The Galleon c64

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Alex

The Galleon c64

#1 Post by Alex » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:12 am

I'm playing the galleon on the C64 for a while now but must admit to being completely stuck and I only have been able to get some mere 50 points out of 666. Has someone played this game before or does someone want to give it a try?

Questions:

-When you climb the waggon which drives over the highroad. What to do with the peasant who is whipping the yetis?
-What's the use of sailing to the island with Sam Sung. The only thing I found there was a teleport demon or is there some way to climb the wall?
-Where to get te autogramm of a famous person for Cesspool the nomadic chieftain in the nomad's camp
-How to open the gate to the garden east of the highway?
-What to do with Lisaura or the ogre which you can buy at the slave market?
-How to kill the stone monsters on the hill and how to open the door of the ruins on the hill?
-How to enter the palace?
-How to get rid of the kitchen-maid? Do you have to make some dinner in the pan?
-How to survive when you are thrown inside the arena and have to fight ping pong?
-How to get the fish-hook in the cemetary without being killed?
-Has the elf-prostitue any use accept robbing you when you give her the tonic?
-What to do with the chicken which is frozen to the ground in the ice hut?
-How to pass the louse inside the mine?
-How to open the wooden door on the alpine meadow?
-How to get the amulet from your father Musclehead?
-What to do with Ron (inside the bakery)?
-What to do with the minstrel?
-What to do with Kunigunda?
-How to enter the monastery?
-How to open the hidden wooden door on the gnomes shrine?
-What to do with Gourd the gnomes chief?
-Do you have to do something with the cauldron below zeda's house?
-How can you walk inside the castle on the lake without being killed by the ghosts?
-How to get enough money to free your brother from the tower. I only got 320 selling the necklace, watch, sword, silver hair lside, chalice, lenin-statuette and lamp)
-Where can i find a descendent of Glucose. The gnomes asked me to kill him? I guesss you have to go to the lakeside villa as the rogue tells you but where is this?
-How to kill the spider?
-Is it possible to kill the snake? (It only bites you when you stay in the same room)
-I killed the rat. Does it has any use?
-How to pass the thrang on the sand hill?
-What's the use of giving the catfood to Zelda's cat?
-What's the use of calling the amazon with the whistle?
-How to walk in the foggy vale through the white fog?
-How to steal the pipe without being noticed by the guard? I know you have to climb inside the barrel, but how can you empty it or how can you hold your breath after you press the button?
-How to open the trapdoor in the hovel of the ferryman?

Found objects:

Shirt
buckskins
necklace
watch
small key
box of matches
lamp
sword
box of cornflakes
yoghurt
note
magic potion
bottle of oil
candle
oil
rope
spade
catfood
cigarette stubs
leaflets
water-fleas
newspaper
rubber boots
stuffed guinea-pig
beer
tonic
alcohol
whiskey
vinegar
aftershave
pan
whistle
shuriken
grapes
fish-hook
prunes
silver hair-slide
barrel
pipe
snowball
bread
berries
mushrooms
mirror
panties
pair of socks
wax figurine
gold chalice
magic staff
silver key
arrow
cube of sugar
head
corpse
brass key
dead rat
bronze key
lenin-statuette

persons encountered:

herb-woman
scarecrow
ferryman
three stone monsters
guard at city gate
passer-by
innkeeper
kitchen-maid
werewolf
elf-prostitute
bugaboo
two guards in museum
louse
Gourd the gnome chief
two gnomes at campfire
Ron
Kuniganda
musclehead
minstrel
rogue
hunter
amazon
pinewood gnome at gate
wanderer
6 teleport demons
butler
ghosts in castle

Alex

Re: The Galleon c64

#2 Post by Alex » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:42 am

Being hopelessly lost I hacked the game a bit :oops: . I now have infinite matches, money, spelpoints, have learned all the spells and can travel to any location I want. This answered some of the above questions. But I'm still finding a proper way of earning enough money to free Raernon and I don't know how to learn the spells without cheating and I can't open the mayority of the doors. I'll just keep trying :) .

Gunness
Site Admin

#3 Post by Gunness » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:16 am

Intriguing :) I've never heard of the game but I'll take a closer look tonight.

