The Next Adventure Jam

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Garry

The Next Adventure Jam

#1 Post by Garry » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:44 pm

I wasn't sure whether to post this under modern or classic, but because the theme is more classic than modern, I've posted it here.

The 4th Adventuron game jam was running from 6 June to 5 July 2020. This one was called 'The Next Adventure Jam', as contributors were encouraged to port a version of their game that would run on the Spectrum Next. 7 games were submitted and judging is now underway. See https://itch.io/jam/next-adventure-jam/entries to view the games. All can be played in a browser and a couple of them have downloadable versions that can be played on the Spectrum Next and/or Spectrum +3.

The quality of these games seems to get higher and higher with each game jam. These games would appeal to anyone that likes classic text adventures from the 8-bit era. Please visit the submissions page at the link above, play and rate the games.

Mr Creosote

Re: The Next Adventure Jam

#2 Post by Mr Creosote » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:31 am

Cool! Just a pity that all those which have no downloadable version will be lost forever in no time.

Garry

#3 Post by Garry » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:36 am

itch.io is a very stable platform, so the games are likely to stay there until the author removes them. However, it is very hard to find them in amongst the tens of thousands of other games on itch.io. It would be nice to have them all linked from one place and to have a downloadable version so that you can play them offline if (say) you lose your internet connection.

Personally, I'm a bit paranoid and I like to have a local copy. It's a bit awkward, but it is possible to save a local copy by following these steps:
  1. Navigate to the game page, but do not click the Run game button.
  2. Right click on a blank area of the page and choose View Page Source from the shortcut menu. (This step may vary slightly, depending on your browser.)
  3. Search for the string: 'src=&quot;'. This is roughly halfway between the start of the '<div data-iframe' element and the 'Run game' button text.
  4. Copy the url immediately after that string, commencing with the double slash '//' and ending with 'index.html'.
  5. Paste the url into your browser's address box and press Enter. The game should load.
  6. Optionally, press Enter until you get past the title and intro text and the game starts.
  7. Choose File > Save Page As and save the page locally somewhere. (This step may vary slightly, depending on your browser.)
You now have a local version as a backup. I'd still recommend running it from itch.io at least once just for the developer's benefit, as itch.io keeps some nice analytics so that the developer can see how many people viewed the game per day and where they linked from.

Strident

#4 Post by Strident » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:09 pm

Mr Creosote wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:31 am
Cool! Just a pity that all those which have no downloadable version will be lost forever in no time.
Well, it's extremely easy for authors to make an offline version of Adventuron games. And incredibly easy to make versions for 8-bit & 16-bit machines, using the DAAD export and DAADReady! If they're "lost forever in no time" then that'll be the individual author's choice.

Mr Creosote

#5 Post by Mr Creosote » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:08 am

Garry wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:36 am
Personally, I'm a bit paranoid and I like to have a local copy. It's a bit awkward, but it is possible to save a local copy by following these steps:
Cool, thank you :D

Garry

#6 Post by Garry » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:19 am

I've been working my way through the games and will add entries to CASA when the jam is over. I've finished Rite of the Druid, Last Night in the Office, Nix and Charlie the Chimp.

Nix has a download link. Don't use that version, as it's buggy and doesn't have any graphics. Click on the main image and it will play in an iframe. You can then right-click outside the iframe, and follow the previous instructions to do the download thing.