Cornucopia

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Alex

Re: Cornucopia

#31 Post by Alex » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:03 pm

Canalboy wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:16 pm
Perhaps any as yet undiscovered teleportal method will enable you to retrieve the treasures in question. Thank goodness none of the bugs you have encountered as yet make the game unwinnable.

I like to think your efforts are the text adventuring equivalent of 'flu research. They are certainly appreciated.
Thanks! I never see myself as a medical person :lol: I just like to decrypt data.

I wasn't able to fix the bug properly, but I did make an "ugly" fix :
The bug is in the room with the portcullis, room 1E. Even if you open the portcullis (which I know how to do), you still can't walk south into the treasure vault. It seems the room connection walking south from room 1E to 1F is missing in the code. Problem is I don't understand the part of the code in this game where the room conncections are stored.
In the treasure vault is a safe containing three objects. I first put the safe in the room with the portcullis but then noticed that unfortunately the puzzle to open the safe doesn't work. It is probably connected in the code with the room where the safe should be. I then opened the safe and put it inside the room with the portcullis. Not a nice fix. You loose two puzzles (opening the portcullis and opening the safe), but at least all the objects can be found and used.

I can upload the fix here, but I don't like it very much. I would prefer the puzzle with the safe can still be solved because I'm curious what the code should be. I found some numbers 101, 632, 739 and 6279 but they did not work. If anyone finds another number let me know and I'll check if it works.

Garry

#32 Post by Garry » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:27 am

This may be coincidental, but there is a pattern in the numbers. If 101 is thought of as a binary number, where 1 means use and 0 means don't use, and that is applied to the second and third number, then the remaining digits are the fourth number. If this conjecture is true, then the game may set flags when you find the earlier numbers and won't let you use the last number until the flags are set.

Alastair

#33 Post by Alastair » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:54 pm

Alex wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:35 pm
Alastair would be nice if you can make a text file for this one as well, maybe it will reveal something.
I haven't done much, just looked at the first few locations and available objects, so this preliminary decoding has masses of text still encoded, but it may still give some hints.

Edit.
Old version deleted, see below for the latest version.

Alex

#34 Post by Alex » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:42 pm

Garry wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:27 am
This may be coincidental, but there is a pattern in the numbers. If 101 is thought of as a binary number, where 1 means use and 0 means don't use, and that is applied to the second and third number, then the remaining digits are the fourth number. If this conjecture is true, then the game may set flags when you find the earlier numbers and won't let you use the last number until the flags are set.
I'll give it a try and will let you know.

101 is part of the title of a book.
632 are the measures of the bath 6x3x2
739 is a page number of a book you open
6279 is the roll of a special die.

Alex

#35 Post by Alex » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:43 pm

Alastair wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:54 pm
I haven't done much, just looked at the first few locations and available objects, so this preliminary decoding has masses of text still encoded, but it may still give some hints.

Alastair

#36 Post by Alastair » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:36 pm

Alex wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:43 pm
Ignore the old one, I have a better version now because I decided to download and use a proper hex editor. This has several advantages over my old method, not least I can automate a large part of the process and I no longer need to play the game (or see screen shots of the game) to work out the correct text.

So without further ado here is my decoded Cornucopia text. I think it is pretty much complete but I have not gone through it with a fine tooth comb so there may be the odd message that is not quite right - if so please tell me and I will see if I can correct it.
Attachments
Cornucopia_Text.zip
(30.67 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

Alex

#37 Post by Alex » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:57 pm

Alastair wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:36 pm

Ignore the old one, I have a better version now because I decided to download and use a proper hex editor. This has several advantages over my old method, not least I can automate a large part of the process and I no longer need to play the game (or see screen shots of the game) to work out the correct text.

So without further ado here is my decoded Cornucopia text. I think it is pretty much complete but I have not gone through it with a fine tooth comb so there may be the odd message that is not quite right - if so please tell me and I will see if I can correct it.
Thanks!!! this one is a lot easier to read. It does give me the solution for a few puzzles and confirms some ideas I had but I still will have to work out which commands and which objects to use.

Another thing yesterday evening I worked out how to travel to the other locations :D So a lot of work to do :)

Canalboy

#38 Post by Canalboy » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:36 pm

Alex wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:57 pm
Alastair wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:36 pm

Thanks!!! this one is a lot easier to read. It does give me the solution for a few puzzles and confirms some ideas I had but I still will have to work out which commands and which objects to use.

Another thing yesterday evening I worked out how to travel to the other locations :D So a lot of work to do :)
I have just loaded it up. Do you think the transport system that you have discovered will enable you to avoid losing the two treasures you hitherto mentioned or not? It could be to early to say In realise.

Alex

#39 Post by Alex » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:10 pm

No unfortunately that
Canalboy wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:36 pm
Do you think the transport system that you have discovered will enable you to avoid losing the two treasures you hitherto mentioned or not?
Unfortunately not. I'm pretty sure that it is a bug. But with the fix I made at least it will be possible to finish it with all objects.

Talking about objects there is still one object I did not manage to locate. It is a plastic bag.

The wooded area with the pixie is one I still can not reach. It seems there has to be some other way to get there.

I also did not find a way to enter rooms 9f and a0 but it maybe they are not included in the game.

Furthermore I can't reach:
-Room 43 Granite corridor. The puzzle with the dragon has to be solved first.
-Room 4f Below dais. First I have to remove the granite block.
-Room a4 Tiny cavern. I can't get rid of the troll.

All other locations I can reach, Only other problem is I don't know how you can reach the underground area for a second time after you have returned to your cottage to leave some treasures.

Canalboy

#40 Post by Canalboy » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:21 pm

Have you managed to completely map the strange forest at the start of the game yet?

Alex

#41 Post by Alex » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:28 pm

Canalboy wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:21 pm
Have you managed to completely map the strange forest at the start of the game yet?
Yest it is on the map I've uploaded. Showing all the room connections.

Canalboy

#42 Post by Canalboy » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:43 pm

Alex wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:28 pm
Canalboy wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:21 pm
Yest it is on the map I've uploaded. Showing all the room connections.
This parser can be annoying. An object is describes as "a single magnificent sword." The parser understands neither "single" nor "magnificent." In the end I found that "rune sword" works.

Alex

#43 Post by Alex » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:51 pm

If you like to see the names of available objects in a room. Type examine all.

Canalboy

#44 Post by Canalboy » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:54 pm

Very handy, thanks.

Alastair

#45 Post by Alastair » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:47 pm

Alex wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:51 pm
If you like to see the names of available objects in a room. Type examine all.
It's like Catacombs in that pressing F5 brings up the "examine all" command - unless you change it by pressing F6. (F1, F3, and F7 also have built in commands that can be changed with F2, F4, and F8 respectively.)