Mexican Adventure

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Sharpworks

Mexican Adventure

#1 Post by Sharpworks » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:48 pm

Hi,

Has anybody played this? It's a very tricky game to map as the desert sections do not logically connect up to each other. It depends on which paths you take as to where you end up. I can never quite understand what's meant to be done at the town, lots of objects to pick up but you can only carry a set amount (so then you have to decide which to drop!). Would be good to know anyone else had tried this game! (FYI : This is the Sharp MZ version I'm playing)
Homebrew games for the Sharp MZ

Strident

Re: Mexican Adventure

#2 Post by Strident » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:28 pm

I will take a look at the Quilled version of the game at some point... If only because I really enjoyed the Broadhurst's other game in the end and I'd love to see how it relates to what seems to be the Sharp MZ original.

For those who want to take a look at the Sharpsoft game, here's our entry for it... http://solutionarchive.com/game/id%2C80 ... nture.html

Here's a "Quill Adventure Guides" output for the Broadhurst version... https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UuA22N ... 1NafB/view

(To be clear, we don't believe that the Broadhurst brothers wrote the MZ game. Their Quilled game seems to be an adaptation of the Sharp one.)

Sharpworks has posted a rather helpful YouTube video (see his "Hello!" post) that explains how to emulate the MZ machines.

Sharpworks

#3 Post by Sharpworks » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:58 pm

Thanks for highlighting my video on emulating the MZ-80A :) Although the Mexican Adventure is actually for the MZ-700. But the process is very similar, you'll just need different ROM files. I haven't spent too much time on this game yet actually, I've got fairly far. I tried mapping it (not strictly possible - for me anyway). It'd be nice to pin down a solution finally for the original MZ game!

Strident

#4 Post by Strident » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:37 pm

Ah, it's a little confusing that we have MZ-80A and MZ-700 lumped together under one tag on the site... but it'd take an expert to go through and split that category up. ;)

Sharpworks

#5 Post by Sharpworks » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:00 pm

I'm happy to give it a go! If you think it would be useful!

Strident

#6 Post by Strident » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:15 pm

Sharpworks wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:00 pm
I'm happy to give it a go! If you think it would be useful!
I've tended to try and add to the notes section, mentioning the specific machine whenever I've researched particular games. If there are any particular ones that you can add information for then that would be always welcomed, I think.

One thing I did notice is that games were often published for the 80A and then got a later release for the 700. Or, like the Adventure Game, there are 700 versions floating around on the 'net that don't have a history attached... so it's hard to know if they were official releases.

Sharpworks

#7 Post by Sharpworks » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:37 pm

Strident wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:15 pm
One thing I did notice is that games were often published for the 80A and then got a later release for the 700. Or, like the Adventure Game, there are 700 versions floating around on the 'net that don't have a history attached... so it's hard to know if they were official releases.
You're correct about that, to the best of my knowledge. In fact, some adventure games from the Sharp side of things started off on the MZ-80K. Another spanner in the works is that one or two text adventures aren't officially published at all, they are just converted by a Sharp fan (back in the day) from a different machine (for instance "Dog Star 2" - screenshot attached!)
dogstar2.png
dogstar2.png (14.46 KiB) Viewed 4766 times

Strident

#8 Post by Strident » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:21 pm

Lol... Don't mention Dog Star Adventure... I keep putting off the project to sort through all the various different versions of that game. :)

(At least that particular Sharp version includes some credits that explain where the game originated. :) Although its storied history goes back much further than that.)

Sharpworks

#9 Post by Sharpworks » Tue May 24, 2022 7:01 pm

Well, that intrigues me quite a bit haha. I should search the solution archive I guess :D Would be interesting to see how many versions there are and how far back it goes.

Strident

#10 Post by Strident » Tue May 24, 2022 7:28 pm

Sharpworks wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:01 pm
Well, that intrigues me quite a bit haha. I should search the solution archive I guess :D Would be interesting to see how many versions there are and how far back it goes.
I think we're getting there with that particular page... :)
http://solutionarchive.com/game/id%2C39 ... nture.html