No longer receiving email notifications

Information from and to the site administrators.

Moderator: Alastair

Garry

No longer receiving email notifications

#1 Post by Garry » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:47 pm

I used to receive an email notification when something I submitted had been accepted and entered into the database, there was an update to the forum or I had received a personal message. I haven't received any emails for any of these for a few weeks. Is something broken?

Exemptus

Re: No longer receiving email notifications

#2 Post by Exemptus » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:31 pm

I can confirm this happens to me as well. I had assumed this was a deliberate global change in settings or policy, and did not think again of it as it was unimportant. But then again, it may be an unintended side effect.

Alastair

#3 Post by Alastair » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:24 pm

Garry wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:47 pm
I used to receive an email notification when something I submitted had been accepted and entered into the database,
This part is voluntary on the part of whoever accepts the submission. Since an email notification sends the email address of that person to whoever submitted the information I personally do not send a notification (unlike Jacob I do not have a CASA specific email address), but I haven't recently done any such updates so you can rule me out of the equation.
Garry wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:47 pm
there was an update to the forum or I had received a personal message. I haven't received any emails for any of these for a few weeks. Is something broken?
These should be automatic, unless they are being filtered out by some overzealous spam filter then something may be broken.

Garry

#4 Post by Garry » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:25 am

Alastair wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:24 pm
These should be automatic, unless they are being filtered out by some overzealous spam filter then something may be broken.
I checked the spam settings on Google and my email client and couldn't find anything to indicate that CASA emails are being filtered. Both have a setting that spam emails are automatically deleted after 30 days and there was nothing in the Spam or Junk folder that was waiting to be deleted.

Alastair

#5 Post by Alastair » Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:39 pm

Just a note that I received a PM email. Garry and Exemptus, have you checked your notification options (User Control Panel > Board preferences > Edit notification options) to see if anything has changed?

Garry

#6 Post by Garry » Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:04 am

Under Board preferences > Edit notification options, I previously had all EMAIL options selected. I have now selected all NOTIFICATIONS options, so that when I view the forum, I can at least see the recent notifications.

Exemptus

#7 Post by Exemptus » Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:36 pm

Garry wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:04 am
Under Board preferences > Edit notification options, I previously had all EMAIL options selected. I have now selected all NOTIFICATIONS options, so that when I view the forum, I can at least see the recent notifications.
Exactly the same as above. I can't remember ever changing those settings, but it's possible I did and forgot about it. In any case, I know what to expect now. Thanks to Alastair for the tip.

Garry

#8 Post by Garry » Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:04 am

There may well be other users affected by this, but they don't know because they're not getting any email notifications. I just thought the forum was going through a quiet period and was surprised to find that I had a lot of unread forum threads that I didn't know about.

Who maintains the forum? Do they know about this? Maybe they don't know there's an issue because they're not getting any email notifications. That would be ironic. :lol:

Simon

#9 Post by Simon » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:05 pm

My notifications were still ticked to receive emails, but I'm not receiving any. I have quite a few maps and solutions awaiting approval so maybe the approvers aren't getting notifications of uploaded content either?

Exemptus

#10 Post by Exemptus » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:47 pm

Simon wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:05 pm
My notifications were still ticked to receive emails, but I'm not receiving any. I have quite a few maps and solutions awaiting approval so maybe the approvers aren't getting notifications of uploaded content either?
Maybe, but I wouldn't worry too much. The processing of the upload queue is somewhat irregular, but in my experience everything ends up being processed sooner or later.

Alastair

#11 Post by Alastair » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:23 am

Garry wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:04 am
Who maintains the forum? Do they know about this?
I've looked at the settings in the admin control panel and nothing obvious leaps out at me. Then again, perhaps I don't know what I am looking for. So short of messing around with things I don't fully understand, :D, it looks like another job for Jacob.

nimusi

#12 Post by nimusi » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:35 pm

I too have quite a few submissions which do not appear to be getting processed. Is there a problem with the administrators being notified of submissions?

Alastair

#13 Post by Alastair » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:10 pm

nimusi wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:35 pm
I too have quite a few submissions which do not appear to be getting processed. Is there a problem with the administrators being notified of submissions?
No, the problem relates to part of the database no longer working properly - see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1817.

Until this is fixed only resources (solutions, hints, maps, screenshots, etc.) can be processed without exacerbating the problem.