Dragonstar Trilogy by Fergus McNeill

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Garry

Re: Dragonstar Trilogy by Fergus McNeill

#16 Post by Garry » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:54 pm

I had some really nice room descriptions that were more concise than the originals, but retained all the flavour. When I had room left over, I changed many of them back to the original. Then I discovered the stone table with the inscription. All the funny characters in the inscription had been replaced by question marks by UnQuill, so I replaced the question marks with the correct graphics characters and had to add three blank lines to separate the rows. At 40 bytes per row, that's an extra 120 bytes. BANG! Database full. Aw, crap.

I hadn't saved those concise room descriptions anywhere, so I had to do some of them again and re-enter all those funny graphics characters. When playing, I discovered a few messages that needed a leading blank line. So, more cutting down on room descriptions to gain another 120 bytes.

I've now got 2 bytes to spare. I kid you not! If I need any more, I'll have to revisit those room descriptions yet again. Oh, why didn't I keep a backup of the concise room descriptions?