12 Lost Souls

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

razors

#31 Post by razors » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:00 pm

I completely agree with you. The deeper I get into the game the more baffling it becomes. Where is this field? I can't seem to find it, nor the limb.
Also, the horn worked exactly as you suggested but I cannot give the giant the spade or the hammer. According to legend the Wrekin was made when a giant dropped a spadeful of earth that he was intending to use to flood the river Severn and destroy the town of Shrewsbury. However, I can't seem to give him the spade.
Also, do you have any idea how to get out of the lagoon, find whatever is swimming in the lagoon, and get back from the island?
Sorry about this, as the game gets increasingly more bizarre we are relying on you more and more. I have tried giving the sorrowful king everything that I have available at this stage, with no success. I can only assume that there are a few locations I have yet to discover.
Do you want my maps, or are they not helpful unless complete?

dave

#32 Post by dave » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:10 pm

razors wrote:Where is this field? I can't seem to find it, nor the limb.
The field can be got to by going U from "You are in an icy place. A sheet of ice stands to the south." (this is illogical - how would you know to go up then)?

You should also look for treasure in that field using a digging implement.
razors wrote:but I cannot give the giant the spade or the hammer.
If you're in "You are in the Red Desert, beware, something is here also." and WHO then the giant appears. GIVE SPADE TO GIANT and he'll leave, digging a hole as he goes. This'll allow you to go E.

Note, this is the solitary giant in the red desert; not the giants by the purple mountain.
razors wrote:Also, do you have any idea how to get out of the lagoon, find whatever is swimming in the lagoon, and get back from the island?
That's a "find the verb", try GET OUT OF LAGOON.
razors wrote:I have tried giving the sorrowful king everything that I have available at this stage, with no success.
He needs some headgear, normally worn by a king. This will give you a spirit and allow you to go N. The headgear can be found with the giants by the purple mountain.
razors wrote:Do you want my maps, or are they not helpful unless complete?
I think your maps will be useful so I can tell you whether the solution is something that you haven't found yet.

Alastair

#33 Post by Alastair » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:18 pm

dave wrote:You can LIGHT HAND and then THROW LIMB AT HAGS to get another spirit.

This adventure doesn't seem to make much sense!
Actually, that does make some sense. I would need to look it up, but I remember something in English folklore about using a hand taken from a corpse as a candle to ward off evil spirits. [Edit. I've remembered that it's called the "Hand of Glory".] There are also stories involving a giant or two and the Wrekin - so it would seem that a knowledge of English folklore would help in in some parts of this adventure (so I suspect that I've just 'volunteered' myself).

Alastair

#34 Post by Alastair » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:45 pm

I think I've mapped all the obvious places, i.e., all the places you can reach via N, E, S, W, U, and D. What would be useful would be a list of how to reach the less obvious places that don't need special items or actions (the area reached after giving the cloth to the fairy would be classified as needing a special action).

From what I can gather the following are possible - is there anything else to add?

Location - Action
Ancient Gothic Church - In
Beautiful Countryside - Jump
Outside a University - In
The Wrekin - Climb Mountain
Town of Darwen - Enter Tower
West Country - Enter Farm

terri

#35 Post by terri » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:30 am

Ok - I had company so I have not been playing recently.

So now we have two "distant" souls, offering valuable advice, but there is no one playing but Razors and me? Ha!!! armchair athletes..

Give me a couple of days to catch up and then I will write a REAL scathing post. Yes, it's not a well written, highly illogical game, but...

razors

#36 Post by razors » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:35 am

There are others too which I have discovered thanks to the help of Dave and his GAC Hack.
If you throw the pebbles at the ice sheet you can go up to the field where the hand is. However, the game just responds "he is moaning" to every command I put in once I get up to this field so I am not sure what the famer who is there wants, or how to give it to him. (I have tried lots with the pitchfork)
Secondly, if you examine the purple mountain east of the castle there is a cave with some giants in. Get the crown and give them the hammer and they will let you go east and get out. The crown can ge given to the sorrowful king to get another soul.
I didn't know about Darwen tower. I went in and there is the King of Lancs. I googled this and found that he was a 17th Century Earl who was very into horse racing so I gave him the watch. He accepted it gratefully but nothing happened. The puzzles are obviously based upon british folklore but are still somewhat obscure.
Alastair, is it worth you posting your map, or I can send you mine if you send me your email by private message. We can then see if we have discovered anything the other hasn't?

razors

#37 Post by razors » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:23 pm

Of yeah and one other thing. On the single dune in the desert you can climb the dune to reach another area with another giant (who is hiding).

Alastair

#38 Post by Alastair » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:31 pm

razors wrote:Alastair, is it worth you posting your map, or I can send you mine if you send me your email by private message. We can then see if we have discovered anything the other hasn't?
I'm still making the map, so far the only thing I have found that hasn't been mentioned by anyone else is the tower with the King of Lancs.

terri

#39 Post by terri » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:20 am

I can't go up at the icy cave, even with the spike. Do I need to have something else?

