Help on C64 version of Davy Jones Locker

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

nimusi

Help on C64 version of Davy Jones Locker

#1 Post by nimusi » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:31 pm

I've been playing this game from River Software for the last 2 months. My current score is 82 so I think I am coming to the end; however I am now completely stuck. I have referred to the hints and solution available here on CASA, but that seems to be for the Spectrum version which does not correspond to the C64 version.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!

I have managed to turn the gun barrel on the U-Boat so it is pointing West, but I can't find the ammunition. In the Spectrum version there is an unexploded shell, but I cannot find anything of the sort. Thinking I might have missed something earlier, I have re-started the game (twice!), but still cannot find the shell. Does anyone have any information on this? Any help would be appreciated...

Strident

Re: Help on C64 version of Davy Jones Locker

#2 Post by Strident » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:49 pm

The unexploded shell should be in the "waste bin" location (accessible via "the trench").

nimusi

#3 Post by nimusi » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:57 pm

Thank you very much Strident. I had looked there earlier, trying everything I could think of (including 'SEARCH WASTE', 'SEARCH BIN', 'EXAMINE WASTE', 'EXAMINE BIN', 'DIG WASTE', 'DIG BIN').

Armed with your response I went back and carried on trying. It was 'SEARCH METAL' or 'EXAMINE METAL' that worked.

I've just uploaded the map for this version, bearing in mind the map and the puzzles are slightly different to the Spectrum version.

Thanks very much for your help.

Strident

#4 Post by Strident » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:08 pm

Yeah, in many cases there are three different versions of some of the River games... a PAWed one (for Spectrum & Amstrad CP/M), a Quilled one (for C64) and a STACed one for Atari ST.

Some of the very early (1986) games also had Quilled versions (equivalent to the C64 ones) for the Spectrum, before Jack & Roger switched to the PAW.