Magazine articles - tips for P.A.W.?

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

GreyHulk

Magazine articles - tips for P.A.W.?

#1 Post by GreyHulk » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:00 pm

I recall from my childhood a series of articles in a Sinclair Spectrum magazine giving you tips on programming adventure games in the Professional Adventure Writer (or maybe Quill).
Tips such as how to create somewhat intelligent NPCs which would follow you around, for example.

I cannot remember which magazine these articles appeared in. I've looked through some online scans, but I can't find them.

Does anyone have evidence of these articles and where they appeared? Really beginning to think I imagined it all!

Thanks in advance,
Neil

Alastair

Re: Magazine articles - tips for P.A.W.?

#2 Post by Alastair » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:01 am

Towards the bottom of the World of Spectrum entry for P.A.W. it states that Sinclair User published a few articles on playing and writing adventure games, are these the articles you are looking for?

Unfortunately the links at WoS are dead, but after a quick search I found an online site that appears to be the new address for one of the aforementioned dead links.

GreyHulk

#3 Post by GreyHulk » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:27 am

No, it's not them. This was a black & white series of articles. I have found evidence of articles involving Mark Cantrell from 'Your Sinclair' in Sep/Oct 1991. Looks like these are the articles. But I have yet to find them all.

EDIT: Looks like it's from Mike Gerrard's 'YS Adventures' articles. I seem to have pretty much answered my own question. :)
Attachments
Article03.jpg
Article03.jpg (230.36 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
Last edited by GreyHulk on Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

GreyHulk

#4 Post by GreyHulk » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:36 am

https://archive.org/details/your-sinclair-magazine seems to be a good place to get scans. :)

Garry

#5 Post by Garry » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:57 am

You can also try the mirror of the World of Spectrum magazine scans here:
https://wos.meulie.net/pub/sinclair/magazines/

Strident

#6 Post by Strident » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:34 pm

An old thread, I know, but Mark Cantrell (who wrote the YS articles referenced above) went on to create his own booklet containing PAW tips and tricks which can be viewed on the following pages...

http://www.8bitag.com/archive/process-one.html