Alex

#4 Post by Alex » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:37 pm

Found something more inside the game: the complete object list (allthough a lot of things I haven't encountered yet while playing especially the keys!)

toad
small fish
small key
bronze key
large key
iron key
silver key
green key
brass key
golden key
jail key
key
red crystal
orange crystal
yellow crystal
green crystal
blue crystal
violet crystal
crystal
gleaming gem
ruby
lenin-statuette
silver candllestick
gold chalice
gold ring
gold nugget
silver hair-slide
box of matches
lamp
sword
book
box of cornflakes
can of yoghurt
note
mirelite chicken
grapefruit
mango
banana
bunch of grapes
some prunes
some mushrooms
some elderberries
an ear of maize
grain of maize
dry stalk
fruit-pie
some garlic
banana-skin
some bread
pan
recipe
rust-coloured shirt
some buckskins
necklace
quartz watch
grey robe
brown hood
cloak
straw-hat
winter-coat
magic staff
helmet
candle
bottle of oil
rope
spade
tumber
box of whiskas catfood
cigarette-stubs
some leaflets
pair of ear-plugs
newspaper
pair of rubber-boots
stuffed guinea-pig
pack of water-fleas
bottle
bottle of beer
bottle of whiskey
bottle of vinegar
bottle of methyl alcohol
bottle of aftershave
bottle of brandy
bottle of tonic
insecticide spray
gas-mask
bow
arrow
whistle
shuriken
machine-gun
some panties
pair of socks
mirror
little red reticule
photo
map
parchment scroll
pocket radio
pipe
some tobacco
some herb
hook
bottle of potion
plunger
red floor swab
lute
walkman
whip
prothesis
armour
bacon
bone
some fleas
corpse
head
cube sugar
haulm of straw
glass eye
egg
savings-box
amulet
humming-top
idol
tuning-fork
skull
brain
sack
small wax figurine
fishing rod
stake
long hair
fish-hook
snowball
some clay
ship
ferryboat
barrel
trabant

Gunness
Site Admin

#5 Post by Gunness » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:35 pm

Holy moley, that's quite a list.

Alex

#6 Post by Alex » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:54 pm

well the game is rather big. It has over 250 rooms and 97 characters/monsters. I'm playing it now for allmost a week. It took me a while to map because the mayority of the locations especially the forest, the mountains and underground are mazes. But at last I've done that and I can try solving the game.

Alex

#7 Post by Alex » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:40 am

I'm a bit further. I do have 105 points now.

I 'm having the following urgent problems:
-I don't know how to release the people of your village from the mine without getting killed by the orc slave drivers (I need to do this to get the amulet from Musclehead).
-I don't know how to get the silver key from the altar in the castle. The butler tells me only a person who died once before can take it. I tried to kill myself as Raernon then change to Tongrak and revive Raernon with the magic potion from the herb woman but when I return to the castle to get the key I get the same message. Is this a bug or is there some other way?

Furthermmore I still dont know the answers to the following question I mentioned above but perhaps they will solve themselves later on in the game:

-When you climb the waggon which drives over the highroad. What to do with the peasant who is whipping the yetis?
-How to enter the palace?
-Wat to do in the aren awith the war-cow?
-Has the elf-prostitue any use accept robbing you when you give her the tonic?
-What to do with the chicken which is frozen to the ground in the ice hut?
-How to open the wooden door on the alpine meadow?
-What to do with Ron (inside the bakery)?
-What to do with the minstrel?
-How to get a hair from Kunigunda?
-How to enter the monastery?
-What to do with Gourd the gnomes chief?
-How to get enough money to free your brother from the tower. I only got 320 selling the necklace, watch, sword, silver hair lside, chalice, lenin-statuette and lamp)
-Where can i find a descendent of Glucose. The gnomes asked me to kill him? I guesss you have to go to the lakeside villa as the rogue tells you but where is this?
-Is it possible to kill the snake? (It only bites you when you stay in the same room)
-How to pass the thrang on the sand hill?
-What's the use of giving the catfood to Zelda's cat?
-What's the use of calling the amazon with the whistle?
-How to open the trapdoor in the hovel of the ferryman?

