CP/M Adventure Creator "game40" and related games

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Strident

CP/M Adventure Creator "game40" and related games

#1 Post by Strident » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:00 pm

I've just come across a (fairly basic) CP/M adventure creator that doesn't seem to have been documented in very many places.

It was originally written by David Goodenough, some time before 1990, and was later expanded by Larry Schnitger to handle bigger games.

There's a "tiny" demonstration adventure and also a much longer "Star Trek" themed one, called "Star". The source files are provided for both. It seems like a fairly, programmer-style system... but these are Boston-based/MIT-type geeks, so that's not a huge surprise.

In addition, Susan Schnitger and Larry Schnitger wrote a big game called "Faust". I've not really explored that one yet, but I did manage to track the files down. No idea if there are any more games made with the system out there. I was just surprised that it wasn't already documented in the usual places.

I'll be adding some entries for the games & system soon. I've attached a link to the files, should anyone want a nose before then. I've mostly been playing on the Sam (using ProDos) but also extracted the files from the .lbr file and also made some disk images to make them easy to play with CP/M Plus on the Amstrad CPC6128. The system was really designed for systems with disks of a slightly larger capacity, though.

http://8bitag.com/temp/game40.zip

ChickenMan

Re: CP/M Adventure Creator "game40" and related games

#2 Post by ChickenMan » Fri May 20, 2022 11:50 am

FAUST has been available for a long time as its included on the Walnut Creek CP/M CD-ROM released in the early 90's. Its in JSAGE\ZNODE3\LATEST\FAUST.LBR and as a standard CP/M file it runs well on the Microbee.