Intercom Games on CP/M 2.2 running with RUN.COM Interpretor

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Colin Appleby

Intercom Games on CP/M 2.2 running with RUN.COM Interpretor

#1 Post by Colin Appleby » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:10 pm

Am looking for a copy to download of RUN.COM which is the CP/M 2.2 Interpretor for early Infocom games.

I have may Infocom DAT files for games but need RUN.COM.

Can anyone help.

Regards

Colin

Colin Appleby

Re: Intercom Games on CP/M 2.2 running with RUN.COM Interpre

#2 Post by Colin Appleby » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:16 pm

You can find many Infocom adventure game DAT files for CP/M 2.2 on ftp://62.49.23.243/main/GAMES/

We just need RUN.COM Interpretor to use them.
Regards

Colin

Alastair

#3 Post by Alastair » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:58 pm

There are a number of disc images for SAM Coupé CP/M 2.2 Infocom titles near the bottom of this page, but not having the means to look inside the images I do not know if any of them contain the program you are looking for.

Colin Appleby

Intercom Games on CP/M 2.2 running with .COM files

#4 Post by Colin Appleby » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:33 pm

Thanks for the information of the Sam Coupe website.

However I think I need the individual .COM files for each of the following INFOCOM games that run on CP/M 2.2. These are
Sorcerer, Spellbreaker, Station Fall, Deadline, Starcross, Suspend, The Witness, Infidel, Seastalker, Cutthroats, Suspect,
AMFV, Wishbringer, Ballyhoo, Hollywood Hijink, Moonmist, Trinity, Border Zone, Bureaucracy, The Lurking Horror, Nord and Bert,
Plundered Hearts, Sherlock, Arthur, Shogun, Journey.

Regards

Colin
Last edited by Colin Appleby on Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colin Appleby

#5 Post by Colin Appleby » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:39 pm

The Info-CPM.zip file still do not know how to download it.

Regards

Colin
Last edited by Colin Appleby on Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colin Appleby

#6 Post by Colin Appleby » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:18 am

I finally downloaded the Info-CPM.zip file but did not help me resolve the problem. My Browser stopped the download with its SmartScreen Filter. By disabling the Filter I managed to download the file OK. Not forgetting to re-enable it once I completed the download. Method was:
Open Internet Explorer
Goto Tools
Internet Options
Advance Tab
Security Category
Enable/Disable SmartScreen Filter (without tick)
Last edited by Colin Appleby on Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colin Appleby

Ballyhoo text adventure now running on NewBrain in CP/M Mode

#7 Post by Colin Appleby » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:26 pm

The Interpretor program (.COM) for CP/M has now been resolved for the Infocom text adventure game Ballyhoo and the program is now running on the Newbrain Emulator.

Colin Appleby

Intercom Games on CP/M 2.2 running with .COM Interpretor

#8 Post by Colin Appleby » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:23 pm

The Individual .COM files have now been modified to run their corresponding .DAT files on CP/M. We now have a total of 24 Infocom games fully running on the NewBrain in CP/M Mode. These are:
Cutthroat, Deadline, Hollywood Hijinx, Infidel, The Lurking, Moonmist, Plundered Heart, Spellbreaker, Starcross, StationF, Suspect, Suspended, Wishbringer, Witness, Seastalker, Sorcerer, Ballyhoo, Enchanter, Hitchhikers Guide, Leather Goddesses, Planetfall, ZorkI, ZorkII, ZorkIII. Great adventure games.

The only Infocom games we have not been able to convert to run on CP/M 2.2 are:
AMFV, Border Zone, Bureaucracy, NordandBert, Sherlock and Trinity.

Any help converting these games would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Colin

pippa

#9 Post by pippa » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:32 pm

AIUI some of the later Infocom games couldn't run on CP/M, or at least were never released for it. I'm not sure which ones, but IIRC they were from roughly somewhere about from AMFV onwards.
[b]~~[i] Pippa [/i]~~[/b]

Colin Appleby

Other Intercom Games ...

#10 Post by Colin Appleby » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:07 pm

There were other Infocom games but these were mainly Graphic with Text and were not intended for CP/M.
These were:
Arthur: The Quest For Excalibur (1989)
James Clavell's Shogun (1989)
The Journey (1989) for Apple II only
The Abyss (1989)

Could be others I have missed.

Now it is time to play these great Infocom games on my trusty NewBrain and NB Emulator.

Regards

Colin

pippa

Re: Other Intercom Games ...

#11 Post by pippa » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:37 am

Colin Appleby wrote:There were other Infocom games but these were mainly Graphic with Text and were not intended for CP/M.
Yes, but even the later text games weren't released on CP/M. I think they upgraded the Z-Machine specification (would it be Z5?) and CP/M wasn't powerful enough to handle it, or maybe it just wasn't popular enough to develop an upgraded interpreter for it.

We still had a CP/M machine at the time (Amstrad PCW) and I remember being disappointed I wouldn't be able to play games like AMFV.

Edited to add:

OTOH I suppose it might be possible that it was only the Amstrads with their non-standard single-sided floppy discs that didn't get these games. The new format .DAT files could've been too big to fit onto a single side. If so, it's possible they might've been released on other CP/M machines with bigger floppies, but as Amstrads were pretty much the only popular CP/M machines still around by then, it's unlikely.

Colin Appleby

CP/M 2.2 System and Emulators ..

#12 Post by Colin Appleby » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:36 am

There are not many CP/M machines out there still working. I use the Commodore 128, NewBrain AD and Amstrad, but there were many others like Kaypro II and Osborne and Altair with either 8 inch or 5.25 inch floppies.

Of the CP/M Emulators, I use Joan Rifts CP/M Emulator but this only works up to Windows XP. As for Windows 10 not many CP/M Emulators work. The exception to this is the NewBrain Emulator. Don't know of any others working on Windows 10.

Regards

colin

Colin Appleby

PC Emulators to run CP/M 2.2 Operating System ..

#13 Post by Colin Appleby » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:50 pm

These are the known CP/M 2.2 Emulators that run on the PC:
Joan Riffs Professional Z80MU
MyZ80 by Simeon Cran
RunCPM by Thomas Scherrer
Z80EMU by Joe Moore
NewBrain v2.64Beta13 by Chris Dispinidis
MESS multi platform Emulator

Only the NewBrain and MESS run Windows7 and above the rest run only up to WindowsXP.

There are of course other CP/M Emulators for other computers like MSX, Atari, Spectrum and Amstrad.

Regards

Colin

pippa

#14 Post by pippa » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:09 pm

You're running them on a CP/M emulator? Er... Why not just run the PC versions of the game directly? Or even use something like Frotz? Either way, it's gotta be a lot simpler, right...? I mean, they're still the same games no matter what you use to run them.

Colin Appleby

#15 Post by Colin Appleby » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:34 pm

I do run all the PC versions of the games directly using Frotz. However the challenge was to get as many Infocom games running on the NewBrain in CP/M Mode. The NewBrain programs and NB Emulator is my main interest and we have a great NewBrain website at www.newbrainemu.eu. Check it out we have over 300 members. Lots and lots to download.

Regards

Colin