Fortunately I solved some of the other questions but I'm still far away of getting all 666 points. I'll just keep trying but if anyone has any hints I'll be glad to hear it.

Alex

#8 Post by Alex » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:25 am

I now can get 264 from 666 points but still have a lot of questions.

Someone any idea with the following problem:

The gremlin inside the monastery asks me to retrieve the savings-box which has been stolen by the amazon. I found a map in the possession of the amazon which indicates where to find the savings-box. On it is the following riddle:

Darkness where grass is high,
key of the noteleks opens the door...
snail climbs up the mossy side of tree the falls down.
The doubly returning one says:
The sun and the pole-star rise together!

The first line refers to the location north of the forest and west of the plateau which says : “knee-high strong bladed grass and colourful wild flowers overgrow the alpine meadow you’re walking in. On the northern edge of the field is a large wooden door in the rock wall.”

Someone any idea what can be meant by the following lines? It isn’t a normal key to open the door because I’ve tried all the keys inside the game and they are used to open other doors.

I cheated the game to open the door and behind it is a maze of catacombs. If you find a way through you eventually find the savings-box but I didn't find the right way until now.

Alastair

#9 Post by Alastair » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:40 pm

Alex wrote:key of the noteleks opens the door...
Could this be a musical key or note?

Alex

#10 Post by Alex » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:28 am

Alastair wrote: Could this be a musical key or note?
Good idea I tried to open the door with the lute and the tuning fork but it didn't work. I don't know what object to use from the objects list (see above) or if I've to do something else. What I understood about noteleks, which is skeleton in reverse, that these are living skeletons in some RPGS, but that doesn't help me very much neither.

I'm afraid this one is rather difficult to solve but I''ll keep on trying. And if anyone wants to join you're welcome. The object of the game is to retrieve at least five of six crystals which are hidden in several places. Until now I found the location of four crystals (but I still need solving puzzles to obtain them). When you have five crystals you can enter the cave where you encounter the galleon, a mythical ship, where you have to defeat the vampire. The game doesn't end there but before I'm there I've many more puzzles to solve yet.

Alex

#11 Post by Alex » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:23 am

To get someone started:

To solve this game you have to play two brothers. Some tasks only can be solved by the barbarian Tongrak others need the magic powers of his brother Raernon.

Keys:

F3 Switch graphics on/off
F5 play with Tongrak
F7 play with Raernon
You can also switch between brothers by typing their names.

T: take
M: show amount of money current character
L: Look
X: exits

At the beginning of the game you start as Tongrak and your first task is to free your brother from a tower inside the forest where he is held prisoner (find your house and the note on the table will give some explanation). This task can be solved by collecting several objects and selling them to the shopkeeper in order to obtain sufficient money to pay his ransom. This is possible and if you’re doing it the right way you will get to know a great part of the game, but if you want to have a quick start (If you like me prefer to do this do this when you solved the rest of the game because it takes a lot of time digging around, collecting the objects and it is not clear at the start which object you should sell and which not) it is possible to obtain more money by cheating :oops: .

To cheat the game you have to enter the machine code monitor (alt-M when you are using ccs64 ).
To change a memory address you type M+address (for instance Mc002) followed by enter. You can now change the hex values of that location by just typing another hex number followed by enter. After this just hit escape to return to the game.

Doing this it is possible to obtain any object in the game, travel to any location you want or get to any person you want. This can be useful when you try to solve some puzzle when you don’t have the required object yet to be sure you don’t have to try something else to solve it (of course afterwards you still have to find the proper way to obtain the object :) ).

Giving all the memory locations should make this a very long list but the below locations are the most useful ones to get a quick start:

Memory location, Hex value, result
C002 FF Get maximum spellpower current character
C010 01 Light lamp when it’s filled with oil
C02E FF Fill lamp with oil
C025 FF
C026 BB Change these to get a lot of money for the current character

There is a system of teleporting from one location to another using teleport demons. They tell you how to do this when you meet them. There are six of them.

When you have released your brother, become Raernon and visit Queldrin in the magic shop. He will help you getting started.

