Battune - City - PC

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Amby

Battune - City - PC

#1 Post by Amby » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:51 am

I came across this game on my pc and decided to give it a whirl. This one is apparently impossible to map in the traditional sense as the locations change with every play. However - the items found in those locations and the places where they can be used don't change - they just move around.

I've been at this one for awhile and I still have items that I can't find a place to use and locations where I have no item to apply.

Runs on a pc and can be found as part of battune.zip at http://www.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-arc ... esXpc.html

Amby

#2 Post by Amby » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:34 am

I have a gallon can that contains gasoline.
I'm standing by a generator that is out of gas.

According to the help file the verbs are
BREAK BURN CATCH CLIMB CLOSE COOK
CUT DIP DOWN DRINK DROP EAST
EAT FEED FILL GET GIVE HELP
INVENTORY JUMP KILL LIGHT LOAD LOOK
NORTH OFFER OPEN PUT QUIT READ
RESTORE RIDE RUN SAVE SHOOT SMOKE
SOUTH START TAKE THROW TIE TURN
UNLOCK UNTIE WAKE WAVE WEAR WEST
UP

Ive tried every combo of fill generator with gasoline, put gasoline in generator, etc I can think of. Anyone have any ideas?

Amby

#3 Post by Amby » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:54 am

I tried "Start Generator" --> “The generator sputtered and stopped"
I looked at the generator again - nothing new
Still nothing with filling and putting.

Alastair

#4 Post by Alastair » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:53 pm

Total shots in the dark as I haven't played the game, but does the generator have a separate fuel tank? Or perhaps the generator has a fuel cap/flap that needs opening.

Amby

#5 Post by Amby » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:25 am

Total shots in the dark as I haven't played the game, but does the generator have a separate fuel tank? Or perhaps the generator has a fuel cap/flap that needs opening.
Would that it did - primitive game this - alas, no moveable parts... I turns out I just needed to plop the generator in the general vicinity of another object then put in the gas and start 'er up. These oldies but goodies really make my brain hurt :wink:

Thanks goodness for CASA and the folks here who offer help to wayward adventurers.

terri

#6 Post by terri » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:52 am

Hi Amby

I am trying to play this game, and I cannot download it. Can you tell me what commands to enter?

I get the message(s)

To what drive to download it to. (C)

To enter your initials.

New or restore? But it won't recognize N.

Now what?

Terri

Amby

#7 Post by Amby » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:37 am

Turn CAPS LOCK on
Pick C
Enter exactly 3 letters for your initials
Pick N for new
Type a short nickname - I used 4 letters

Game apparently has only 1 save slot. I use it just before I'm about to reach the end point of each section.

I am currently in part 3 - a wretched maze that I just spent several hours and 4 sheets of graph paper trying to map. This is just my first pass through this part of the game so I don't even know yet if this part is also random like the first 2 parts were.

Don't ask me why, but I am hooked on this one. Part 3 has so many objects and obstacles that I can't sort out, and several treasures that I can't even figure out how to put in my bag... Terri - I sure hope you can get your copy working :-)

terri

#8 Post by terri » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:44 am

Yes - I got things working. There are four games in this pack and I played Wonderland first. Limited yes. But logical.

I've tried the other ones - Museum - I am stuck in. Sailor appears to have a bug in it.

So I'm ready to tackle City.

terri

#9 Post by terri » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:14 pm

Despite being up and running in City, I don't have a clue how to proceed. You spoke of sections and I presume this is section one. You need to make a reservation at the hotel, and give objects to the correct people. I can locate the 10 objects, and have tried to drop them in the right rooms. There are only 2 people (the person in the Western Union office), and the one in the hotel. Is it simply a trial-and-error process, or is there some logic to this?

Amby

Battune City

#10 Post by Amby » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:56 am

The locations and corresponding items are random in each game. However, the white card always gives you a hint of which item and person you must deal with next, ie, the white card you start out with might say "Dear Dad, Send Money" = this means you have to find the telegram and then go to the Western Union where you will find someone to whom you can give the telegram and get the next white card. Read THAT card and it will point you in the direction of the next item/location. The last one will give you the reservation to the hotel which will then open up section 2 - the hotel itself which has more "puzzly" puzzles.

I'm still stuck on section 3. I think I have mapped the entire maze and have a list of objects to use and obstacles to pass --- but so far all I've been able to do in combine a couple of objects and that's it..

I started with this game first. I take it you finished Wonderland? I'll try Museum next - assuming I finish City that is :roll:

terri

#11 Post by terri » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:51 pm

Thanks Amby,

I'll plug along.

I though you HATED mazes????

Amby

#12 Post by Amby » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:29 am

You are SO right - I do hate mazes. However, once I realized that this maze was better mapped by the "make a mini map for each location with just the exits and where they lead" method rather than trying to make one giant map of the entire maze it didn't take long to work it out.

Now, if I can just figure out what to do next...

terri

#13 Post by terri » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:26 am

I'm plugging along. Thanks for the hint about the generator. It would never have occurred to me that it was an object you could pick up.

Anyway...

I too have mapped the maze. Easy, eh?

In order to collect the gems you need the bag (obvious) and a tool. Hint: where are gems usually found? This will get you the magic word.

Where I am having problems is with the tools. I've collected all of them, but am still getting messages about not being able to reach things.

Any progress in that sphere?

Amby

#14 Post by Amby » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:05 am

I haven't even figured out what else I need, beside the bag, to collect the gems...

I am pondering your clue "where are gems usually found"...

Working 12 hrs/day as of this week - which means I actually get a day off now...once chores are done I should actually have time to play some games <yipe>.

terri

#15 Post by terri » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:18 am

Well, this is better than your previous 18-hour days. You would think that that was not something the Human Rights Commission (or equivalnet in you county) would allow.

Anyway, just to let you know, since the hints in both City and Museum are similar, I revisited Museum. After a time the game hangs up there, like in Sailor.

The random elements (Meezgies take your stuff), are confusing be no matter what I do, the game hangs up again.

I am beginning to wonder whether this is one OLD, OLD game which is not really playable in today's technological environment. I have some info about playing old games in a new environment, and will gladly send it to you if you encounter the same problems. Though I am not sure it helps.

Maybe this would be less of a problem if one made the "right" moves, but this is a stickler here.