VICE C64 multi part tape game

Everything you ever wanted to know about emulators and interpreters - but were afraid to ask.

Moderator: Alastair

nimusi

VICE C64 multi part tape game

#1 Post by nimusi » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:57 pm

I'm playing Merlin from Adventure Workshop using the VICE C64 emulator.

I have got to a stage in the game where it says 'You must now save your position and load part two of Merlin.'

It then prompts me for 'Disc or Tape?'. I type in Tape as I am using a T64 image. It then says 'Type in Filename.'; I type in RIVER. It then prompts me 'Start the tape.'

What do I do here? I have never used a physical C64 so have no idea of how to make this work.

An idiot's guide would be really helpful.

nimusi

Re: VICE C64 multi part tape game

#2 Post by nimusi » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:56 pm

Found this on a Lemon64 forum:

if the game only supports saving to tape and not disk, then you need to use tape image. Alt+T to attach tape image, then enter filename and click "Create Image". Next attach the new TAP image and use File > Datassette control > Record to record the data to the image when asked to press record & play on tape.

After loading part two the game attach the created TAP file and use File > Datassette Control > Start when you are asked to press play on tape.

Am back in the game now, enjoying it immensely!

Strident

#3 Post by Strident » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:59 pm

You certainly mix it up in terms of playing on different platforms. Always interesting to see which games you pick to tackle for map-making. :) Merlin was an Amstrad game originally. Some of The Guild ports can be a little ropey.

nimusi

#4 Post by nimusi » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:04 pm

I can usually tell fairly quickly whether I will like a game. With Merlin, for example, the puzzles at the start are fairly straight forward, use Object A to get Object B which will help with problem C. You find clothing which you can search for another item; wearing the clothing provides the solution for another problem. Finally, giving away the clothing gets another object.

My primary love of Adventure games is because of map-making. At the very start of Part 2 of Merlin there is a maze of hills, I've just spent a couple of hours mapping these out. I know many people detest mazes but I quite like them|