Alastair

#12 Post by Alastair » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:54 pm

Alex wrote:... noteleks, which is skeleton in reverse ...
I hadn't realised that (oh the embarrassment). Looking through the list of objects I can see several parts of a skeleton, so do any of these parts work, either alone or in combination?

Alex

#13 Post by Alex » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:38 am

Alastair wrote:
Alex wrote:... noteleks, which is skeleton in reverse ...
I hadn't realised that (oh the embarrassment).
You're not the only one it took me some time to realize it :) .

I tried using the human parts to open the door but unfortunately no success.

I also thought it refers to a skeleton key, but I haven't a clue wich of the objects can be used as one and what are the correct commands to open the door with it. Unfortunately there are quite a lot doors that I can't open until know. Only a few doors are opened with keys, some you have to break down (which can only be done by Tongrak), others are opened by magic (which can only be done by Raernon) or by knocking the door or ringing the bell.

Alex

#14 Post by Alex » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:31 am

Tonight searching Hungarian internet pages (thanks Google translate! :) ) I stumbled upon the website of the game author. He admits that his game in places is extremely difficult and gives al lot of hints how to solve the game. There are more ways than one to solve the game. Although I solved the majority of the puzzles at last I will be able to complete the game. Although at some places it's extremely difficult this game has become one of my all-time favourites. It's huge and contains a lot of puzzles to solve. But some of its commands I didn't think of like for instance:

-To get rid of the war cow:
RIDE COW AND SPUR HER, W, CARESS HER, PULL CORD, STRIKE WALL

-To obtain the false teeth of the vampire
EAT GARLIC AND BREATHE AT VAMPIRE

-the below riddle I mentioned earlier
Alex wrote: The gremlin inside the monastery asks me to retrieve the savings-box which has been stolen by the amazon. I found a map in the possession of the amazon which indicates where to find the savings-box. On it is the following riddle:

Darkness where grass is high,
key of the noteleks opens the door...
snail climbs up the mossy side of tree then falls down.
The doubly returning one says:
The sun and the pole-star rise together!

The first line refers to the location north of the forest and west of the plateau which says : “knee-high strong bladed grass and colourful wild flowers overgrow the alpine meadow you’re walking in. On the northern edge of the field is a large wooden door in the rock wall.”
The solution to the above riddle is as follows:
STRIKE EGG ON DOOR (The egg was found on top of a skeleton), IN, D, LIGHT MATCH AND LAMP WITH MATCH, N („the mossy side”), U („snail climbs up”), D („then falls down”), S, S („doubly returning one” – so as twice backwards in the opposite way, it means), NE („the sun and the pole-star”), GET SAVINGS-BOX.

I'll complete my walkthrough and because of the complexity of the game I'll also make some hint sheet to make it easier for other players to try this game. This still will take some time because he does not give a solution to all problems and I'll try to have a maximum score. A shame this is his only English game he has written. He wrote some other games but alas my knowledge of Hungarian is zero.

IstenNyila

#15 Post by IstenNyila » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:16 pm

Greetings (and hi) to all! I am the above-mentioned author.

I only started that website of mine nearly half a year ago, and I have been working on it for the last few months mainly. So thus it is not entirely finished yet at the moment, but there are already a lot of interesting things uploaded (and not only on gaming themes). For example many of the articles are still not translated to English yet, but I shall do it finally as soon as possible. Any yes, I have got a lot of other games, but the most of them are in Hungarian only... However, I wrote some articles (and will also write some later further on) about them (and also about any other games) in English, too. So, I think it might be interesting to anyone.

Recently (in the past few weeks or months) I upload(ed) my games and their solutions, descriptions etc. to other similar pages and databases, too, e. g. this one at here (and IFDB, IF Archive etc.). All of these materials can also be found at my website. (There is a full solution of six pages in PDF suitable to play along the game till a maximum score.) Of course, if anyone else made also any kind of hints, reviews or anything else, I should be very glad to see.

Alex, did you use the "go to" command anyway? (It works like in some Level 9 games, for example Knight Orc.)

I think I am going to make some further notes of other Hungarian games, too, just to enrich the database (soon). (I well know the very best of them.)

Regards,

Robert