Ork! House of Fortune c64

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Alex

Ork! House of Fortune c64

#1 Post by Alex » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:22 am

Yesterday I played Ork! House of Fortune. It's not bad, but unfortunately the version I have apparently has some bugs. I solved most puzzles, but couldn't solve the following problems:

-If you dig with the shovel, you are attacked by giant worms. I think you should use the machetti, but USE MACHETTI doesn't work.
-Because of this I can't get the rusty key. I think it is used to unlock the guest house.
-I think the golden key is used to unlock the keyhole to the secret passage, but UNLOCK HOLE won't work if you hold the key.
-I have the stake and the hammer and I suspected that the sleeping Dracula should be found in the coffin, but when I OPEN COFFIN all I find is the diamond ring without Dracula.
-I have no idea what to do when you've found all five treasures. Returning to the game's starting location doesn't work:

If you look at the code, you should get the following text:

PLEASE ENTER YOUR NAME

THE ORK! HALL OF FAME

THE MASTERS:
BRETT WALKER
DANIEL MARTIN
TRENT JENKINS

THE WESTIES:
BRENT WARDLEY
MICHAEL INNES
TRAVIS DAVIDSON

THE AMATEURS:
NATHAN VERCOE
WAYNE LOADER
MICHAEL MARTIN

SEND TO THIS ADDRESS:
MR. B. WALKER
R.M.B. 256 CRESWICK
363. VIC. AUSTRALIA.

FOR DETAILS OF OUR LATEST ADVENTURES AND TELL US WHAT YOU THOUGHT OF ORK! HOUSE OF FORTUNE

If someone knows how to solve these last problems (or has a bugfree version), please let me know.

Strident

Re: Ork! House of Fortune c64

#2 Post by Strident » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:10 pm

Alex wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:22 am
-If you dig with the shovel, you are attacked by giant worms. I think you should use the machetti, but USE MACHETTI doesn't work.
-Because of this I can't get the rusty key. I think it is used to unlock the guest house.
-I think the golden key is used to unlock the keyhole to the secret passage, but UNLOCK HOLE won't work if you hold the key.
-I have the stake and the hammer and I suspected that the sleeping Dracula should be found in the coffin, but when I OPEN COFFIN all I find is the diamond ring without Dracula.
-I have no idea what to do when you've found all five treasures. Returning to the game's starting location doesn't work:
The response to CLUE, certainly implies that Dracula is meant to be killed with the stake while sleeping.

Looking at it quickly, there's a fairly interesting choice of vocab...
GO, GET, TAKE, SEARCH, EXAMINE, LOOK, USE, READ, SAY, TIE, INVENTORY, SWING, SPRAY, SHOOT, FIRE, CLIMB, HELP, CLUE, LIGHT, UNLIGHT, EXTINGUISH, DIG, DRINK, EAT, DROP, LEAVE, OPEN, THROW, LIFT, MOVE, HAMMER, OFFER, HOLD, QUIT, LOAD, SAVE

SWING MACHETTI perhaps? But that SPRAY sounds interesting.

I'll take a look but I doubt I'll get any further than you... Judging from your map, it's a pretty sprawling game!

Alex

#3 Post by Alex » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:42 pm

Thanks! I've uploaded some hints in the form of a partial walkthrough including all the parts I was able to solve and the issues I couldn't solve so you can use it if you get stuck on one of the problems I did manage to solve.

Alex

#4 Post by Alex » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:08 pm

Alex wrote:

I managed to confirm that this is indeed the key you need to unlock the guest house.

Alex

#5 Post by Alex » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:30 pm

Alex wrote:
I just found out that you can kill Dracula once you open the coffin. HAMMER STAKE works even though you can't read in the description that Dracula is there. Strange because I guess you should have been able to read that you found a "sleeping dracula". However, the usefulness of killing him is not clear to me.

jgerrie

#6 Post by jgerrie » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:17 am

Have you seen this vid?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-VakwFrYbs
I'll look into getting the source somewhere and working on the bugs as I convert it to MC-10.

jgerrie

#7 Post by jgerrie » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:22 am

Wrote too soon. Looks like it's not BASIC. Sorry. Can't help.

Alex

#8 Post by Alex » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:10 pm

jgerrie wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:17 am
Have you seen this vid?
Yes I did see it, but that person didn't get as far as I did. Unfortunately no clues there on how to solve the last two problems (worms and opening the secret passage).
jgerrie wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:22 am
Wrote too soon. Looks like it's not BASIC. Sorry. Can't help.

It seem to be compiled BASIC. If it was uncompiled I wouldn't have problems solving it.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help.

Strident

#9 Post by Strident » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:28 pm

I think there were some programs that could technically decompile compiled BASIC programs on the C64.
https://commodore.software/downloads/ca ... -compilers

Alex

#10 Post by Alex » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:06 am

Strident wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:28 pm
I think there were some programs that could technically decompile compiled BASIC programs on the C64.
https://commodore.software/downloads/ca ... -compilers
Thank you, I know that site. Unfortunately, these programs only work for programs compiled with a few specific compilers.