The Base

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

ChickenMan

The Base

#1 Post by ChickenMan » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:45 am

I'm attempting to get through the Amstrad version of The Base ( http://solutionarchive.com/game/id%2C91 ... C+The.html ) In Part 1, I've advanced to the part where I have the Pass and have taken a photo of myself but cant find a way of sticking the photo to the empty spot on the pass. In desperation I grabbed the solution by terri. After you TAKE PHOTO, the solution suggests STICK PHOTO ON PASS but that doesnt work :( I have tried I think every similar phrase with the response of "You can't do that." You can continue on and end the Part 1 adventure, but you cant proceed to Part 2.

HELP, does anyone know how to add the photo to the pass and proceed to Part 2 ? I'm desperate !!!!!

Thanks to anyone that can help.
Alan

Garry

Re: The Base

#2 Post by Garry » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:06 am

I haven't played it, so can't help. Note that Terri's solution is for the Spectrum version. I did an UnPaws on the Spectrum game and confirmed that Terri's solution to STICK PHOTO ON PASS is correct. On the Amstrad version, perhaps try synonyms for the verb and the preposition, e.g. STICK/GLUE/ATTACH/PASTE PHOTO ON/TO/ONTO PASS. Note that you need the small tube of glue (you do have it, don't you?), so try other commands like STICK/GLUE/ATTACH/PASTE PHOTO WITH GLUE.

Strident

#3 Post by Strident » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:14 am

Edit: Temporarily ignore the comments below... as I can't spot the Quilled version in any archives, I'm guessing that you're playing the CP/M PAWed version for Amstrad instead... in which case my comments will be redundant. I'll load up the game later and see if I can find a solution.

The Amstrad original was Quilled so will only accept two word inputs. (Sometimes authors did split that into two inputs... for example...

> STICK PHOTO
Onto what?

>ONTO PASS
You stick the photo onto the pass.

I've not idea if that's the case in this game but I would presume you've tried just STICK PHOTO anyway.

I'll attempt to have a look at the Amstrad Quilled code later.

Strident

#4 Post by Strident » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:52 am

Urgh... Yes, I see what you mean. Nothing seems to work with the pass and the glue.

I'm pretty sure I must've got at least to part two of the CP/M version, as I reviewed it back in the day. Unfortunately there is no unPAWs for the CP/M version of the PAW, so I can't look at the code.

I'll keep trying various combinations, but I've tried everything so far that Garry suggested, and a lot more.

Strident

#5 Post by Strident » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:02 am

Will have another good go this evening.

I've done a quick vocab check. You can gauge what words are in the vocabulary by typing them in, in isolation, and seeing which response you get.

Verbs that are in the vocab: stick, insert, place, put, use
Nouns that are in the vocab: pass, photo, glue, tube

Verbs that probably aren't in the vocab: affix, attach, paste, make
Nouns that probably aren't in the vocab: space

ChickenMan

#6 Post by ChickenMan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:57 am

Thanks guys, yes its the CP/M Amstrad version and I'm actually running it on my Microbee that runs CP/M.

Started trying more variations and found STICK PHOTO IN PASS works :) :) :) :)
and you get the response

You stick the photograph into the pass. It uses up all the glue.

Fantastic, thanks everyone for your help, so now to continue to the end and start Part 2.

Cheers, Alan

Strident

#7 Post by Strident » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:00 pm

Well done. :) Yeah, I can see why Philip changed that in the Spectrum port.

Strident

#8 Post by Strident » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:16 pm

If I'd have programmed that, I just would've done a check for STICK PHOTO and made sure the second noun was PASS... Adding an extra check for a preposition is just redundant and can cause frustration.

Mind you, these days, I probably would just program STICK PHOTO... I rarely see the need for four word inputs.

Strident

#9 Post by Strident » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:06 pm

One of my pet hates... an input that doesn't work is actually the response to an input that does!

(Although I've been just as guilty of doing it sometimes)