Solution problem? Feasibility Experiment

Information from and to the site administrators.

Moderator: Alastair

equinox

Solution problem? Feasibility Experiment

#1 Post by equinox » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:16 pm

Hi. Possible problem here:
https://solutionarchive.com/file/id,272/

I admit I don't understand this game at all since there seem to be no room descriptions, just unhelpful pictures. Maybe there's a text option I don't know about...?

Anyway, Jacob's solution fails at GET EMERALDS since we are carrying too much. We could drop something (if it isn't needed later) but the solution should probably take this into account.
I am playing the Spectrum version, in case there are others.

Strident

Re: Solution problem? Feasibility Experiment

#2 Post by Strident » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:19 pm

There are many different versions of that game.

The site has a Spectrum specific solution.
http://solutionarchive.com/file/id%2C10035/

Exemptus

#3 Post by Exemptus » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:34 pm

equinox wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:16 pm
Maybe there's a text option I don't know about...?
Indeed. Just press ENTER if the picture shows and it will be replaced by the text description, and vice versa. This goes for all the "Mysterious Adventures" games on the Spectrum.

equinox

#4 Post by equinox » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:44 am

Mind-blowing. Thanks. We got "Blizzard Pass" (by Alan Cox, later known for his work on Linux networking) with our Spectrum +2, and that had an overt text/graphics switch. I remember as a kid we saw "what now? I am freezing" and typed "SIT ON A ROTTEN TOMATO" and laughed our little heads off.
When I was six years old first using a home computer I didn't know about Dungeons & Dragons but now I understand a lot of the background that went into those early adventures.
As it happens I recently read the book "Masters of Doom" about John Carmack and John Romero (the developers of the famous old shooter DOOM) and I found that Romero is still chuggin' along (romerogames.ie) and demanding that every creative applicant has played D&D, as a pre-requisite.

On, on one goes, not knowing why or how.