Mines of Saturn, early adventure for the Spectrum 16K

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Juan

Re: Mines of Saturn, early adventure for the Spectrum 16K

#16 Post by Juan » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:09 am

Eriorg wrote:
Juan wrote:Maybe we can interest one of the programming wizards around here to take a look at the program and see if they can figure out how in blazes are you supposed to cross that bridge?
It's actually supposed to be a random element with 9 chances out of ten to succeed (see line 2970 in the program), but it seems to be made completely impossible because of a bug! I don't think the program uses RANDOMIZE TIME to have "real" random numbers, which means that the random value is always the same first RND -- and it's a losing one!

I managed to make it work, however:

* First, interrupt (with BREAK twice) the game at the beginning (the first screen of text).
* Then, type:

2970 LET ok=0:RETURN

(Note: just type L for LET and Y for RETURN.)

* Then, type the "C" key (to CONTINUE).
Excellent! I have just finished the game thanks to your bug fix. I will write a walkthrough for it and put your bug fix instructions. Shall I credit you as "Eriorg"?

Eriorg

#17 Post by Eriorg » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:59 pm

Juan wrote:Shall I credit you as "Eriorg"?
Yes, thank you!

terri

#18 Post by terri » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:46 am

I tried to follow your instructions but I'm not sure I was successful.

I tried waiting several turns at the bridge, and also going N/S several times, but this didn't work. What is the random rate? Still 9 times out of 10?

I'm not very good at these technical things.

Would it be possible to send me either your fixed game, or your first save?

Eriorg

#19 Post by Eriorg » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:34 am

terri wrote:I tried to follow your instructions but I'm not sure I was successful.
Unfortunately, it seems that you weren't successful: with my bug fix, you should never die when you cross the bridge. (So it's actually a bit more than a bug fix, because it also suppresses all the randomness -- but we won't really miss it, will we? :wink: )
terri wrote:Would it be possible to send me either your fixed game, or your first save?
I could send you a snapshot file (although I don't know if such files (.sna) work with all emulators or not -- I used EightyOne on Windows). But this forum apparently refuses attachments :( (it says "The extension .sna is not allowed", but the extension .txt or no extension at all aren't allowed either: what IS allowed?) and I can't find any way to attach files to private messages either!

Gunness
Site Admin

#20 Post by Gunness » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:11 pm

Eriorg wrote:But this forum apparently refuses attachments :( (it says "The extension .sna is not allowed", but the extension .txt or no extension at all aren't allowed either: what IS allowed?) and I can't find any way to attach files to private messages either!
I'm always open to suggestions that can make the board more useful. But as I don't usually read through all threads, it's easiest if issues like the one you mention are posted in the Site Feedback area (or people can just send me a private message).

As for attachments, they should be allowed in normal posts. That's the board setting, anyway. But as a test I've also allowed attachments in pm's. I'm just very cautious after the latest bout of spammers, and I'd rather not see users wind up with spam files in their inbox. But let's see how things work out :)
Please let me know if this work ok.

Eriorg

#21 Post by Eriorg » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:59 pm

Gunness wrote:Please let me know if this work ok.
Thank you... but no, it doesn't work. There's exactly the same error message when I try to send the file in a PM: "The extension sna is not allowed."

However, I think I've found the solution on the Internet: see http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 6&t=635105 , for instance. You could allow .sna extensions that way (and probably .txt, too, because that could be useful).

Note that I don't particularly need attachments in PMs: it's OK for me if they're only allowed in normal posts -- as long as I can send my .sna file!

Gunness
Site Admin

#22 Post by Gunness » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:21 pm

We aim to please!

The number of settings in phpBB3 is... overwhelming. But after browsing through the list mentioned in the link, the odd thing is that a lot of file types - including .txt - are supposed to be allowed. That would indicate that the problem lies elsewhere. Anyway, I've tried adding .sna.

Does it work now?

Eriorg

#23 Post by Eriorg » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:43 pm

Gunness wrote:Anyway, I've tried adding .sna. Does it work now?
No... BUT I've found that .zip files are allowed! So... here's my snapshot:
Attachments
FixedBug.zip
(5.24 KiB) Downloaded 60 times

Alastair

#24 Post by Alastair » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:29 pm

The first download on the World of Spectrum page may be bugged, thanks Eriorg, but the second "MinesOfSaturn(different).tzx.zip" appears to work.

Re. Uploading, as Eriorg has discovered, if a forum will not accept a certain extension then you can almost always zip it up and post the zip, this also has the benefit of creating smaller up/downloads.

Juan

#25 Post by Juan » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:09 pm

Alastair wrote:The first download on the World of Spectrum page may be bugged, thanks Eriorg, but the second "MinesOfSaturn(different).tzx.zip" appears to work.
Yes, duly noted. I hadn't thought about testing that other version.

terri

#26 Post by terri » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:51 pm

My how complicated, all this turned out to be.

I hadn't thought of downloading the (different) version either.

But, playing another game (with the same scenario, i.e. a "different" .txz version), the same thing occurs - there is a "bug" in the first version.

So, thank you all gentlemen, not only for de-bugging this game, but for explaining why the other game I am playing doesn't work either.

Now, if I can just remember this for the future.

Eriorg

#27 Post by Eriorg » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:08 am

Well, terri, do you want to write an e-mail to World of Spectrum, so that they know which versions of these two games are bugged? They could put warnings on the site, or even remove the bugged versions: that would help other players!

Alastair

#28 Post by Alastair » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:01 am

I did get around to reading the instructions :)

If you die you are supposed to type G 1 [enter] the game will then restart. (For this to work on a Spectrum 128 you have to start in "48 BASIC" and load the game with LOAD "".)

So using the original game I found that after two deaths and restarts that at the third attempt I could cross the bridge. The game may be bugged but it can be completed, and as it appears to be the original version WoS will probably want to keep it.

terri

#29 Post by terri » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:43 am

If my hypothesis holds true, I might ask them about the other game.

Anyone want to try the companion piece to this game. There is a version that has both games, but Part 2 (Return to Earth) is empty. So you need to find the separate game. It too, does not appear difficult to solve. Some trial and error needed.

I have found all the objects so far, but don't know where/how to use the pistol and the knife.

Since you guys are so fast and good, you'll probably finish it before I do.

There were instructions, eh?

And where did you find them, Alastair?

We should all be flogged with a wet noodle, as Ann Landers used to say.

Alternatively, if you are using Spectaculator as your emulator, you can switch models easily, without having to type in commands.

Juan

#30 Post by Juan » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:23 pm

terri wrote:Anyone want to try the companion piece to this game. There is a version that has both games, but Part 2 (Return to Earth) is empty. So you need to find the separate game. It too, does not appear difficult to solve. Some trial and error needed.

I have found all the objects so far, but don't know where/how to use the pistol and the knife.

Since you guys are so fast and good, you'll probably finish it before I do.
I've already finished that sequel (walkthrough already sent to Jacob along with one for Mines of Saturn.) It is as easy as, if not easier than, the first game. Plus there are no weird bugs or commands to enter after you die.

The pistol has no use, so forget about it. The knife is used at the end. All you have to do is carry it with you.