What happened to Lantern of D'Gamma

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

terri

#46 Post by terri » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:46 pm

To add to your quest for knowledge... pleased I can do so.

I use both Imperial measurements and metric, the former because I have recipes from pre-metric days, as well as utensils.

At the level of "cup" = 250 ml, the difference doesn't really matter.

But at the level of gallons and litres, it can have a difference, i.e. filling a pail.

2 cups = 1 pint
2 pints = 1 quart
4 quarts = 1 gallon

If you don't know this by heart, you are younger than I.

1 litre is not the same as 1 quart. Don't remember which way, less or more. I recall, when we switched to metric, and went from gallons to litres at the gas pump, there was a lot of confusion. Students just learned the new measurement system. We older folk kept converting, which, of course, we were told not to do. But a cereal box, weighing 432 gms was hard to deal with.

At the level of millilitres, it's not an issue at all, unless you are adding hot peppers or something of that ilk.

Temperature was easier to deal with.

It's been at least 30-35 years since Canada switched. Measurement objects (i.e. buckets) used to come with both, and I'm not sure if they still do.

Trivia, I got lots of, stored in various parts of the cranium; problem-solving ability - sorry to say, is waning somewhat. Not to mention the - duh!! mistakes which we all make.

There is no way I could have helped in this game. I have enough problems with random elements in games. However, I am very pleased to see that there are all kinds of people in/on this forum who, very nicely, tell you, you are not of the "brilliant" persuasion.

Ciao,

Anything else you want to know, just ask. I am a font of absolutely useless bits of information, which I am more than pleased to share at the drop of a hat.

Alastair

#47 Post by Alastair » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:14 pm

terri wrote:2 cups = 1 pint
2 pints = 1 quart
4 quarts = 1 gallon

If you don't know this by heart, you are younger than I.
I know about pints, quarts, and gallons, it's just - as I said - that we don't have cup as a defined measure. We still use pints (and halves, thirds, and multiples of pints) for beer and milk, and it wasn't that long ago that petrol pumps changed from gallons to litres (though we still measure petrol consumption in miles per gallon, go figure). Just don't ask me about fluid ounces, then my eyes will glaze over!

terri

#48 Post by terri » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:57 pm

Fluid ounces? As compared to ounces?

I have always thought that ounces were a volume measure, though I understand that it is a weight measure.

OK - I will not add to this dilemma any further, though I recall some discussions and confusion in the past about volume/weight distinctions, esp in cooking.

I'm too old for this.

Isn't it interesting, how something one thought was simple is not?

Life, and learning and information, continues to challenge me.

Isn't this fun???

andreas

#49 Post by andreas » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:26 pm

terri wrote:Fluid ounces? As compared to ounces?

I have always thought that ounces were a volume measure, though I understand that it is a weight measure.
Not too difficult, think of gold which is still measured in ounces.
If ounces were volume, you could buy "a litre gold", or, if you insist, a couple of cubic square inches of gold :P

terri

#50 Post by terri » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:20 pm

"cubic sqaure inches?

Now that's a good one. :D

billy7720

Re:

#51 Post by billy7720 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:15 am

Alastair wrote:The news from 1999 ( http://solutionarchive.com/news99.php ) states that this is a list of updates for Druadic's site, unfortunately that site has either moved or is no more.
Sorry about that guys! My site was destroyed by the server and so other sites offered to take my maps and keep them for me. Yes, I actually owned and ran "The Apple // and IBM Adventure Map Archives" but alas; it is gone. :(

I worked hard on that site and they destroyed it. Sorry!

billy7720

PS: I was Druadic :) Makes me laugh to know folks posted about that site somewhere else that I never knew existed! Glad I found CASA!!! :)

Alastair

Re: What happened to Lantern of D'Gamma

#52 Post by Alastair » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:17 pm

Billy,
how did you work out the solution to the shaped buttons puzzle? Is this one of those puzzles that requires additional material that comes in the game's box?

billy7720

#53 Post by billy7720 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:13 am

To be honest, I haven't played this game is EONS. If memory serves, it has to do with certain items OR there is something in the manual. You guys have the solution here in CASA. I just saw it. Looks like it has to do with mathematics or something.

Alastair

#54 Post by Alastair » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:46 pm

Billy,
we know that the answer to the shaped buttons puzzle is BFGIL because Angus hacked the disk, the problem is that we never worked out why the answer is BFGIL.

The attached picture shows the problem.
Attachments
LoDG-Tiles.png
LoDG-Tiles.png (1.31 KiB) Viewed 1717 times