Modern Point'n'Click Titles

Information from and to the site administrators.

Moderator: Alastair

Alebo

Modern Point'n'Click Titles

#1 Post by Alebo » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:20 pm

Hi!

You guys say that CASA is not the place for modern point'n'click titles. But how do you define modern point'n'click games?

Mark

Re: Modern Point'n'Click Titles

#2 Post by Mark » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:15 pm

Guess it begins roughly at "Maniac Mansion". Definetly at "Monkey Island", which, if I remember correctly, was the first game with no dead ends or dying involved. Though in MI1, you could die at one spot, if you tried really really hard :-).

Alebo

#3 Post by Alebo » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:26 pm

I don't see the difference between games like Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken and Monkey Island. They all have the same resolutions and controls. The original Monkey Island version featured only 16 colors!

Mark

#4 Post by Mark » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:50 pm

Difference is that in MM or Zak, you could die or get irreversibly stuck. As such, their philosophy is closer to classic text adventures. Monkey Island was the first without death and one-way dead ends.

That'd be my classification. I leave a more accurate one to the more regular users here :-).

Alastair

#5 Post by Alastair » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:07 pm

CASA is not really the place for point'n'click adventures, whether you define them as modern or not is immaterial, the site is mainly concerned with adventures where you need to type in commands to perform at least some actions.

I'm aware that some point'n'click games appear on the site. Think of them as anomalies that for reasons lost in the mists of time - we're talking about a different millennium - somehow gained an entry here. They should not be thought of as being indicative of the type of point'n'click adventure this site accepts because as a rule point'n'click adventures shouldn't really be here.

Mr Creosote

#6 Post by Mr Creosote » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:38 am

I'd say keep the fairness aspect (getting stuck, dying) out of it. Although admittedly blurry, the line is just the interface. My working definition is this: If you have your hand on the mouse most of the time, it's probably point & click. If you type most of the time, it probably belongs on CASA.