Nuke

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Strident

Nuke

#1 Post by Strident » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:32 pm

That feeling when you know that this game...
http://solutionarchive.com/game/id%2C6032/Nuke.html

...is just another version of something already in the database because you've looked at it recently... you just can't remember which of the hundreds of BASIC adventures it actually is...
nuke2.PNG
nuke2.PNG (31.67 KiB) Viewed 803 times
nuke.PNG
nuke.PNG (25.27 KiB) Viewed 803 times
I will never fail to be astounded how messed-up the whole C64 archive is and how virtually everything is labelled as being published by "The Guild"... Oh, Tony Collins and (later) Binary Zone, you have a lot to answer for! :)

TIme for a trawl through the database, then...

Alex

Re: Nuke

#2 Post by Alex » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:04 pm

The reason this game and others are labelled The Guild is that at one moment these games where commercially sold by The Guild (Tony Collins) under the label of The Guild PD. I bought the two tapes containing most of these adventures (There were advertisements for these tapes but I don’t remember in which magazine. Could be Commodore Force or Commodore Format.). At the time I didn’t bother who actually wrote those games, remember we are talking pre-internet, and I was very happy they became available making my adventure collection a lot bigger. Later I sold all my original games c64 and MSX :( including those tapes and I was very happy to learn Jason from Binary Zone PD in 1999 sold a CD “BinaryZone PD The cd-rom collection” on his website which contained all these games again. At the time the cd was published a lot of them still were not on the gamebase64 and therefore difficult to obtain. I still have this original CD (actually the box contains 2 cd-roms). So yes I am thankful to them. They are not the original publishers of these games and it would be nice if they had included the authors of the games, but I don’t think they actually knew who wrote the games themselves. But at some point (even if it was without permission of the actual authors) these games were published and sold commercially by them and that’s the reason why there are labelled the Guild or Binary zone PD.

Strident

#3 Post by Strident » Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:10 pm

Oh, I know why they are labelled as The Guild. I was around at the time and I knew Tony at The Guild, as we were working on a game together at one point. I've spent a lot of time documenting the history of The Guild and associated labels, like the Adventure Workshop!

However, a large chunk of The Guild's Commodore catalogue was just public domain software that had been around for years by the time that Tony started distributing them as part of his C64 PD library. I'm not really blaming Tony or Jason... that comment was said in jest... but it is frustrating that the big archive sites have all these games labelled with an incorrect origin and, often, later dates that then get reproduced on other sites... and then written up into articles and wiki entries... which then become considered as gospel.

The public domain scene was obviously one of the strengths of the Commodore scene, both in the C64 days and the earlier PET & VIC ones... It just becomes a little frustrating when you're trying to research the origins of titles. :)

Alex

#4 Post by Alex » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:40 am

Strident wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:10 pm
It just becomes a little frustrating when you're trying to research the origins of titles. :)
I can understand that, but your doing a great job :thumb: