Broken Sword on Kickstarter

General chit-chat, ramblings, odds and ends.

Moderator: Alastair

Gunness
Site Admin

Broken Sword on Kickstarter

#1 Post by Gunness » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:48 am

When it comes to point'n'click games (which there must be other die-hard text fans that enjoy), the Broken Sword series are among the best out there. So I was immensely pleased to see that the series was getting a fifth entry via Kickstarter. The project is already in the black, so it's going forward and looking very promising. Any money beyond the immediate target is used to expand the game. Anybody else supporting this?

(In the meantime, another golden oldie, Wings, has tested the Kickstarter waters and failed epically. Maybe they should have dispensed with the bimbo from the presentation video? )

On the Broken Sword page, Charles Cecil (who began his career with the Artic text adventures) talks about a sequel to Beneath a Steel Sky, which I'd love to see. The original is one of the best point'n'click games from the 90's. Bring it on!

Mr Creosote

Re: Broken Sword on Kickstarter

#2 Post by Mr Creosote » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:51 pm

Among the best? The first one is so decidedly mediocre it'd almost comical. The second one is a puzzleless joke.

Gunness
Site Admin

#3 Post by Gunness » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:49 pm

To each his own ;) I really enjoy the story-telling, and it would appear I'm not alone. The first entry isn't the best, but we're definitely past the mediocre mark.

Alex

#4 Post by Alex » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:53 pm

Actually I quite liked playing the first part. But maybe being an archaeologist I'm a bit biased playing Indiana Jones like adventure games :) . The second part I played also but I skipped the third part which I didn't like. The fourth part was given an extra dimension supporting the AMBX system. Feeling the wind actually blow in your face while playing was kind of fun. If the fifth part is released I think I'll give it a try.

Gunness
Site Admin

#5 Post by Gunness » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:17 pm

The third game had a ridiculous number of "move the crates" puzzles, but the fourth was a definitite improvement. Except the non-skippable dialogue was very annoying. Never figured out what AMBX was :)
The funding for the fifth game is already in place, and for $15 for the cheapest package you can't go terribly wrong IMO.

Alex

#6 Post by Alex » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:09 pm

Gunness wrote:Never figured out what AMBX was
The AMBX system was actually a nice idea, but unfortunately only a few people (like myself :) ) bought the system and therefore it was embedded in only a handful of games. It gives a game a fourth dimension. For instance when you are playing a racing games the two fans blow wind inside your face and when you drive faster the wind grows stronger. Apart from the fans it consists of several lamps. Two of them you put on either side of your monitor and one with tree lamps inside behind your monitor. These lamps adjust their colour to the colour of the game. If you walk in a dark brown cave the lamps turn into the same brown colour or if you are near a fire the lamps turn red. The lights behind your monitor are even more interesting because when there is for instance an explosion they give a red glow and it makes you feel you’re inside the game. Apart from these features it also has a trill pad similar to the effect on a PlayStation but I don’t like that and never use it.

Mr Creosote

#7 Post by Mr Creosote » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:58 am

Oh, yes the storytelling... "Hello, I'm George Stobbart, an American tourist. How do you like this dirty tissue I'm shoving in your face?" :D

This AMBX sounds like fun. SimFrm would have been the natural candidate to support this. The smell of cow dung being blown in your face would have made that one all the more immersive...
Last edited by Mr Creosote on Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gunness
Site Admin

#8 Post by Gunness » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:45 am

"And the Academy Award for best original screenplay goes to...." :D

As for AMBX, I'd suggest we take it one step further and hand out scratch and sniff cards for all adventure games. That's retro gaming right there.

Alex

#9 Post by Alex » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:41 pm

Since a few months the complete version of Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse is available (initially the game was released as two separate parts). Has anyone been playing this? Is it good?

Gunness
Site Admin

#10 Post by Gunness » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:27 pm

I completed it a while ago (my wife and I have been playing through the entire series together). It's not the best in the series, but it's a perfectly fine entry. The visuals, atmosphere and tech side are all excellent, but the puzzles are generally too easy (almost all of them can be solved with nearby items). But we had a nice time playing it :)

Alex

#11 Post by Alex » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:00 am

Maybe I'll buy a copy. Looks nice for a rainy afternoon :) .