Cornucopia

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Strident

Cornucopia

#1 Post by Strident » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:30 am

Following on from the thread attempting to solve Brian Cotton's long lost Catacombs; this is for one of his other games, Cornucopia.

Original thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1695
Background on Catacombs et al. http://8bitag.com/info/catacombs.html
Our DB entry: http://solutionarchive.com/game/id%2C77 ... copia.html
The game file: download/file.php?id=394
Having committed a heinous crime against the Gods (spitting on the steps of the temple, I think), you are summoned before them. This is an extremely rare occurrence, as most offenders are summarily executed with a lightning bolt!

As you cower before the Gods, half-blinded by their splendour, they reveal why they have spared you - temporarily. They have a small task for you to perform: "Find the Cornucopia and bring it here" they boom. The problem is, although everyone's heard of the fabled Horn of Plenty, no one seems to know where it is to be found.

CORNUCOPIA is a truly gigantic and extremely difficult adventure which includes many pitfalls that will entrap even the experienced adventurer. There are numerous puzzles to be solved, and whilst the solutions are logical you may struggle for some time before you hit on the right answers.

Alex

Re: Cornucopia

#2 Post by Alex » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:07 pm

This one appears to be a lot bigger. Will take some hours to map it, but no problem :)
And a lot more objects.
I'm not playing it yet, but just gave it a quick look :lol: .

Uka

#3 Post by Uka » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:28 pm

Thanks, Alex!
It would be much easier to play it with your map :)
I only hope that there won't be any bugs there...

Alex

#4 Post by Alex » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:15 pm

Uka wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:28 pm
It would be much easier to play it with your map
Yes, I always start with a map that gives you an idea of which direction to go and it also ensures that you don't overlook a location.

This one has 175 rooms and 204 objects.

This one seems to include the use of magic spells.

Alex

#5 Post by Alex » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:49 pm

I compared the verbs from Catacombs with Cornucopia:

These verbs are only in Catacombs:
defile
stamp
swim

These verbs are only in Cornucopia:
burn
carry
crap
cremate
incinerate
out
shit
singe
tvqrex

The rest of the verbs are the same.

tvqrex transports you to another room. xerqvt (the reverse) transports you back.
Last edited by Alex on Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Canalboy

#6 Post by Canalboy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:42 pm

Strident wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:30 am
Following on from the thread attempting to solve Brian Cotton's long lost Catacombs; this is for one of his other games, Cornucopia.

Original thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1695
Background on Catacombs et al. http://8bitag.com/info/catacombs.html
Our DB entry: http://solutionarchive.com/game/id%2C77 ... copia.html
The game file: download/file.php?id=394
Having committed a heinous crime against the Gods (spitting on the steps of the temple, I think), you are summoned before them. This is an extremely rare occurrence, as most offenders are summarily executed with a lightning bolt!

As you cower before the Gods, half-blinded by their splendour, they reveal why they have spared you - temporarily. They have a small task for you to perform: "Find the Cornucopia and bring it here" they boom. The problem is, although everyone's heard of the fabled Horn of Plenty, no one seems to know where it is to be found.

CORNUCOPIA is a truly gigantic and extremely difficult adventure which includes many pitfalls that will entrap even the experienced adventurer. There are numerous puzzles to be solved, and whilst the solutions are logical you may struggle for some time before you hit on the right answers.
Thanks for making this one available Alex. When (and if) I ever finish JIm MacBrayne's Excalibur I shall plunge into the Horn Of Plenty. Are your initial findings that it is as tough as Catacombs?

Regards

Canalboy

Canalboy

#7 Post by Canalboy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:43 pm

Or Strident sorry!

Strident

#8 Post by Strident » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:18 pm

Well, it's Uka we have to thank for extracting all these files from a collector.

Hopefully one day some of the other formats will turn up. And maybe even the Commodore PET originals. You playing Jim MacBrayne's Excalibur is rather apt as games like Catacombs and Cornucopia formed an early part of his adventuring diet.

Canalboy

#9 Post by Canalboy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:54 pm

Strident wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:18 pm
Well, it's Uka we have to thank for extracting all these files from a collector.

Hopefully one day some of the other formats will turn up. And maybe even the Commodore PET originals. You playing Jim MacBrayne's Excalibur is rather apt as games like Catacombs and Cornucopia formed an early part of his adventuring diet.
Quite by chance I emailed Jim (he is always happy to discuss his games) an hour or so ago to send him the zipped version of Cornucopia.. I thought the styles were similar but little did I know of the connection!

Alex

#10 Post by Alex » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:47 pm

Canalboy wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:42 pm
Are your initial findings that it is as tough as Catacombs?

I walked through all the rooms just to prepare the mapping. I think this one is quite hard. I encountered some interesting puzzles, solved some, but most of them I didn't try yet. One of the first things you have to do is find something to drink. This involves using the spells. You can only use a spell once. Lots of ways to die.

Alex

#11 Post by Alex » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:40 pm

Almost done with the first version of the map :D. It has all the rooms on it and I marked which ones are dark rooms (where you need a lamp). I have mentioned the objects that I have found, but many objects are still missing. Also, I haven't reached several of the locations yet, as I haven't actually played the game yet. I learned some things about transportation. There are many puzzles to be solved. I'll give it another check one of these days and then I'll upload it.

First location I got stuck is how to exit the culvert after removing the grating :lol: .

Alex

#12 Post by Alex » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:31 pm

This one has an ending! I've just finished it (only solving the last puzzle :lol: )

Alex

#13 Post by Alex » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:34 pm

The map version 0.5 is ready :) . It is not finished yet. There are several locations I can't reach yet without cheating.

I managed to get 595 points. Strangely this includes not using some objects for puzzles.Does this mean you need do it it a diffrent way?

I have a lot of questions but I also managed to solve quite a few problems. But for now I won't spoil anything. I just wait a bit.

Note the map does include several spoilers because they are needed to reach a certain location.

Alex

#14 Post by Alex » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:35 pm

I get the message file too large but it is only 340 kb? strange, has something been changed to the forum?

I have uploaded the map to the site and will replace it with a complete map when I have a new version.

Alex

#15 Post by Alex » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:55 pm

Some questions in the first part of the game:

-What to do with the grating in the culvert or is this just scenery?
-What is the use of the rusty sword?
-While in the elevator down, should you put something in the alcove?
-What is the use of killing the rat and taking it?
-How to get rid of the troll?
-What is the use of the brown sack?
-Should you do something with the compost?
-Where to use the whistle?
-What is the use of cutting the snake in half? It doesn’t kill you if you take the rod.
-Something to do in the dungeons?
-What to do inside dragon statue? How to turn the flame off? I guess the levers are used to control whether you enter the dead end or the trapdoor room. What is the use of the brown button?
-How to use the mirror?
-How to open the portcullis?

I do have more questions, but I think we first need to solve some of the above before we can reach the other parts of the game.
Last edited by Alex on Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.