Desktop PC with Windows XP Operating System.. Warning

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Colin Appleby

Desktop PC with Windows XP Operating System.. Warning

#1 Post by Colin Appleby » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:38 pm

As we progress from Windows XP to Win7, Win8, Win10 many older programs STOP working. It is advisable to keep an old Desktop PC with Windows XP Operating System to run those old Text adventures programs. It is ok if you have lots of Retro computers but there are so many old retro computers. With Windows XP you can run lots of programs with Emulators.

I like the "Power64" Emulator for the Nintendo64, "WinVice" for the Commodore 64 programs and "Speculator" for Sinclair Spectrum programs. There are of course many other Retro Emulators to download from the Internet for free.

Regards

Colin

catventure

Re: Desktop PC with Windows XP Operating System.. Warning

#2 Post by catventure » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:53 pm

Hi Colin,

Good points about that.
I am pleased to report that, as far as I know, my Windows text adventure creator (TAB retro-IF maker) will work on all PC Windows versions from XP onwards to latest current Windows.

catventure.
TAB is an offline, downloadable, parser-based retro text adventure/interactive creator for Windows XP and above.
It is similar to popular 80's adventure creators like QUILL, PAW, STAC or GAC.
http://tab.thinbasic.com/

dave

Re: Desktop PC with Windows XP Operating System.. Warning

#3 Post by dave » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:58 pm

You can run programs in compatibility mode on modern Windows. This makes it look like it is running on an older version of Windows (even as far back as Windows 95).

Alternatively there's DOSBox, or just make a virtual machine for use under VMware player (which is free).

I wouldn't connect any computer running stuff older than Windows 7 to the Internet just for safety.