Catacombs/Cornucopia

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Strident

Catacombs/Cornucopia

#1 Post by Strident » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:14 am

Anyone up for a real challenge?

The DOS versions of the long-lost games Catacombs and Cornucopia have been finally been found and archived. These games, in the Classic Quests series, were based on some of the very first UK-authored adventure games, originally produced for Commodore PET.

The archivist is keen to have the files tested thoroughly before he shares them more widely with the community, so is looking for a few people to try and solve them.

These aren't for the faint-hearted. They're very tricky games (billed as such back in the day, so I'd expect lots of locations and deliberately difficult puzzles).

So, if you're up for a challenge then let me know and I'll hook you up with the files (not to be shared elsewhere at this point).

You can read about the history of Catacombs (and the other Classic Quests games) here: http://8bitag.com/info/catacombs.html

Garry

Re: Catacombs/Cornucopia

#2 Post by Garry » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:30 pm

That's a fascinating article. I remember Pactronics, but wouldn't have paid any attention to those ads, as I was using an Atari at the time. I had a little chuckle to myself when I read the bit about them branching out into games, not the "here today, gone tomorrow" type, yet here we are trying to find and restore those games because they were "gone tomorrow". :lol:

Ordinarily, I'd offer to play (or try to play) Catacombs and Cornucopia, but I'm still tied up with the SC-3000 text adventure restoration project. Maybe later. They sound hard, though.