one dark night

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Alex

Re: one dark night

#31 Post by Alex » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:11 pm

At last got rid of the bear by poisoning him.

WhenIWasCruel

#32 Post by WhenIWasCruel » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:01 am

ok, done. good idea. i was thinking i had to do something east of the pool to get rid of the bear.

so, now we have the broom.

Alex

#33 Post by Alex » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:17 pm

Today I found one more secret passage, I located two more objects (the hairpin and the ring) and I've updated the map. Because the map appears to be complete now I've updated it to the site.

Below text contains some spoilers which I've made white.
I now have 52% and to get any further I need to know how to get the grapes from the vinyard (needed to enter the office) and where to get the lenght of rope (needed at the rats in the pool). I've searched everywhere but I can't find them.

Making the map I also was able to visit other parts of the game we can't visit yet and I know how to solve 87% of the game.

Objects I could not locate until now:

-length of rope
-tin, shrivelled worm (I guessed you obtained this by breaking the jar, but the worm dissappears when you break the jar)
-prayer book
-bunch of grapes (I guess you have to take them somehow from the vinyard)
-vial of water
-connecting plug

Objects I don't know how to use untill now:
-suit of plate armour
-newly wrought horseshoe
-tin, shrivelled worm
-wooden stake
-metal comb
-vial of water
-circular, oriental rug
-jet black crow

Questions I have:
-What to do at the crow in location 02
-How to search the cupboard inside 2e without the crow calling the woodcutter
-What to do with the willow tree in 3c
-How to get on the ledge in 45. I know you need the rope, but I can't find the right command to climb it.
-How to take the grapes in the vinyard
-How to leave te secret bathroom without being killed (do you have to block the window somehow with the rug?)

I'll keep trying

WhenIWasCruel

#34 Post by WhenIWasCruel » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:02 pm

for now i have no answers.

i think that the suit of armour is probably just a red herring.
the only thing that i know it does for sure is keeping you from climbing the stairs.

the crow in 02: if you attack it, you won't be allowed to enter the woodcutter's house.
i've tried to feed it with the handful of grain, so that it let me check the cupboard later, but it doesn't work. i even tried to give it the grain while in the house, but it doesn't take it.

i thought to use the circular oriental rug to corrupt the man in the vinyard (a nice round rug for your small hut), but it doesn't seem the right idea.

are you able to open the door between 69 and 74?

WhenIWasCruel

#35 Post by WhenIWasCruel » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:31 pm

examining your map, the solution to get out of the "secret bathroom" alive must be find the way to enter another secret passage to the west.

Alex

#36 Post by Alex » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:54 pm

WhenIWasCruel wrote:examining your map, the solution to get out of the "secret bathroom" alive must be find the way to enter another secret passage to the west.
No there already is a door but it can't be opened from room 62 because it is bolted from the inside, but when you are in room 63 and you type open you open the door. The problem is the baron enters when you try to leave the door. I was trying to find a way to somehow block the broken window in order to prevent the baron from entering the room.
WhenIWasCruel wrote:are you able to open the door between 69 and 74?
No strange thing is that in room 69 is a door, but room 74 does not have a door. Room 74 is reached by walking through another maze (the large cold cavern). I guess the door in room 69 like the doors in the west wall of room 61 are just scenery.
WhenIWasCruel wrote:the crow in 02: if you attack it, you won't be allowed to enter the woodcutter's house. I've tried to feed it with the handful of grain, so that it let me check the cupboard later, but it doesn't work. I even tried to give it the grain while in the house, but it doesn't take it.
The grain is used for another puzzle later on in the game. I suppose somehow we have to look inside the cupboard. I guess by now we should have found the length of rope and the prayer book somewhere because they are needed to solve some puzzles and when you have the prayer book at the beginning of the game you can't enter the library.
I'm not sure about the vial of water and the connecting plug. It could be that they are found beyond the point where we are stuck. Until now unfortunately I can't find any of them.

Concerning the grapes I've been thinking what to do with the man but I have no idea. I tried distracting him in one location but nothing seems to help.

WhenIWasCruel

#37 Post by WhenIWasCruel » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:39 pm

there's still a sealed barrel in 35. dunno if it's supposed to contain something. probably not.
surely i can't open it.

Alex

#38 Post by Alex » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:20 pm

WhenIWasCruel wrote:there's still a sealed barrel in 35. dunno if it's supposed to contain something. probably not.
surely i can't open it.
I guess not but who knows the objects have to be somewhere. I'll just keep searching :)

Talking about doors. Probably not very important but did you manage to open the door in the kitchen to enter the garden. Until now I just use the window in the study to enter the garden but I guess you should be able to use this door as wel otherwise the locations 76 and 6b and the puzzle with the rotten vegetables are rather useless.

The kitchen contains some barrels as wel. Maybe we should do something with them.

Alex

#39 Post by Alex » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:48 pm

Just solved the puzzle of the crow and did find one of the missing objects inside the cupboard. You have to feed him the worm in 02. But the only problem is how do we get this :) I guess it's the worm from the jar. But if I give the command break jar the worm has dissapeared. Any idea?

WhenIWasCruel

#40 Post by WhenIWasCruel » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:03 am

had a go re-examining things around, without any success.

Alex

#41 Post by Alex » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:28 pm

Being completely stuck I asked for some help (thanks Doreen :thumb: ). The worm you can find in the store room west of the kitchen (SEARCH SOUTH SACKS) and in the vineyard using the stake type WEDGE STAKE. You now can take the grapes without any problem. After leaving the woodcutter for some reason the prayer book appears in your inventory. I didn't notice this before.

I'm now stuck in the pool with the rats. I threw the rope onto the ledge but for some reason I can't seem to climb it.

Alex

#42 Post by Alex » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:37 pm

Just solved how to escape the secret bathroom without dying. You need an object from downstairs.

WhenIWasCruel

#43 Post by WhenIWasCruel » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:23 pm

great news. i'll try all tonight. did you locate the length of rope?

Alex

#44 Post by Alex » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:07 pm

WhenIWasCruel wrote:did you locate the length of rope?
Yes the only object I didn't find until now is the connecting plug.

There are only two objects I didn't use untill now the rug and the comb. (The armour is not a red herring)

Alex

#45 Post by Alex » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Alex wrote:There are only two objects I didn't use untill now the rug and the comb.
I was mistaken. I did use the comb, but I didn't use the hairpin.

I'm inside the mausoleum and untill now I haven't used the hairpin or the rug. I've 90%. I guess I have to find the connecting plug somewhere. I found a clue on a parchment inside the mausoleum, but don't understand the last part.