The Guild/The Guild Adventure Software

Information from and to the site administrators.

Moderator: Alastair

Strident

The Guild/The Guild Adventure Software

#1 Post by Strident » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:34 pm

We've somehow managed to end up with two different publisher entries for The Guild/The Guild Adventure Software, despite them being a single company.

I can manually change over all The Guild references to The Guild Adventure Software... but if there is a quicker, higher-level admin way to do it then that would probably be better.

(I think at one point we probably though there was a case for The Guild & The Guild Adventure Software being different companies, as The Guild Adventure Software was attached to a lot of really old games, that predated The Guild by many years... However, I think they all ended up being "puiblic domain" (with very heavy emphasis on those quotes as many weren't really) that were distributed by the Guild as part of their C64 public domain catalogue.)

[Edit: As there are less The Guild Adventure Software entries, it might be best to change those to The Guild then rename The Guild to The Guild Adventure Software]

Strident

Re: The Guild/The Guild Adventure Software

#2 Post by Strident » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:51 pm

(I'm going to go through all the early "The Guild" stuff, with impossible dates... i.e. prior to it existing as a company... and try and assign the correct first publisher, where possible... It's already led to me spotting a few duplicate entries in the database)

Alastair

#3 Post by Alastair » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:37 pm

Strident wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:34 pm
I can manually change over all The Guild references to The Guild Adventure Software... but if there is a quicker, higher-level admin way to do it then that would probably be better.
There is an admin tool that may do this but I was told not to touch it! So I will have to leave it to Jacob to run this tool (assuming that it can do the job).

Strident

#4 Post by Strident » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:53 pm

No worries. I can probably do it manually without it taking too long, as once I've worked through some of the games I'm finding the earlier publishers anyway.

Strident

#5 Post by Strident » Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:45 pm

I've now amalgamated The Guild/The Guild Adventure Software publisher.

More work is needed on identifying the original publication source of many of these games (a lot of them were released either via the authors and/or as public domain/shareware) before they became part of the Guild's library... but I'm gradually sorting these out as I'm working out the history of many of the C64 games.

Strident

#6 Post by Strident » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:14 pm

In reality, I don't think The Guild started distributing Commodore 64 titles much before the start of 1993... This is a mention from the April 1993 issue of Adventure Probe, where it's also included in the news section...
shareware-1993.PNG
shareware-1993.PNG (226.16 KiB) Viewed 2502 times
news.jpg
news.jpg (92.46 KiB) Viewed 2502 times