I am way behind here and can't do half the stuff that you gentlemen are saying.

terri

#40 Post by terri » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:35 am

I can't seem to give the crown to the king.

How do you get out of the enchanted place once you have dropped the gorse there?

Has anyone noticed that once you get another spirit, the one that you had dropped is gone?

Is there some particular place that you need to drop the mystic spirits? Or give t hem to someone?

Has anyone managed to get out of the lagoon?

I too don't know what to do with the moaning man?

dave

#41 Post by dave » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:41 pm

terri wrote:I can't seem to give the crown to the king.
You should be able to just do "GIVE KING CROWN", this is the King of Lancs. The verbage seems to be quite specific.
terri wrote:How do you get out of the enchanted place once you have dropped the gorse there?
You need to give the Greemon something else (see earlier discussions)
terri wrote:Has anyone noticed that once you get another spirit, the one that you had dropped is gone?
Is there some particular place that you need to drop the mystic spirits? Or give t hem to someone?
There's only one spirit object in the game! It looks like when you find a spirit/soul you need to EXAMINE it to increase the counter. When the counter reaches 12, you've won the game.

When you examine the spirit, you're taken to a new destination.
terri wrote:Has anyone managed to get out of the lagoon?
This is a find the verb, it's "GET OUT LAGOON" (I'm sure I mentioned this earlier).
terri wrote:I too don't know what to do with the moaning man?
If you mean the farmer, then you need to give him something ornamental.

terri

#42 Post by terri » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:02 pm

You should be able to just do "GIVE KING CROWN", this is the King of Lancs. The verbage seems to be quite specific.

Aah - GIVE CROWN TO KING doesn't work. However, this works for other things. Lord love us.

You need to give the Greemon something else (see earlier discussions)

Yes I tried that, but somehow it didn't work. He ran off, but I still couldn't get out.

There's only one spirit object in the game! It looks like when you find a spirit/soul you need to EXAMINE it to increase the counter. When the counter reaches 12, you've won the game.

When you examine the spirit, you're taken to a new destination.

So back to the cellar. OK. This is helpful.

This is a find the verb, it's "GET OUT LAGOON" (I'm sure I mentioned this earlier).

Yes, you did. I meant getting off the island.

If you mean the farmer, then you need to give him something ornamental.

Thanks.

terri

#43 Post by terri » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:26 am

A few other observations.

Once you give the watch to the King of Lancs, you can leave by going south. Then go to Accrington and there is a mystic spirit there.

When you BLOW HORN as Dave suggested, nothing reallly happens, but when you enter where the Fralgs are and try to take the sword, it gives you the message that "a spell has been cast" but you die. So it seems to me you need to do/give something to the giant.

There has still got to be a better thing to do in the lagoon with whatever there is in the water with you. It seems a shame to use up a spirit to get out.

Also, Dave, I have not been able to deal with the moaning farmer. Regardless of what I type, all I get is "he's moaning". You gave a hint that it was something ornamental. I tried giving/dropping the hanky, the brass object (all the ornamental things I have), but nothing.

I also seem to recall that somthing I examined said something about a toll. But I can't remember what it is.

So far I have saved three souls, but I have two more spirits, so I guess that makes 5.

Alastair

#44 Post by Alastair » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:51 pm

After giving the hammer to the giants an apple appears at the start location. After examining the apple try eating it, then looking.

Has anyone found any reason for giving the spade to the giant on the sand dune? Are we meant do something with the mound that he uncovers?

With regards to the lagoon, GET OUT OF LAGOON does not work for me. Does it only work after you deal with whatever is swimming with you? In which case, what is it and how do you deal with it.

Also, does the coloured rectangle to the right of each picture have a meaning?

terri

#45 Post by terri » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:55 pm

So, Alastiar, you ARE playing. Great, great. I take back my (supposed to be funny) comments.

"After giving the hammer to the giants an apple appears at the start location. After examining the apple try eating it, then looking."

Yes I had noticed that, but didn't do anything with it.

"Has anyone found any reason for giving the spade to the giant on the sand dune? Are we meant do something with the mound that he uncovers?"

I wondered about that too. And couldn't do anything with the mound either. I see you still have the spade with you. It could be that all this did was get you a way out.

"With regards to the lagoon, GET OUT OF LAGOON does not work for me. Does it only work after you deal with whatever is swimming with you? In which case, what is it and how do you deal with it. "

That is the big question. I think I managed to get out and then use a spirit to get back to the main area, so I'll check on the exact wording.

"Also, does the coloured rectangle to the right of each picture have a meaning?"

I have no idea about the coloured rectangles. Do they have something to do with the colour of the locations? Or a hint about what objects to take with you?