[AMIGA] Dark Obsession - How to get in the restaurant?

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Nameless

#16 Post by Nameless » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:23 am

Sorry for not replying sooner... but I can't offer much help at this point.

I want to applaud those who put up with the bugs in the game though. I played it to the restaurant point, and ran across several rather terrible (and really inexcusable) bugs. But I couldn't remember the solution to get past that point.

I have a feeling it's some sort of weird command needed, but perhaps not at the restaurant itself, or a needed object is hidden somewhere else. Or worst case, it's a weird bug causing a problem.

I'll continue trying to figure it out, or find the source code. It's a game that badly needs a recompiling with bug fixes.

Nameless

Re: [AMIGA] Dark Obsession - How to get in the restaurant?

#17 Post by Nameless » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:46 am

After digging through my old discs again, I found the source code. Or at least source code to a version of the game -- not sure if it was the last build or not.

Anyway, the solution at that particular spot appears to be to search for the same car in the boyfriend's photo -- it's a corvette, I think, while in the parking lot.

Then once you find it, use the coat hanger to unlock/enter the car.

However... and it's a big however, the build I played previously had a bug at this spot, so I'm not sure if that bug exists in the same version people here are playing. I know some people have finished the game outside of these forums, so it is doable, but it could be that an extra buggy version of the game is out there too.

Now that I have the source code again, I can tidy up the code and fix any bugs, assuming the code is complete.

terri

#18 Post by terri » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:22 pm

I haven't found a photo of the boyfriend and his car.
Can you give a hint where it is?

Nameless

#19 Post by Nameless » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:34 am

Did you search the shelf of the closet in the apartment? There should be an envelope there.

After examining the photo, I suggest trying 'search corvette' while in the parking lot outside of the restaurant -- or perhaps in the adjacent lot.

That should work. I think. Maybe...

Plissken

#20 Post by Plissken » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:00 pm

Wow, great! I almost gave up my hopes on ever progressing in this game. Thanks a lot! :D

A question: how the player is supposed to know about the corvette? The descriptions of the parking lot don't give any clues.

Nameless

#21 Post by Nameless » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:16 pm

According to a glance at the code, once the player has seen the corvette in the photo, all they would need to do is 'search corvette' (or 'examine car'), while in the lot, and then you will find it.

So the player would know from the photo, assuming the photo was examined first. If photo was never found, then we end up with the 'being stuck' problem.

And I am assuming the code works properly and I'm reading it correctly. Worst case, I'll include a fix in with a recompile, which I plan to do anyway for typos/spelling errors/other bugs. WinUAE makes working with ancient code a lot easier.

terri

#22 Post by terri » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:54 am

Thanks you, author, for the hints about the photo.

I have made some progress, though not sure it is correct. I meet Julia and Stan. I get away. I'm now at the elevator with a dead Stan and an unconscious Julia, gagged and "tied" to the fixtures. What to do now, since you can't go anywhere?

Additional help would be appreciated.

terri

#23 Post by terri » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:05 am

OK. I've finished the game with Michael's help. I've written up a solution, though that isn't as simple as it sounds, because I forgot to do one tiny little thing and it took me some time to replay.

I've not got the full score possible, and don't really know what else I need to do.

Anyway, Plissken, is this the name you want in the solution? Or if you've written one already, let me know.

There are very few hints I can give, but that's OK.

Plissken

#24 Post by Plissken » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:20 pm

That's great! :D
For the name, if you want to put it in the solution, use "Snake Plissken".
However, i am stuck at the elevator too...

terri

#25 Post by terri » Sat May 01, 2010 11:52 pm

At the elevator, you need the rope, the handcuffs and the scarf. The rope is at the pile of dirt. I didn't think I saw it before, but it is there. Don't know how I missed it.

I won't send the solution to Jacob until you finish, in case you get more points than I. I got 225/250, so I have missed something.

Plissken

#26 Post by Plissken » Wed May 05, 2010 8:29 pm

I can't find the rope. Where is the pile of dirt ? :(

terri

#27 Post by terri » Wed May 05, 2010 10:57 pm

After you examine the ashtray and the cigar (the latter is absolutely necessary), go E, E, E, E, N, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN. At this point you are either in the lobby or the ground floor. It may be where the chair is (I don't have a map), then go north (to a dark alley) then, (I believe), E, E, E, S, S. It's there.

Plissken

#28 Post by Plissken » Mon May 10, 2010 2:59 pm

I've completed the game with a score of 230/250. The ending reminded me a bit Deep Red by Dario Argento. Was the ending inspired by it?

terri

#29 Post by terri » Tue May 11, 2010 2:01 am

Way to go!. I will pm you my solution, (if I can figure out how) and maybe you can figure out where you got the five more points.

Nameless

#30 Post by Nameless » Tue May 11, 2010 5:24 pm

I just wanted to say a thank you to those who worked on the solution and put up with the bugs and very picky parser.

And the ending was probably inspired by reading way too many EC horror comics...