in French and Spanish which I won't be able to do, but there's a lot of English adventures too. I've yet to pick another one to start on.

razors

#80 Post by razors » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:33 pm

You two are fast movers! Well done on solving those two so quickly. I don't mind what adventure we do next. The choice of Amstrad games was an arbitrary one simply because I used to have an Amstrad, however I am happy to take part in any group solution. Since my first choice was such a bad one maybe one of you two should choose the next. I have also submitted solutions to Jacob for Amstrad games that he hasn't uploaded yet, so don't choose one of those if you decide to stick to the Amstrad (namely Ice Guardian, Robocide and Black Fountain).
Thanks for the PMs guys, will send the partial solution for 12 LS to Jacob ASAP.
P.s I got a very lovely email off Doreen B. She never completed 12 Lost Souls either, however she is going to keep an eye on the CASA forum and may join in too if we play a game she hasn't completed.

dave

#81 Post by dave » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:34 pm

Just to let you know I beat 7 lost gnomes a few hours ago (it seems to be a kiddy adventure so wasn't too difficult). I'll have a go through some of them, starting from the top and see what I get difficulties on...

razors

#82 Post by razors » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:39 pm

OK, I'm starting Alien Planet. Let me know how you get on.

razors

#83 Post by razors » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:22 pm

Completed Alien Planet. Unimpressed. The puzzles were signposted a mile off and with no red herrings it was relatively easy to work out what went where. Only problem was the limited language parser.
Going to try the adventures of Zebedee Gonig now.

dave

#84 Post by dave » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:30 am

razors wrote:Going to try the adventures of Zebedee Gonig now.
I've done some exploring on that (mainly to see whether it was in English). But haven't really got anywhere.

I'll have a proper bash today!

dave

#85 Post by dave » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:09 pm

Oops; I've manage to beat Adventures of Zebedee - it was a lot more complicated and evil than the others. There's a lot of places you can become trapped and careful management of objects is required...

If you're playing it examine everything.

razors

#86 Post by razors » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:04 pm

Fortunately I checked the forum before continuing with Zebedee, so if you have solved it and have sent a solution to Jacob then I will move on. What are you on now? I will avoid starting an adventure that you are already doing unless you post that you have got stuck.

terri

#87 Post by terri » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:02 pm

I'm having trouble again, dowloading from the NVG site.

Whatever you fellows pick, can you send me the game?

Also, please start a new post if we are to play along on a game. Thanks.

dave

#88 Post by dave » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:55 pm

I've started playing zed; though I can't seem to get past the start. I need something to activate the robot; but can't find it.

I got it from http://museo8bits.es/cpc/games/adventur/text/zed.zip

terri

#89 Post by terri » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:39 am

OK I have downloaded this. My goodness you are moving quickly. I will try to keep up, though...

Alex

Re: 12 Lost Souls

#90 Post by Alex » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:14 am

I know this is a very old topic, but as far as I know it hasn't been solved yet. The game has several bugs, but not all are important. I think I can manage to solve the most important ones.

Dave's excellent tool grackle allowed me to quickly and easily review the code and verify that the changes I made were correct.

The biggest problem is in the location with the farmer. You only get the message he is moaning. He does that if flag x has not been set.

You have to type GIVE OBJECT TO FARMER setting flag x.

Above command has 2 bugs. First it should check if you are trying to give the object and then start moaning if you didn’t. But these two command lines are in the wrong order resulting in the farmer always starting to moan before checking if you are giving the object. This was the most difficult part to change, because I only used a hex editor to change the dsk file. I decoded the hex values to learn where the GAC code was stored for each specific line on the disk file.

The second bug in this command was that the adverb number was wrong and the command was GIVE OBJECT [non existing noun] FARMER, this was easy to solve. I only had to locate where the value 01 was stored and change it into 11. (ok it took me 10 minutes :) ). Finding the right value 01 is very hard but I knew which other values had to be around it.

The next bug is when you try to dig, You have to type DIG FIELD , but the noun FIELD does not exist in the code. Because I am changing the game using a hex editor only, I can't add new nouns to the game so I will have to choose one from the existing below nouns:

DIG SPADE
DIG HILLSIDE
DIG MOUNTAIN
DIG DUNES

Unfortunately not very good alternatives to DIG FIELD are available. Which one should I choose the best?

The next bug appears when you retrieve the scroll and type READ SCROLL. The noun scroll does not exist. But the scroll is blank so I can skip that bug.

Other bugs I already fixed, but are not needed to solve the game:

-The verb FIND was not recognized. Another typo which I have corrected. Not very important because you only get the message : “You are doing the adventuring.""

-Something with the witches where they become enraged when you do something wrong. I fixed this (making the game more difficult :) ).

There are a 3 other small bugs but they don't influence the game and I will skip them.
Well I have to check if everything works all right, but I guess it will be fine. I’m away this weekend so it will be somewhere next week I suppose.