Battune - City - PC

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

terri

#46 Post by terri » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:36 am

Let's worry about that if it comes to that. Maybe there is no"end-game" to that section. It's a touch devious of the author to do this, but then I may be wrong. It may not require playing all over again.

Nevertheless, you got me into this, so you'd better be prepared to do section four. Initially it's not that bad. You can take all the objects you find to the robbers' roost, so they won't be stolen. After that we will play hit-and-miss with what we have.

Despite my mutterings, this has been very interesting so far. I'm tenacious, as you, so unless some brilliant souls join us (let's hope the random elements won't turn them off), we will muddle through. I hope this has nothing to do that (at least) I am not technologically or game-wise sophisticated in game-playing or cracking codes. Several people read these posts, but other than the hint about a bow, there is little help out there.

So voyeurs, you feel guilty now?

Amby

#47 Post by Amby » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:08 am

Following your lead I started over and have made it back to part 3 where I have wandered around getting an idea of what items are within reach and have made a rough map.

I gather it is best not to make any wasted moves, like trying to bait the rats with the cheese only, lest I end up in a no win situation? This puts a big damper on my usual try anything I can think of anywhere anytime approach to adventure gaming :). Hmmm, will need to study what I know I can get to, what obstacles I know are in my way, and plan my moves carefully..

Got the pole/wire/hook contraption made - haven't found a place to use it yet - was hoping it would work at the ledge with the box o traps but not thus far...

Will keep playing and hope to make it to part 4 before, erh, August...

terri

#48 Post by terri » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:02 am

See my previous hints.

The pole/wire/hook contraption - what would such a "fishing" contraption catch? To help you get "over" the obstacle.

I'm sure you will find something you need there for the obstacles that are left. Like maybe a ladder (for the traps), or the sticky substance, or the hammer for the lock?

terri

#49 Post by terri » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:26 am

Now that you are in section 4...

I have put all the objects I found in the robber's roost and put them there, though this may not have been the best thing to do, because it eventually tells you ttat you are hungry and then there are only a limited number of moves to make after that.

I have not saved (for example at the boat),

Terri

Amby

#50 Post by Amby » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:22 am

Would that I were in section 4. I am exactly where I was in section 3 when I last posted and fearing that I still won't know what to do with the fishing pole. Hoping to get to play this weekend.

terri

#51 Post by terri » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:57 am

Hint: the vines.

When you get to section four, I found out that one cannot waste time, so that putting all the objects in the robbers' roost, may not be a good idea. If they're stolen from you, that's likely where you will find them.

terri

Re: Battune - City - PC

#52 Post by terri » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:12 am

I have returned to this game after a hiatus of several years: City of Caverns or Cavern City.

This is a four-part game with each part becomng successively more difficult.

If you read the posts between Amby and me, you will note the frustration we had with the "one save" feature. This means that everytime you play from the beginning, a "new" game begins. Therefore you need to re-map. While the objects are the same, they are found in different locations, and you get them in a different order. You need to be VERY sure when you save/restore. The best time to do this is at the beginning of each new level, making a map and noting where the objects are, then getting them and putting them in one location. Then save.

I am up to level 4.

Help is needed.

You are, of course, welcome to start at the beginning. But if you don't want to experience the frustration we had, I am willing to send you:

a) hints on how to solve Levels 1, 2, and 3. I cannot give an exact solution, because your locations will be different, and you will have collected objects in a different order. But they are very good hints. Actually, it really is the only solution to a "random" game that is possible.

and/or

b) a "snapshot" of my "saved" position at the begining of level 4, which, technically speaking, is not at the beginning, as it includes all the objects I have found to this point. This will allow all of us to start this level in exactly the same game, allowing, I hope, for it to be solved.

You will of course, need to map the locations at Level 4, but at least our maps will be the same.

I anyone is interested in playing along with us (this may entice Amby to more eagerly revisit the game), please let me know by a "private message", and I will send you my "snapshot" with instructions.

The game (as well as 4 others) is easily found, but if not I can send that too. Unfortunately, I cannot send just this one game, because for some reason, I cannot open this (though you may be able to), though I CAN open the one in the .zip folder.

I would really appreciate if someone could join in, either from the beginning or just at this part.

