Deja Vu Graham Nelson

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Alex

Deja Vu Graham Nelson

#1 Post by Alex » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:57 pm

Did anyone ever manage to finish Deja Vu from Graham Nelson? I'm clearing out my old notes and I tried to play it once but only managed to get 18 out of 50 points.
Maybe it's because I've never played the Infocom adventures, but I was only able to solve a few puzzles.

Denk

Re: Deja Vu Graham Nelson

#2 Post by Denk » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:58 pm

I haven't played that title but others by Graham Nelson. Several of his games are very difficult, much more difficult than most Infocom games I think. I've played Jigsaw and Curses and they are both very difficult. I gave up as I felt I had to resort constantly to the walkthrough very early. But if you accept that you might have to do that sometimes with these games, it may be worth it. Also, as far as I remember, those two games can become unwinnable without the player knows it. Another game by Graham Nelson, Balances, is significantly easier. So if Deja Vu is difficult it shouldn't scare you away from the many excellent Infocom games and Inform games etc.

Strident

#3 Post by Strident » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:05 pm

From the comments I've read it doesn't sound like even Graham Nelson thinks Deja Vu is worth playing! :) Strictly a tech demo.

Alex

#4 Post by Alex » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:10 pm

Strident wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:05 pm
From the comments I've read it doesn't sound like even Graham Nelson thinks Deja Vu is worth playing! :) Strictly a tech demo.
Yes I've read that too, but nevertheless I have been playing it several times trying to beat it :) .
Denk wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:58 pm
So if Deja Vu is difficult it shouldn't scare you away from the many excellent Infocom games and Inform games etc.
The reason I never played Infocom games back then was that I had an MSX computer and Infocom did not release MSX versions of their games. I was more a Level 9 fan. Later when I started playing on emulators and my c64 there were so many other games around. I do own an original PC copy of Zork III somewhere (if I have not thrown it away because I can't use disks any longer) but I did not like it.