What game to play?

Games written in Inform, Glulx, TADS, CAT, HUGO and similar. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Alex

What game to play?

#1 Post by Alex » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:08 pm

I have played hundreds of classic adventure games on all kinds of platforms, but I'm actually quite unfamiliar with the modern ones. Lately I started playing Bolivia by Night which I liked, partly because I used to live there, but it also had some interesting puzzles. I would like to play some more of them, but there are a lot of them and I don't have time to play them all. Is there anyone who can give me a top 5 of text adventure games from 2005-2015 which I definitely should try playing?

Gunness
Site Admin

Re: What game to play?

#2 Post by Gunness » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:18 pm

I can't give you a top 5, and I know this falls slightly outside your target range, but I found 2003's Slouching Towards Bedlam highly impressive.

... which leads me to another topic. I was checking some of the games over at IFDb, and I was wondering: what is it with these technology names?
Glulx? Blorb? (incidentally developed by a guy named Zarf?) Filfre?
So was this done on purpose to make the whole modern IF scene seem as esoteric as possible, or what's the story?

Alex

#3 Post by Alex » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:05 pm

I'll check it out , but I suppose there have to be also more recent games worth playing. Anybody any recommendations ?

Mr Creosote

#4 Post by Mr Creosote » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:17 am

Of course there are, but what gameplay style, focus and themes are you looking for?

Alex

#5 Post by Alex » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Mr Creosote wrote:Of course there are, but what gameplay style, focus and themes are you looking for?
No specific theme, but fantasy, mythology, archaeology, historical or horror would be nice. I prefer one were you have to type the commands (no multiple choice or clicking with a mouse).

Mr Creosote

#6 Post by Mr Creosote » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:45 pm

Well, I just play each year's IF Comp, anything released out of that will have gone under my radar. So don't take this as a "definite top list", but rather as subjective recommendations.

Brain-Guzzlers From Beyond: 1950s sci-fi parody
Darkiss: Old-school vampire puzzler
Untold Riches: Funny, laid back treasure hunt

15 Minutes: Funny time travel romp
Hunger Daemon: Cthulu comedy
Transparent: Clever haunted house game

Coloratura: From the eyes of the monster… (overrated in my view, but it did win)
Tex Bonaventure and the Temple of the Water of Life: Indiana Jones style adventure

Body Bargain: Disgusting (in a good sense!) horror game which really got under my skin
Changes: Excellent puzzles from animal perspective

Calm: Post-apocalyptic game with Beaurocracy style influences
Cursed: Fantasy game with a protagonist with a curse on his shoulders, making him one of three animals

One Eye Open: 1970s style psychic research horror set in a hospital
Divis Mortis: Zombie apocalypse survival horror

Alex

#7 Post by Alex » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:53 pm

Thanks a lot for this list :thumb: I'll check them out.