another technical question

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

terri

another technical question

#1 Post by terri » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:05 am

Please tell me if I am posting this in the wrong area.

I am trying to play Warlord of Doom - BBC game.

I have finished Part 1, though who knows if completely and correctly.

It has complex instructions about how to load Part 2. I presume those instructions refer to a real machine not an emulator.

I am playing on BeebEm. Version 412.

I've tried entering various commands.

I see that the game is on .ssd (which I think means single-sided disc). So I would need a double-sided disc. Maybe that is the problem.

I tried downloading a tape image, rather than a disc image, but this gets me no further ahead.

The game isn't great, but it is playable.

Can anyone help me out?

dave

Re: another technical question

#2 Post by dave » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:00 am

From having a quick look inside the program (adv2) it tries to load a file called SWAP (which I presume is saved at the end of the first adventure). By default Beeb-Em write protects inserted discs, so saving this file would fail.

You can switch off write protect, by going File->Disc Options and making sure that "Write Protect 0" isn't ticked. Then try finishing part1 again. Reset the machine by pressing F12 (or break) and type:

Code: Select all

CHAIN "ADV2"
That should hopefully work.

To check whether the file SWAP exists, you can do a

Code: Select all

*CAT
and look for the file in the disc listing.

terri

#3 Post by terri » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:25 pm

This worked nicely, but to a point. The screen asks me if I am playing from the First half, or from a Saved game. I typed F (for the first half, but then the screen that comes up asks me if I wish to play another game?

Typing "Y" brings me to the beginning of the first game again.

Now I did not replay the entire game with Write Protect 0 off. Only since the last, or next-to-last saved game. Could this be the problem?

dave

#4 Post by dave » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:19 am

It sounds like the SWAP file hasn't been created. If you start the emulator and do a "Load Disc 0" from the menu, then type in *CAT, you should see a SWAP file. If it isn't there then I may have to do some digging.

terri

#5 Post by terri » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:47 am

There is nothing labelled SWAP.

What I see is:

Warloard/Doom (07)
Drive 0 Option 3 (EXEC)
Dir. 0.$ Lib. :0.$
!BOOT Adv1
Adv2 LOAD
War-L WarLord

So it looks like Adv2 is there, but how to access it?

When you first start the game it asks you if you want instructions. Typing <I> gives you some verbs, and then on the second or third screen, if spells out what you have to do to get part 2. It meant nothing to me, but maybe it will to you.