Smartphones

General chit-chat, ramblings, odds and ends.

Moderator: Alastair

Gunness
Site Admin

Smartphones

#1 Post by Gunness » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:09 pm

Well, this is the off-topic section, right? ;)
As I appear to be surrounded by tech-savvy people, I would like to ask for some input regarding getting a smartphone. My wife broke her mobile, so in a rare spur of unselfishness I thought she could get mine and I might start looking for a new toy.

Requirements:
- Affordable!
- Nice, clear screen
- Good selection of apps
- Without too many gimmicky features: I don't need the camera, and I couldn't care less about watching video on it or use it as a music player.
- Must be able to play IF/adventure games on it. See, this wasn't entirely off-topic after all.
- Should not be an Apple product.

I've also tried nailing down whether to look for a HTC (Wildfire/Desire/Legend etc.), a Samsung Galaxy or something entirely different. Suggestions?

Samwise

Re: Smartphones

#2 Post by Samwise » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:34 pm

Hi, Jacob.

Nothing beats reading around yourself, but my personal preference atm is for Android smartphones which can run Twisty, a z-machine interpreter.

I'd probably be looking at something from Samsung, if I was on the market atm. The Galaxy S is popular and rumour has it that they're also on the verge of unveiling the Google Nexus Two (tho whether it will actually end up being called that, is another matter).

My 2p's worth,

Sam.

Gunness
Site Admin

#3 Post by Gunness » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:05 am

Thanks for the input. I have indeed been reading various reviews around the net, but the majority are overly focused on features which I have little interest in (camera and such). And I simply lost track of the overwhelming number of models.

I have been leaning towards Android myself, so thanks for comfirming that :)

Gunness
Site Admin

#4 Post by Gunness » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:08 pm

If anyone's interested, I ended up with an LG Optimus One, running Android 2.2
I got it yesterday and installed Twisty right away. Works like a charm! So there's endless entertainment on the subway to and from work. I wonder how many mornings with icy-cold fingers it'll take me to get through Anchorhead (a classic I never got around to playing). It'll take some getting used to the keyboard, so right now progress in the game is excruciatingly slow ;)