Alex

#53 Post by Alex » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:54 pm

I gave it a try. I solved the first two parts and I made it to the fourth part with help of some hints I found elsewhere on the internet for the third part. I 'm still making a map right now for the fourth part. I did solve some puzzles. Where exactly are you stuck?

terri

#54 Post by terri » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:04 pm

I've collected all the objects that I can find. I got the honey. So I suppose I am stuck at the bear in the cave.

There are other locations that I haven't been able to get, but I think I may need more objects first.

Alex

#55 Post by Alex » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:33 am

Sorry for the delay, but I'm quite busy with other things right now.

Concerning your question about the bear. When you have the honey and your lantern is lit:
look cave, look bear, feed honey to bear

I started a few times part 4 and noticed that the map isn't completely random. The directions change, but a room is allways connected to the same rooms.

I haven't solved it myself yet. I still have to solve a few problems and I allways get robbed. Did you find how to recover stolen goods yet? One solution is to save a lot and when you are robbed load the game again, because being robbed seems to be random.

Alex

#56 Post by Alex » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:17 pm

Did you manage to catch the fish from the lake ?

terri

#57 Post by terri » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:09 am

I don't have the lantern so I can't get past the bear.

I have a long pole and the worm, but no hook to attach the worm to the pole.

Also I don't have any idea what the pants and shoes are for. To wear at the dog?

You likely have different objects than I.

I keep getting the message "I can't do that - yet" so I know I do not have all the objects I need.

Alex

#58 Post by Alex » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:21 pm

You can find the lantern when you have passed the quicksand, but to be able to get passed the quicksand you need an object which you can find when you have passed the dog.
To get passed the dog you get a hint when you look at him and then remember what liquid sometimes hangs from its neck when they are walking in snow.
To get the liquid you have to give the person which is near the liquid an object which you will find when you have passed the troll.
To get passed the troll you need an object which is on a high place.

I hope this will help you to get the lantern if not just tell me.

I also do not know the use for the pants or the shoes.

I've the following objects:

air bag
arrows
barrel
boat
brandy
canteen
gas
gold coin
grapes
guide book
honey
kerosene
kindling
knife
lantern
long pole
matches
pants
red cape
saddle
sharp stick
shoes
shotgun
snowshoes
trampoline
water
webbed hat
worm

The safety net I can't get because I first have to eat the fish. I think it is needed to climb the tall tree.

terri

#59 Post by terri » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:02 pm

I don't have several of the objects that you do. They are behind the closed doors.

That is the problem with this game. Every time there are different objects in different locations. Hence, my suggestion that people play the SAME game. This occurred in parts 2 and 3 as well. There should be enough objects readily available, so that you could then get another, and then another, all obtained in a different order.

My hints describe what objects are needed to get another object, regardless of order.

Often 3 objects were needed to get another object in the other parts. Not to mention specific vocabulary sometimes.

For example, I know I will likely need at least, the snowshoes and the brandy to get past the dog.

The trick is to know what items you already have or can easily get, in order to get the next one.

As of yet, I don't have the airbag, the boat, the coin, the canteen, the gas, the red cape, the saddle, and water. I know I need those, but given what I have, I can't seem to get anywhere.

The grapes are a new one.

It's also easy to miss a location. I was able to access 24 locations without solving any puzzle.

Alex

#60 Post by Alex » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:32 pm

Alex wrote:I have a long pole and the worm, but no hook to attach the worm to the pole.
You can put the worm on the sharp stick by typing PUT WORM ON STICK.
terri wrote:I don't have several of the objects that you do. They are behind the closed doors.
What doors do you mean? I only encountered the door from the boat house and I guess that is the place where the oars are to be found.
terri wrote:That is the problem with this game. Every time there are different objects in different locations.
As far as I know (by playing it a few times) only the exits of the locations in the fourth part change but the locations where you find the objects are allways the same.
Alex wrote:For example, I know I will likely need at least, the snowshoes and the brandy to get past the dog.
That's right
Alex wrote:It's also easy to miss a location. I was able to access 24 locations without solving any puzzle.
There are 30 locations in this part of the game.

Alex wrote:As of yet, I don't have the airbag, the boat, the coin, the canteen, the gas, the red cape, the saddle, and water. I know I need those, but given what I have, I can't seem to get anywhere.
Well lets look at them one by one. The first object you need from those is the coin. Did you get the trampoline (you find it in the playground) and did you look at the roof (outside the bank)? You have to use it to get the coin.